Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: star wars 1-3?

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I don't mind them too much, but Attack of the Clones has the borderline obsessive Anakin that's cringeworthy.

Blog Entries

The acting in 1 was ok, story was meh. Acting in 2 was horrible, story was ok. Acting in 3 was meh story was decent.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Android: She loss the will to live.
    Obi-Wan: That isn't fatal.
    Android: Yes it is. It's totes is. I read about it in a book once.
    Obi-Wan: ...
    Android: Welp, I gotta go! There's a big sale on new robot parts and I plan to be first in line! -runs off-

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to have to take issue with the idea that the LotR trilogy used as much cgi as the prequels. They really didn't. Maybe a similar amount to what was in episode I, but that's because it still used actual sets, models, and other practical effects techniques in places it made sense. In the other two though, there was almost nothing. Even places where real sets would have been easier and made more sense, they green screened it all. LotR on the otherness had tons of practical effects and sets and it was fear that any scene was entirely cgi. It also had integration with the cgi and physical stuff that was stupidly good,probably because they didn't blow the entire animation budget on the entire movie. Gollum still looks stupidly good and quite seamless. Far better than anything in the prequels, or even the Hobbit trilogy to be honest.

It really just does not compare. The cgi in the prequels is so bad it makes ILM look like hobbyists.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They are not as good as the original, largely because Lucas isn't as good of a writer and director as he thinks he is. Even a New Hope always felt the weakest to me in terms of pacing and writing in the original trilogy. Barring the Ewok nonsense of Return of the Jedi, what made Empire and Jedi better films was handing the rough draft of the script over to better writers to flesh it out and work with it, as well as getting stronger directors to helm the films while Lucas produced.

The Prequels are largely hampered by bad writing, poor use of characters, trying to keep the films kid friendly, and fan-baiting nonsense like Yoda fighting. The stories of all three films lack any real cohesion beyond a few elements that tie them together and the films have a rough time deciding whether they want to be character driven or plot driven and just kind of meander back and forth making the story feel like jello. The original trilogy had the Rebels vs. Empire schlock but it served as a backdrop for the character stories, whereas the prequels spend time trying to build up the and deal with the Clone Wars while at the same time trying to make the story spend time developing characters when it remembers to.

The original films had Luke as an anchor of a character for which the three trilogy's revolve around. The prequels don't really have anyone though it tries its best. The Prequels would have done better had they centered on Obi-Wan (especially since McGregor nailed the role rather well despite the problems in the script) and watched Anakin's fall from grace from an outside perspective.