View Poll Results: Do you think that Adele's song 'Hello' is overrated?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 81.25%
  • No

3 18.75%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adele's 'Hello': Overrated?

Look, I never meant to slate Adele. I'm not judging her subject matte, or her talent. She's got a great voice, and is a great songwriter.

But, for me personally, her songs have become a bit samey. That isn't an attack on her personally. It's just my opinion on her songs. If each one speaks to you in a unique way, that's great! But, for me personally, they just repeat the same few messages.

Now can we all dial down the defensiveness/aggressiveness/passive-aggressiveness, please?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Amusing that you ask to dial down 'aggression' in a thread calling an artist's work overrated and opening with the phrase 'derivative wailer'.

Anyway, if you think that post was defensive then you are going to have a hard time dealing with conflict when it actually comes your way. When someone doesn't agree with you and tells you so and why, that doesn't automatically make them defensive or aggressive.

Though I will give Formy a pass because those knee-jerk come to your SO's defense posts are hard to resist, even when completely unnecessary.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Articles
    Blog Entries

See that green spot in the image? That's Luigi suffocating in Mario's shadow.

Adele has an amazing voice, but man this song is a downer. Especially after being played on the radio for the 1,000th time.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm...not sure if I heard it. My work environment is on a shop floor. While I can listen to my own music on headphones certain tasks require me to have my ears open so I hear random pop and rap on the radio. I have no idea how anyone listens to the radio as it is. The commercials are way too excessive and all stations cycle through the same 8 to 12 songs an hour. Occasionally they'll try to spice things up by playing a hit from a few years ago to seem like they have variety.

I try not to get music snobbish because there is something out there for everyone. The same rush I get when I hear a well crafted guitar solo in a prog metal song is the same type of rush someone else might get if they hear someone on American Idol wail. Coincidentally, my father and I were talking about this today and we both feel that it's a shame that the music industry in general doesn't care at ALL for people who play instruments. It's all about people singing. That's fine and all, but I feel people focus WAY too much on that.

Even when the odd band that does break the mainstream, no one really cares too much how people play. They only care if something is catchy or whatever. Again, I know there are people out there that enjoy things like that, but to me it is very bland and boring.

Anyway, I just wanted to weigh in on having an opinion about music in general. I think arguing about musical taste is a waste of time. Even if you find someone that closely matches your taste in music chances are not too many people will feel the same exact way that other people do. Songs get overplayed and will always get overplayed till the end of time. There's always going to be that song out there that one can't stand. And there will always be people that don't like things you can't fathom people not liking. I once angered my father because I told him I didn't care for The Who. People have gotten upset at me because I think Queen is just alright. I HATE Bill Joel's "Piano Man." I'm sure one of those opinions set someone off who is reading it. But getting mad at that would be just as silly as getting mad at people eating different things than--

*looks at Quina's Kitchen*

Oh.

Oh...

Ohhhhhhhhh........

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, if I may add to the conflict/aggressiveness part, the topic opened as a debate on whether she's in a creative rut, not if you like her or not. What now you try to reiterate to being subjective, you first tried to place in an objective light. People have provided strong arguments why it's not a creative rut. And since the people who provided you with counterarguments are passionate about her, can you really blame them for being riled up?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If you thought any part of my post was passive aggressive or defensive then you're mistaken. I've directly addressed points that have been made in this thread.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Debate is aggressive/defensive now? Oh my...

You wound me with your cutting barb, Vivi.

I'm a bit stressed out from Christmassy stuff, so I'm probably reading too much into stuff and being paranoid. It just seemed like people were saying that I have some kind of personal grudge against Adele or saying that she's untalented.

Let me reiterate that I don't think the deficiencies of 'Hello' - which I'm personally not that fond of - are due to any kind of lack of talent on Adele's part. Rather, I think she's wasting her talent on unchallenging, market-ready material. I know she could do better, so I'm a bit disappointed.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sadly passion can be difficult to discern from things like anger when talking over interwebs. It's all good.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Sadly passion can be difficult to discern from things like anger when talking over interwebs. It's all good.
    Smiley's do help though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I haven't heard it.
    I don't know HOW you've managed that. It's smurfing everywhere!
    Not too hard when you don't listen to the radio or watch TV

Articles
    Blog Entries

Aggression? Defensiveness? Passive-aggression? Paranoia?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Okay, so I took a listen.

It's a decent song. I found it a little repetitive, but not too bad. She managed to squeeze a little more length out of it compared to many other pop songs.

Also, over 730 million views? Daaaaamn. Apparently a lot people don't think she's played out.