Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Internet Critics do you follow?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Are internet critics critics on the internet or critics of the internet?
    Questions like these keep me up at night o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Are internet critics critics on the internet or critics of the internet?
    A bit of both?

That being said, I liked spoony until he met his sjw gf and went all insane... seriously, when he streams he literally tells his audience to go smurf themselves and rages so hard. I'll still watch countermonkey though.

I like PBG and SpaceHamster, used to watch jontron and gamegrumps but meh not any more.

Nostalgia Critic was cool back in the day and i'll watch any bennett the sage ep where he talks about something i've seen.

AVGN was cool but he's become like a fast food chain that forgot its roots and is doing too much other stuff now.

I think that's about it.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, we're including Game Grumps? Not really sure if that counts as a critic type of channel. While they do occasionally critique games they play it's a very light let's play channel that works more like a podcast while playing video games since they'll talk about random stuff.

Anyway, that's the channel I watch the most. Helps that there are three videos a day on it. I just really like the whole crew, especially Danny. I was one of the few that didn't freak out when Jon left because I already knew who Danny was because of NSP and I had confidence that the channel would still be awesome. That said, I was bummed Jon left, but ever since then a lot of his best JonTron material has come out, so I'll take that over him being on GG honestly.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Seems like most people are over Spoony these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I need to check out JonTron's stuff. Saw him as a guest in James & Mike Play and he seemed all right.

Are there any good critics out there who specializes in Sega games? I know one, but he is WAY too family friendly for my liking.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jar Jar Jinks View Post
    I don't say what I said with happiness, either. While Spoony has always been a bit of a drama queen, he's made up for it with top tier videos. Let's Play videos are harder than most people think, and he managed to carry hour or more videos at a time just by himself. And that wasn't even the main focus of his channel! His movie and video game reviews were clever, funny, and very informative.

I have him on my Twitter feed and all he does is complain and fight with his fans. He'll live tweet watching wrestling and it is clear he gets zero enjoyment out of it. He'll say stuff that he knows will instigate his fans and then acts all offended when people call him on his BS. It's really disappointing. It's like he's too good to say he simply doesn't like something.

Recently some fans told him to give Undertale a shot and he was dismissive of it. That doesn't bother me. Honestly, as much as I love the game, I know Spoony well enough after years of watching him (as far back as most of his site's material was his articles/pre TGWTG stuff) that Undertale is NOT for him. He wouldn't enjoy it at all.

What does bother me is how he chose to respond to his fans. Now, most normal people would say, "I understand this game is all the rage right now, but it's not for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though." What did he choose to do? Take a look at a screen shot or two, insult his fans, dismiss the game as "hipster garbage" (??????), and then sarcastically said something like, "I'm sure the game is great guys."

One of my buddies who would defend Spoony even if it turned out that he was somehow literally Hitler is done with him now. To me, that's absolutely insane and shows how far he has fallen and how his fans are really tired of his nonsense. I honestly can't understand how anyone from TGWTG crew can stand dealing with him. Maybe his internet bark is worse than his real life bite, I don't know.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's appropriate his favorite wrestler is The Ultimate Warrior. Because he's on the path of his own self-destruction!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I don't say what I said with happiness, either. While Spoony has always been a bit of a drama queen, he's made up for it with top tier videos. Let's Play videos are harder than most people think, and he managed to carry hour or more videos at a time just by himself. And that wasn't even the main focus of his channel! His movie and video game reviews were clever, funny, and very informative.

I have him on my Twitter feed and all he does is complain and fight with his fans. He'll live tweet watching wrestling and it is clear he gets zero enjoyment out of it. He'll say stuff that he knows will instigate his fans and then acts all offended when people call him on his BS. It's really disappointing. It's like he's too good to say he simply doesn't like something.

Recently some fans told him to give Undertale a shot and he was dismissive of it. That doesn't bother me. Honestly, as much as I love the game, I know Spoony well enough after years of watching him (as far back as most of his site's material was his articles/pre TGWTG stuff) that Undertale is NOT for him. He wouldn't enjoy it at all.

What does bother me is how he chose to respond to his fans. Now, most normal people would say, "I understand this game is all the rage right now, but it's not for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though." What did he choose to do? Take a look at a screen shot or two, insult his fans, dismiss the game as "hipster garbage" (??????), and then sarcastically said something like, "I'm sure the game is great guys."

One of my buddies who would defend Spoony even if it turned out that he was somehow literally Hitler is done with him now. To me, that's absolutely insane and shows how far he has fallen and how his fans are really tired of his nonsense. I honestly can't understand how anyone from TGWTG crew can stand dealing with him. Maybe his internet bark is worse than his real life bite, I don't know.
    I agree, it's quite a shame. After his Ultima Retrospective (which is awesome, and even Rob likes and we quote it), he kind of lost it for me.

But I remember waiting with anticipation for his next installment of Phantasmagoria, back when YouTube only allowed 10 minute videos. Those were the best days.

So yeah, I also miss old Spoony. And I used to have a crush on him and have sex dreams about him, but not so much now.
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post

I agree, it's quite a shame. After his Ultima Retrospective (which is awesome, and even Rob likes and we quote it), he kind of lost it for me.

But I remember waiting with anticipation for his next installment of Phantasmagoria, back when YouTube only allowed 10 minute videos. Those were the best days.

So yeah, I also miss old Spoony. And I used to have a crush on him and have sex dreams about him, but not so much now.
    Yeah, his Ultima videos were GOLD. And Phantasmagoria...wow, that was such an awesome LP. I might have to watch that one again.

"I heard that, Curtis!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember checking out his X-2 videos. They were hilarious. Though a lot of it came from the game itself.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Spoony is a genius of comedy and very knowledgeable but it's a shame he's such an elitist. He has some mental health issues which I can understand but he can be downright incendiary about trout that just doesn't matter and will write off stuff for no other reason then he see it as "beneath" him. It's sad and I'd love to see him make a comeback but that's unlikely.

People I like who don't really make content anymore/I've lost interest in:
    The Spoony One
    Nostalgia Critic
    The Cinema Snob
    The Nostalgia Chick
    Obscurus Lupa
    JonTron

People I still watch and enjoy:
    The Completionist
    Game Grumps
    ProJared
    SpaceHamster
    PBG
    Satchbag
    Caddicarus
    Todd in the Shadows
    GameTheory
    Yahtzee
    Jim Sterling
    Rob Has a Prodcast

Lesser known Youtubers You Really Really Must Watch:
    DanGheesling
    BaerTaffy
    Lazy Games Reviews
    Pushing Up Roses
    Brutal Moose
    quill18
    MattChat

Blog Entries

I don't like Nostalgia Critic but I like Doug Walker (and his brother). His nostalgia critic videos have a bit too much fluff and are a bit too over-exaggerated but when he's just sitting in front of a camera talking about movies with or without his brother in a sensible manner he makes some interesting arguments with solid humorous insights. The only downfall is there aren't any clips edited into it so sometime's he'll describe a scene and I'll have trouble trying to picture which scene it was in my head.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Nostalgia Chick is my alltime favorite reviewer and someone I follow religiously, but sadly she hasn't been uploading lately at all since the blipocalypse happened. Hope she comes back soon But yeah, I always liked her much more than the Critic and I love how she developed her own style later on. Idk, just taking a more analytical/academic approach rather than simply summarizing the movie and adding comedic scenes works a lot better for me and has helped shape my own sense of humor and critical thinking.

I also love Sursum Ursa's Stuff You Like. It's refreshing to see someone focusing on the positives and still being super intelligent and academic about it. Plus, she's Catholic and awesome, which makes her show resonate with me more XD

And then there's Rantasmo and Needs More Gay. I have learned so much about LGBT culture from him and I love everything he does to bits. Short and to the point, Rantasmo may not be as academic as Lindsay, but he's still really funny and insightful.

In general, I love everything on Chez Apocalypse. Nella has her Let's Read on there too, there's Vampire Reviews with Elisa, 50 Shades of Green is just incredible, and then there's also Brows Held High... Long live Chez Apocalypse! (or at least let's hope they come back soon... )
    I very much like your taste in online media criticism, which is practially a 100% match to my own. I'm also mourning the demise of blip.tv, though it's great that a lot of Chez Apocalypse's contributors have continued releasing content on their own Youtube channels.

I follow a few media criticism shows - not as many as I used to, since I'm now drawn almost entirely to series with a strong analytical bent as well as good entertainment value.

In no particular order, I try never to miss anything by:
    • Lindsay Ellis
    • Jill "Sursum Ursa" Bearup
    • Jamie/"Rantasmo" ('Needs More Gay')
    • Todd "In The Shadows" Nathanson
    • Kyle "Oancitizen" Kallgren

...and basically any other Chez Apocalypse mainstays.

To a slightly lesser extent, I also follow work by Paul "Paw Dugan" Schuler, his wife Elisa Hansen (another Chez Apocalypse contributor, but currently not producing following blip.tv's demise), Leon Thomas ('Renegade Cut') and Sarah "Pushing Up Roses" Wilson.

On the gaming side of things, I'm an avid viewer of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, Dan "Nerdcubed" Hardcastle, and Anita Sarkeesian. I also catch the occasional video by "Guru Larry" Bundy Jr.

Dr Stuart "Ashens" Ashen is my go-to guy for random tat you won't find reviewed (or eaten) elsewhere, and Mike Jeavons also contributes to that particular niche from time to time.

I recently started watching Rye's back-catalogue of literature videos, and I really need to finish catching up.

I do a little reviewing myself, together with a couple of friends, though we're entirely non-commercial at this stage and got into it purely out of enjoyment of the products we investigate. There's 'The Sesh', as linked in my signature, where we provide text and video reviews of craft beer, and 'The Single Malt Review' which is all about whisky and other top-shelf spirits.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't like watching neckbeards so I prefer Rye tbh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Can someone give me that link already! People keep talking about Rye's awesome reviews, but I can't find her, which is sad, becasue I remember when she was here and we may have even talked once or twice