Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: X is for Xenoblade! And...xylophone!

Those mechanics get explained when you do the side quests required to enter into the next story mission.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I really dislike that I can't fast travel or view the area/world map without using the padlet.

I hate the padlet. Like a lot.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I really dislike that I can't fast travel or view the area/world map without using the padlet.

I hate the padlet. Like a lot.
    While I agree that having to use the padlet to have the functionality at all is a bummer, the actual fast travel functionality itself is really good. As second screen utilisation goes, this is about the best I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

While I agree that having to use the padlet to have the functionality at all is a bummer, the actual fast travel functionality itself is really good. As second screen utilisation goes, this is about the best I've ever seen.
    Yep, it's the only game so far where that extra screen is essential for the purpose of just information viewing. My only complaint is that all of the equipment management and party/classes etc aren't also done on the second screen, in real time.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

The actual functionality of the padlet for fast travel and FN management is good. It's just that I really don't like holding the controller for hours on end. It's too heavy, and the batteries don't last long enough, making it not a wireless controller. The shape of it isn't bad either, but the pro controller shape is unquestionably better. I'd have liked a map accessible from the main menu that I could fast travel and manage FN with, instead of having to reach over to the charging station of my padlet every few minutes and fiddle with it while putting the regular controller on the table or in my lap.

I'm also really worried about breaking it because a new one costs like 120 smurfing dollars, and just having a display makes it easier to break than any regular controller would be. Don't forget that a lot of crucial console functions are impossible to perform without the padlet. You won't be able to update your console with a new password if you have to change the wifi password, for example. In fact, you won't even be able to change to a different wifi at all without it, or change any of the other console configuration settings.

Because of that, I try to use it as little as possible just because I am a pretty clumsy person.

In other news, I used my capture box and photoshop skills to make a panorama screenshot. Enjoy.

I might make more when i find even prettier locations.
    Last edited by Mirage; 12-16-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Also the text is too small, especially for 720p. The game could greatly have benefited from a 1080p UI resolution with the 3D graphics scaled up from 720p.

This x1000. I'm struggling to read text while wearing glasses unless I use the padlet to read stuff instead. It's kind of annoying to switch between the two.

Also I've spent most of my time exploring the city or being a goat (scaling cliffsides) x3 I actually really like walking around lost and exploring though. I haven't had nearly enough time to really get into the game yet.

Personally, I think I'm done with XCX. I find myself with opportunities to play it, but I keep making excuses to avoid it. Now I'm sitting here bored, and I still don't want to go play it. I legitimately would rather complain about it than play it.

I really WANT to like the game, but I can't. It has a ton of massive design flaws that just really kill the game for me.

First, it's too easy to miss stuff. The game is too damned open. I still have no clue if I've talked to everybody in New LA, nor is there any telling how many Affinity Chart updates or quests I've missed.

The inventory system is absolutely wretched. I seriously don't understand what moron thought this was a good idea. It's one of the worst inventory systems I've ever seen in a game. Every piece of gear is unique. I have no clue what any of it does. I have no clue what the stats do. I have no clue what the abilities do. The game doesn't explain anything. And every piece of gear is unique, so I never know what to keep and what to throw away. It's actually WORSE than the abominable system that the original Xenoblade Chronicles had.

The open world design sucks. It just sucks. Putting level 45 enemies in a starter zone is fine, but you then add in quests to go kill them that are available twenty minutes into the game (oh, and the quest difficulty rating is complete bollocks, as is the map difficulty suggestions). There is no flow to the quests, no proper difficulty scaling, no elegance to the design. It just dumps a crap load on you all at once, doesn't give you any way to sort them, nor any way to actually tell which ones you have a chance of taking on.

So, I'm stuck. I don't want to move on with the main story because I don't want to miss stuff, but I don't know what else I can do because the game doesn't explain anything. There's some NPC hiding under a rock that only shows his face when it's raining in Primordia while you're wearing a swimsuit and jump off the roof of the chapel or something that I'll miss if I progress the story. Or, at least, I'll miss their introduction, and their personal story and dialogue that changes as the game goes on.

And I'm still pissed that the game tracks how many times a mob has killed you. It's like it's sitting there going "this guy killed you ten times, HA HA". If I ever meet the designer who put that "feature" in, I'm going to punch him in the throat.

So, yeah. I think I'm done. I really enjoy the exploration, and I like the characters, but the game doesn't communicate anything to you, and I have no idea how much I CAN do in the game at this point. Honestly, if someone broke into my house and stole the game, I wouldn't try to replace it.

Well, I finally got back on this.

I'm agreeing with a lot of what Skyblade said above me. I like the exploration element. I like how the world feels like this really living thing with its own ecosystem. I hate how all that ties into the game mechanics. Like how I'm doing a Story mission where the required level was '1' (I'm about 15) but all the enemies are between 18 and 22. The power progression is just a mess. Oh and gear levels. Smurfing gear levels!!! I hate how pretty much every piece of gear I pick up in drops are either a) trout compared to current gear or b) good compared to current gear but I can't equip it for another 10 levels... at which point it'll be mediocre.

Oh and I just encountered a new alien species with the most horrendously annoying voice ever, because they gave them Chipmunk voices. I never thought anything could surpass the abomination that was Sarah in Star Ocean 4, but here we are. I'm helping these aliens with something and every time I talk to them I just want to set fire to their entire world.

I can't say I'm not enjoying it. I am still enjoying it. The Xenoblade heart underneath still beats strong and keeps me engaged.

But god damn it's fighting me every step of the way.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> The more I hear complains about this game the more I want to play it!
    If I only had a wii-u
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

don't read if you're starletactually seriously let down by the ending.

also the mech combat is bad, and it doesn't look like you can do a whole lot of superbosses on foot, so I just dropped all of those too. I just don't find the combat any interesting in a mech.

Probably not gonna get the next game, at least not at full price. However, nintendo never cuts game prices so that means probably never.

I really enjoyed the exploration though, and the abundance of high level enemies all around me didn't bother me much.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

don't read if you're starletactually seriously let down by the ending.

also the mech combat is bad, and it doesn't look like you can do a whole lot of superbosses on foot, so I just dropped all of those too. I just don't find the combat any interesting in a mech.

Probably not gonna get the next game, at least not at full price. However, nintendo never cuts game prices so that means probably never.

I really enjoyed the exploration though, and the abundance of high level enemies all around me didn't bother me much.
    >>> Now I want to play it EVEN MORE!!!!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Why exactly?

Blog Entries

STOP TELLING ME TO NOT PRESS THE BIG RED BUTTON

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Why exactly?
    >>> Dunno, something tell me that I will just like it..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

but i thought you said the game was going to be too easy because the physics weren't realistic...