View Poll Results: Do you think that Adele's song 'Hello' is overrated?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 81.25%
  • No

3 18.75%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Adele's 'Hello': Overrated?

I'm indifferent, I don't love or hate the song. I looked it up when everyone was hyping it and I was a bit disappointed, it was a good song but she has better songs, didn't live up to the hype for me. Music video was kinda blah. Also it's Adel so if a less famous singer was singing it, I doubt the song would be blasting everywhere.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love Adele but this song and her video for it are boring and redundant.

Less snippy comments to each other and more about the song though please.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Less snippy comments to each other and more about the song though please.
    Noted.

I actually went ahead and listened to some of the rest of her album, and there are a few good songs. In particular I liked River Lea and Million Years Ago. I Miss You is also a good song, which reminds me of Florence + The Machine's sound.

Ultimately though, I just find the album retreads ground already covered. I fear we're going to have to disagree on this, Miriel. For me, a soulful melody becomes insipid with repetition. I agree with you that authenticity is always essential, and is in fact one of Adele's key strengths. But Adele, as the album title states, is older. She is 27 now, and she must have had a wide range of experiences. She is a mother, and has found fame and fortune. No doubt she has opinions on both, as well as other personal topics that relate to her. I'd find it interesting for a few of her songs to concentrate on these areas, explore them.

The vast majority of her songs are related to heartbreak and personal relationships. In and of itself, this is perfectly fine. But by now, I personally would find it a missed opportunity to not song-write about other areas of her life that are just as compelling and interesting as personal heartbreak. It is not silencing or policing the female voice in any respect, and I don't feel anyone on this board has done so. Female song-writers, no, all song-writers should be encouraged to explore personal topics that matter to them. Adele does this, and should be applauded for doing so.

Rather than silencing her voice, I would think it a good idea for her to use her voice to explore other areas of her life. She has done so in some places: the odd song in 25 touches upon other issues; Million Years Ago reflectively looks upon old friends, and Remedy explores themes about her family.

Should Adele continue to write more songs, I do hope she continues to write songs in that similar vein. There's nothing wrong about singing about heartbreak, but I just feel like after three albums, we have yet to see other emotions other than seriously sombre. It is difficult not to picture Adele in black and white.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post

Should Adele continue to write more songs, I do hope she continues to write songs in that similar vein. There's nothing wrong about singing about heartbreak, but I just feel like after three albums, we have yet to see other emotions other than seriously sombre. It is difficult not to picture Adele in black and white.
    Honestly though, why is this a problem? Or something that needs to change? It's her style. It's how she likes to express herself. There's a place for this. We don't need Adele to sing about other things since there's plenty of other artists to deliver on that front. Just let her do what she likes best. It's not like she's contractually obligated to sing about other stuff too.

I don't want to sound mean, but from a creator's standpoint I just feel that it's a pretty dickish thing to expect a creator to make something in a specific way. The reader is always right when they something is wrong with your text, but they're always wrong when it comes to solutions.

As you're only a casual Adele listener (as am I) take a look at this from another perspective. Someone I know played FFVII and loved it. Then they beat VIII, and was still happy about it, if a bit underwhelmed. And then they didn't even finish IX. Why? Because they felt they were essentially the same game with a paint job. All FFs are about saving the world in one way or another, character development, plot twists, and some metaphysical stuff. And yes, that's true - but for fans, that's exactly WHY they come into the series, why they keep playing it, why they love it. And they love it enough that they see past the similarities and will tell you in vivid detail how different they are. So this here's why Adele has no obligation to change anything about her art and there's nothing objectively wrong about her consistent tone. It's your opinion - you don't like it, and that's that.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think I read that she didn't write the songs herself for this album. Like she did but she had help this time. While her last album they were all written by herself with no help.

For more fuel to this fire

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I don't want to sound mean, but from a creator's standpoint I just feel that it's a pretty dickish thing to expect a creator to make something in a specific way. The reader is always right when they something is wrong with your text, but they're always wrong when it comes to solutions...

... So this here's why Adele has no obligation to change anything about her art and there's nothing objectively wrong about her consistent tone. It's your opinion - you don't like it, and that's that.
    It's precisely my opinion. Look, I'm not telling Adele to change her music style. There's a lot of talk of 'expectations' whenever I post, so perhaps I should clarify that I'm not like some bullying studio director wanting to change her entire artform. I don't expect her to change her music simply because I would prefer her to do something else. It's not 'dickish', and I am not a 'dick', for simply stating my polite, reasoned suggestion. And suggestions do not have to be listened to, either.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Finally listened to this new Adele album and it's totally different to the other tones in her other albums, it's fantastic and she rocks so yeah go listen to the album before you call her out for bein samey.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I actually went ahead and listened to some of the rest of her album, and there are a few good songs. In particular I liked River Lea and Million Years Ago. I Miss You is also a good song, which reminds me of Florence + The Machine's sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Finally listened to this new Adele album and it's totally different to the other tones in her other albums, it's fantastic and she rocks so yeah go listen to the album before you call her out for bein samey.
    I have, as a matter of fact. It's a weird sort of album where the songs that will never get as much of a spotlight as her more well-known ones (Hello, for example) were actually my favourite songs of the bunch. I loved the experimental ones the most, basically.

Hello? Is it me you're looking for?

Strongly Dislike.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    I can see it in your eyes, I can see it in your smile.

The only true hello song.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    I can see it in your eyes, I can see it in your smile.

The only true hello song.
    I strongly agree!