Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What anime series should I watch next?

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post
    Whooooa
    Whooooooooa
    Whoooooooooooooa

This is an anime thread and no one has mentioned Neon Genesis Evangelion??? Heathens!

Get on it
    I've become really tired of the original series

Rebuild of Evangelion is pretty sweet, though!
    Loved the original series but the last two episodes....ugh that budget cut lol Thank the lord for Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion lol NGE was my first anime ever, it was on adult swim and I was 5yo (probably not a good age to be watching it xD) but its mainly my nostalgia talking for the original series xD

Rebuild of evangelion is epic though +___+

End was pretty smurfed up tho
    Ohhh yeah o____o I think most of the show was smurfed up in general xD

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Eh. Eva was never my thing.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Hmm, it seems you have similar tastes to mine. Don't know many that actually watch Planetes before much of the mainstream stuff.
    He watched Planetes 'cause I recced it to him. I have good taste in animu.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Boku no Pico
    ... is for people who have no souls. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Clannad has so far been excruciatingly boring but I'm told it picks up, so here's to the future episodes (I think I'm on episode 4 or 5 and falling asleep often).

I dislike super timid characters which is probably my main gripe with Clannad up to the point I've watched so far. You know... characters that are always apologising and always getting upset and always sad anda;siodgh;aietgh urgh I just find it unenjoyable to watch characters like that.
    If you can't make it through episode 7 or 8 (the end of the first arc), then you should drop it then and there. Like I said before, it's formulaic, but if you don't like the formula, don't bother. The show's claim to fame doesn't happen until well into the second season.

The apologizing is based on Japanese culture. Normally it's played for laughs, but Western culture considers it offensive/passive-aggressive. If you don't like timid characters, you won't like the next arc, you won't like the end of the first season, and you won't like the beginning of the second season.

Attack on Titan - Really interesting plot, good characters.
    Btooom! - I like the characters, and apparently I'm a sucker for a Battle Royale based on a video game. Quite liked the voice acting.
    Fullmetal Alchemist - Took me a while to get into it as it started a bit too slow for my liking, but after about the 5th-6th episode I was invested and interested. I liked the plot and humour and a bunch of the characters.
    Based on these, I might suggest Fate/Zero. It's a battle royale with Pokemon based on mythological figures. Excellent fight scenes, and your standard Urobutcher utilitarianism fare. First episode is an info dump, but watch it anyway. It helps to establish a lot of rules in the show's world, and that will carry over if you ever wanted to watch Fate Stay Night. Subs and dubs both available, 25 episodes.

If you want a show that's more like SnK/Attack on Titan, I might suggest Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri. It follows a similar idea as SnK/AoT, survival against an attacking whatever; however, it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously. Story is unfinished, but there is a season 2 coming out soon. Subs only, recent airing, 12 episodes.

Mentioning Btoom! does actually make the No Game No Life rec make sense.

Nisekoi - Enjoyable plot & characters, funny.
    Toradora - Enjoyable plot & characters, funny.
    >> nisekoi
    >> plot
    >> mfw

Not sure if you've seen Nisekoi's second season, though.

Bakemonogatari fits pretty well here. Don't be thrown off by the unique art style or reading the random flashcards. They're just quotes from the novels describing the scene. They add nothing. Beware of Japanese puns. The show is not in chronological order, but the intended watching order is the airing order. People are free to disagree, but they're also free to be wrong.

If you want to watch something that reverses the genders, you could watch Ouran High School Host Club.

I can't say anything about Gangsta, as I've only heard reviews calling it an intense disappointment and I don't intend to investigate myself. I haven't seen Planetes, but I know it's about space janitors.

Another recommendation I can make is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. One of the most absurd series I have ever seen. It's just perfect.
    I vehemently recommend against starting this show. Unless you have an understanding of 2005-2010 Japanese politics or post-reconstruction Japanese history, a strong understanding or tolerance of Japanese culture, or a library of knowledge concerning 2000-2010 anime, large chunks of this show's comedy is completely lost after the first six episodes.

What happened to the Kizu movie? is it still coming out?
    It's being split into three movies. The first is coming out on January 8th, expect speedsubs 12 hours after the first airing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Nisekoi's "plot" is ridiculous and that's why I like it. I've seen all the episodes I could... obtain. Pretty sure I've seen all there is. Plot might be the wrong word for it, basically I find the story enjoyable.

Methinks I'll have to give up on Clannad but I'll give it a couple more episodes. I've disliked central characters before (I wasn't a fan of the super-short central character in Toradora!, more so I enjoyed all the others and simply tolerated her) and enjoyed a series despite it, but the characters that interest me most in Clannad get very little relative screentime.

I've actually been watching Brooklyn Nine Nine lately to get myself "off" anime so I can enjoy anime more when I go back to it. Hopefully the variation in shows will help me enjoy both more. I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever I watch next so long as it isn't going to be full of timid crybabies. >_>
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Tatami Galaxy is a fun, lighthearted one that I would recommend!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Clannad has so far been excruciatingly boring but I'm told it picks up, so here's to the future episodes (I think I'm on episode 4 or 5 and falling asleep often).

I dislike super timid characters which is probably my main gripe with Clannad up to the point I've watched so far. You know... characters that are always apologising and always getting upset and always sad anda;siodgh;aietgh urgh I just find it unenjoyable to watch characters like that.
    If you can't make it through episode 7 or 8 (the end of the first arc), then you should drop it then and there. Like I said before, it's formulaic, but if you don't like the formula, don't bother. The show's claim to fame doesn't happen until well into the second season.

The apologizing is based on Japanese culture. Normally it's played for laughs, but Western culture considers it offensive/passive-aggressive. If you don't like timid characters, you won't like the next arc, you won't like the end of the first season, and you won't like the beginning of the second season.
    As much as I love CLANNAD, I have to agree. While I also didn't start caring much for CLANNAD until mid second season I never found the first season boring and I quite liked all the characters and the cast is one of CLANNAD's high points so if you don't like them it's not going to go too well.

It does keep getting better but there's no major shift from the formula it establishes early on.

Fate/Zero is definitely worth watching but I'd wait on that because I technically find Fate/Stay Night to be the better entry point into the Fate/ series.

You could also try some other major classics like Death Note or Code Geass.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Code Geass. There's a little bit of everything there, and it's a fairly original take on both fantasy and meccha. Puella Magi Madoka Magica is also an awesome series; someone else mentioned it earlier on with the proper Japanese name. It's a magical girl anime, but a very unique take on it that isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and has a bit of a creepy psychological edge to it.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

My vote is Madoka Magica. I know its not on your list, but it seems you like dramatic and dark anime, so it's a good fit.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Paranoia Agent is my favorite anime, though I haven't seen it in a long time. It's fairly short too.

Out of what's on your list, all I've seen is Clannad and most of Bleach. I did enjoy Clannad and Clannad After Story, but I can agree with what others have said in that you probably won't enjoy continuing watching it if you don't already like it. Bleach I enjoyed in high school, but always felt like it never quite lived up to the potential that was set up for it at the beginning. I did a complete watch of the show up until the point I left off in the manga back in high school where I felt I got a somewhat satisfying conclusion, but I mostly felt it a waste of time because I really didn't enjoy it all that much.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is great. I saw it before I saw the original FMA anime (seems weird thinking of it like that since Brotherhood follows the original manga story), so that might skew my perception a little. I couldn't get into the original FMA stuff despite realizing it was good because Brotherhood felt more satisfying to watch to me. I've heard other people say they much prefer the original FMA who watched that one first. I'd say it's worth a watch though.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Nisekoi's "plot" is ridiculous and that's why I like it. I've seen all the episodes I could... obtain. Pretty sure I've seen all there is. Plot might be the wrong word for it, basically I find the story enjoyable.
    We use the term "skillfully acquired." If you've met her mom, that's all of the episodes so far, not counting OVAs.

I wasn't a fan of the super-short central character in Toradora!
    Ami is best girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Fate/Zero is definitely worth watching but I'd wait on that because I technically find Fate/Stay Night to be the better entry point into the Fate/ series.
    That would only be true if he wanted to play the visual novel. If he's only willing to watch ufotable's F/Z and UBW, then Fate/Zero is the intended first watch. With the way that UBW is structured, it provides reasonable conclusions to each of the common characters' central plot devices. ufotable's UBW assumes you've seen F/Z.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah the Fate series is pretty great too.
    Definitely start with zero and watch stay/night second as its an immediate sequel.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That would only be true if he wanted to play the visual novel. If he's only willing to watch ufotable's F/Z and UBW, then Fate/Zero is the intended first watch. With the way that UBW is structured, it provides reasonable conclusions to each of the common characters' central plot devices. ufotable's UBW assumes you've seen F/Z.
    I don't know. I started the series with Fate/zero, and I stopped watching it around halfway. The anime gets really smurfed up. I'm not sure if that is the best introduction to the Fate series. I actually rewatched Fate/zero after /stay night and it went down a lot better now that I had context.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    I don't know. I started the series with Fate/zero, and I stopped watching it around halfway. The anime gets really smurfed up. I'm not sure if that is the best introduction to the Fate series. I actually rewatched Fate/zero after /stay night and it went down a lot better now that I had context.
    That's the thing about prequels. I've never seen the Fate series, so I can't comment on it specifically, but I always roll my eyes when people tell others to watch prequels first. Not only do you usually need context, but the drama is lost on you, because the drama usually stems from how it's connected to the original. It's like telling people Birth By Sleep is the best entry point into Kingdom Hearts :