Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Having watched it, Ray is about the only thing seriously dragging the movie down for me.

Everyone immediately loves her, she instantly excels at any task put in front of her regardless of how believable it is (Everything she did on the Falcon, immediately learning how to both defend her mind AND in turn read the mind of Kylo Ren, having never even seen it done before she was able to pull off a Jedi Mind trick on the storm trooper, both of these done without any kind of training, and after Kylo Ren is clearly beating her in their duel she's all 'hey I can just use the force' and proceeds to immediately kick his ass badly. I know he'd already been shot by Chewie and cut by Finn, but that fight was still so one sided up until 'lol force' that it still felt ridiculous.) And among all these things, there seems to be no flaws. You get one brief moment where she has a hard time accepting her past after grabbing the light saber, but that's pretty much it, and it's not really a flaw its an entirely believable reaction to what happens, yet is never touched on again.) The actress was great, but the character itself was just terribly boring.

Outside of that and a couple minor issues here and their, I thought it was pretty great. Casting was excellent, I loved Han and Chewy's comeback (Even Laia was pretty awesome), the call backs were amazing (I laughed so damn hard at the Trash Compactor line), Finn and Co (The Pilot Finn escaped with) were both fantastic, the action was great, and so long as they don't mess it up I think Kylo Ren has a lot of potential in this story.

And I had the Han thing spoiled for me before hand, but it still hit me hard when it happened.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just saw this finally. It was a pretty good movie overall, but I dislike how much of a rehash it felt like. I think I can forgive it later if they move away from that in later films though. I swear to God though, if Kylo gets some sort of redemption I'm going to be pissed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do kind of hope Finn gets some Jedi powers, too. I don't know why, but I feel as if he and I have some sort of... connection. Hell if I know what it is.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I do kind of hope Finn gets some Jedi powers, too. I don't know why, but I feel as if he and I have some sort of... connection. Hell if I know what it is.
    Well, you were in the movie so you should know already.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Well, you were in the movie so you should know already.
    Holy carp, I'm adorable

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Having watched it, Ray is about the only thing seriously dragging the movie down for me.

Everyone immediately loves her, she instantly excels at any task put in front of her regardless of how believable it is (Everything she did on the Falcon, immediately learning how to both defend her mind AND in turn read the mind of Kylo Ren, having never even seen it done before she was able to pull off a Jedi Mind trick on the storm trooper, both of these done without any kind of training, and after Kylo Ren is clearly beating her in their duel she's all 'hey I can just use the force' and proceeds to immediately kick his ass badly. I know he'd already been shot by Chewie and cut by Finn, but that fight was still so one sided up until 'lol force' that it still felt ridiculous.) And among all these things, there seems to be no flaws. You get one brief moment where she has a hard time accepting her past after grabbing the light saber, but that's pretty much it, and it's not really a flaw its an entirely believable reaction to what happens, yet is never touched on again.) The actress was great, but the character itself was just terribly boring.
    Im not seeing how any of that is very different from Luke. In episode IV he learns about the force and a matter of hours later he is deflecting blaster bolts literally blindfolded. While escaping from the death star he fights off (supposedly) highly trained soldiers with ease. At the end of the movie he's expertly flying an X-Wing, a ship he's never even seen until that day, and manages to nail a small target with a weapon he's never used by using the force instead of a targeting computer.

And keep in mind, he's basically had no training either. And by the time he reached empire he still has fairly little training (a short time with Yoda compared to a lifetime of training) and holds his own against Darth Vader.

So I'm not really sure where people get this idea that a character being a natural with the force is a deal breaker. It's literally the premise of the main characters of the last two trilogies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post

Im not seeing how any of that is very different from Luke. In episode IV he learns about the force and a matter of hours later he is deflecting blaster bolts literally blindfolded. While escaping from the death star he fights off (supposedly) highly trained soldiers with ease. At the end of the movie he's expertly flying an X-Wing, a ship he's never even seen until that day, and manages to nail a small target with a weapon he's never used by using the force instead of a targeting computer.

And keep in mind, he's basically had no training either. And by the time he reached empire he still has fairly little training (a short time with Yoda compared to a lifetime of training) and holds his own against Darth Vader.

So I'm not really sure where people get this idea that a character being a natural with the force is a deal breaker. It's literally the premise of the main characters of the last two trilogies.
    Luke is under the guidance of Ben since the first got together. They weren't together for 'hours', they were together for a prolonged stretch of time. Do you really think that off screen Obi-wan, the Mentor, did absolutely no Mentoring? Cause that would just be silly.

Luke had some time to actually train his abilities under Obi-Wan before we got to see him put his skills into action. Rey experienced a guy doing one thing to her once, resisted it, copied it nearly perfectly, picked up an entirely different trick (The Jedi Mind trick), and then picked up on how to use it in what was only the span of a few hours. This is hardly comparable to Luke.

Furthermore, it's that paired with all of those other things that bothers me. It's an absurd level of natural ability to use the force compared to anything else we have seen in the original Trilogy, an extremely high skill with mechanics (again, look at all she managed to pull with the Falcon), She can understand a large variety of languages, she's a strong fighter, everyone loves her immediately, and all of this paired with pretty much no flaws.

The only flaw I've heard pointed out is she is a bit hot headed, but at what point has this ever even come close to causing a problem? Hell, her 'mistake' of letting out the beasts wasn't really a hindrance, it saved their asses.

Also, Luke had been established as an good Pilot by that point. I can agree it's a bit strange that is a bit silly, but it doesn't really compare with Rey's accomplishments, not even close.

That first Star Wars Movie takes place over a rather prolonged period of time, where as The Force Awakened takes place over the course of a few days.

Rey clearly already knew how to fight. We saw her beat up those guys with her staff on Jakku. Why would fighting with a lightsaber be that different? If anything, it would be easier: surely a lightsaber is super-light, what with the hilt being the only physical element of the whole shebang.

That combined with Kylo's heavily injured condition, the fact that he wasn't trying to seriously hurt her but rather turn her to the dark side and her digging into the force made it seem completely believable that she would beat him.

Blog Entries

I watched it (my debut experience with IMAX and the verdict is 4/10 why did I pay all that extra money) and enjoyed it thoroughly. It definitely didn't feel like a George Lucas film. In fact, I thought it was pretty amusing that it seemed to avoid reference to anything that happened in the prequels altogether. I liked the return to actual sets and actors rather than full-greenscreen CGI armies bollocks. I liked the character of Finn, and his stormtrooper background which gave a bit of depth to an enemy (ie. Empire/First Order) which has always been nothing much more than a group of faceless goons intent on nothing but evil.

I thought Kylo Ren as the new bad guy was really cool...up until the scene where he took his mask off, after which it was as if the writing of his character had been passed off to somebody else entirely. The film starts with him literally ordering the massacre of a village of unarmed prisoners, stopping a sniper bullet in mid air, chopping fools up and just generally being a psychopathic badass, but then ends with him being this utterly weaksauce screamo frontman who's previously impressive Force powers are overcome with absurd ease by those of some half-conscious woman who only learned of the concept of the Force twenty minutes earlier - then later he suddenly forgets how to use his lightsaber in a duel with a guy who has no force abilities whatsoever. What the hell, man. It was pretty jarring.

I liked the bit where that floating ball that Luke first practiced lightsabers with fell out of a sack on the Millenium Falcon, though.

there was a picture here

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

hey we don't know that finn isn't sensitive to the force yet!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

That first Star Wars Movie takes place over a rather prolonged period of time,
    Does it?

Luke meets Obi-Wan. Finds his Aunt and Uncle dead. Meets Han Solo in Mos Eisley. Flies to Alderaan, whereby they are caught in the Death Star's tractor beam. Upon escaping, they go to the Rebel Base, where they plan the assault and then execute it.

I'm only seeing three spots where any meaningful time elapses at all. 1) In hyperspace on the way to Alderaan. 2) In Hyperspace on the way to Yavin. 3) At the Rebel Base while the Death Star plans are being analysed. I can't see any of of those being more than a day or two, tops. Hardly enough for hardcore force and/or X-Wing training. We see ships Hyperspace around a lot in Star Wars, and its generally not a particularly long term thing.

My perception is not so much that Rey has a natural ability with a million different things, but that she has a natural ability with one: learning.
    Last edited by Fox; 01-04-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    hey we don't know that finn isn't sensitive to the force yet!
    You bet your ass I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Rey clearly already knew how to fight. We saw her beat up those guys with her staff on Jakku. Why would fighting with a lightsaber be that different? If anything, it would be easier: surely a lightsaber is super-light, what with the hilt being the only physical element of the whole shebang.

That combined with Kylo's heavily injured condition, the fact that he wasn't trying to seriously hurt her but rather turn her to the dark side and her digging into the force made it seem completely believable that she would beat him.
    I already adressed him being hurt. While hurt, when they first started the fight he was clearly superior. Then one moment later she's all 'I can use force to help' and then immediately whooped his ass.

And honest, her already knowing how to fight, that is true. My issue isn't that she already knew how to fight, it's that she just suddenly gets the Idea to use the Force to help her fight and is suddenly so adept at it a guy who was actively trying to not harm her before just had no hope of fighting on. This is bounds ahead of anything we see from the first Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    That first Star Wars Movie takes place over a rather prolonged period of time,
    Does it?

Luke meets Obi-Wan. Finds his Aunt and Uncle dead. Meets Han Solo in Mos Eisley. Flies to Alderaan, whereby they are caught in the Death Star's tractor beam. Upon escaping, they go to the Rebel Base, where they plan the assault and then execute it.

I'm only seeing three spots where any meaningful time elapses at all. 1) In hyperspace on the way to Alderaan. 2) In Hyperspace on the way to Yavin. 3) At the Rebel Base while the Death Star plans are being analysed. I can't see any of of those being more than a day or two, tops. Hardly enough for hardcore force and/or X-Wing training. We see ships Hyperspace around a lot in Star Wars, and its generally not a particularly long term thing.

My perception is not so much that Rey has a natural ability with a million different things, but that she has a natural ability with one: learning.
    Luke has a few days to train regardless. Hell, he is ABLE to train at all under an actual Mentor.

Further more, Luke isnt' really fighting off hordes of Storm Troopers, under constant guidance of Hans they manage to high tail it the entire time they are on the Death Star.

And there was never a huge need for hard core training, because what Luke was doing wasn't really that hard core. He used the force to target one shot, a target we have learned Luke was already capable of hitting in an aircraft of some kind. The only real issue here is the different type of craft, and that feels more like a 'the writers felt like different space crafts in Star Wars operate similarly enough' then 'Luke was able to master this entirely new craft in like no time cause he's so rad', a bit of lazy writing on their part.

To add, Luke was also being covered by three other ships. The Two Ex-Wings that followed him in, and the returning Millenium Falcom which shook off Vader, giving Luke the time he needed to actually concentrate on the shot. He wasn't so good he could just up and do it.

To Recap what each person accomplished.

Luke after a brief amount of time training
    - Was able to fend off Storm Troopers Well Enough to run away, with the guidence of an experiences smuggler
    - Was able to use the force to make a very difficult shot, one he was already some what able to do prior to force training

Rey with exactly Zero Training and all within the span of a few hours
    - Was able to block a trained force user from probing her mind, and in turn was able to read his, something he could not stop
    - Learned how to do the Jedi Mind Trick
    - In a fight against a far more experienced foe (who, regardless of Injuries, was easilly beating her) suddenly goes 'I can use the force to help me fight' and it instantly became a one sided fight in the opposite way.

The accomplishments of Rey FAR outshine the accomplishments of Luke, and that is without any semblance of Guidence or Training where as Luke did in fact have some.

And again, all of this wouldn't be nearly as bad if we at least got to see Rey showcasing some kind of character flaw that is an actual detriment, but we don't see anything like that. All we see as a person excelling at anything and everything they try. That is simply not interesting to me.

Luke, on the other hand, was clearly a fish out of water the entire first movie. He was constantly having his hand held, and nothing he accomplished that first movie was done without someone constantly having his back.