Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The theatre was sold out today after work, so I'm going tomorrow morning & hoping for better luck.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I enjoyed it, and it was certainly miles better than the prequel trilogy, but it fell short of the originals. Force Awakens basically tried to cram all of the plot cycle from the first three movies into one movie, and the transitions were quick and disjointed, with some whiplash-inducing forced plot points. I did really enjoy Rey's character, and all of the returning cast.

Not worth all of the hype, but still a fully enjoyable movie.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Now that a few more people have seen it, I just wanted to chime in and say yeah I smurfing love Kylo Ren. I really dug the set up at the start where Poe is trash talking him and it's just followed by a shot of Ren walking out with the information on BB8, and then the way it was followed it up with glimpses of the anger and insecurity was done well.

I've seen a few people confused as to how Rey beat him despite him having more training and that it was stupid, but I thought it was kinda obvious. They spent the whole movie building up the power of Chewie's Bowcaster and how it could take out three guys at once and then he took (and survived) a hit from the smurfing thing. I like that this and indeed Finn's efforts with the Stormtroopers deflated the lightsaber = you can kill everyone rule. It adds more tension to fights.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Now that a few more people have seen it, I just wanted to chime in and say yeah I smurfing love Kylo Ren. I really dug the set up at the start where Poe is trash talking him and it's just followed by a shot of Ren walking out with the information on BB8, and then the way it was followed it up with glimpses of the anger and insecurity was done well.

I've seen a few people confused as to how Rey beat him despite him having more training and that it was stupid, but I thought it was kinda obvious. They spent the whole movie building up the power of Chewie's Bowcaster and how it could take out three guys at once and then he took (and survived) a hit from the smurfing thing. I like that this and indeed Finn's efforts with the Stormtroopers deflated the lightsaber = you can kill everyone rule. It adds more tension to fights.
    What else people failed to notice about Kylo sort of losing against Rey is that he was holding back because he wanted to do the typical Sith thing and lure her to the dark side. He also clearly underestimated her because she is a natural with handling the Force...which is another (in my opinion) dumb complaint people have about the movie.

Yes, Rey did just learn about the Force, but that doesn't mean she wasn't using it her whole life. She managed to survive in a harsh environment and was a skilled fighter. She also seemed to let the Force guide her in an instinctual manner which would explain how easily (but still believably shaky) she piloted the Falcon (helps that she had massive knowledge from scavenging too). So who else learned the Force very quickly in a more instinctual manner? Luke Skywalker. Hell, so did Anakin if you want to get technical. That being said, I would say her adapting to the Force as quickly as she did was a bit too much, but that's part of what I meant in my original post when I said I thought the film had pacing problems.

But yeah, while the film certainly isn't flawless, it is a bit irritating to see people complain about the film showing and not telling when the very same people got all up in arms about the prequels telling instead of showing, and having clunky exposition instead of visual storytelling.

I'm going with a friend tomorrow to see it, and I was wondering if you have to have seen/enjoyed the previous movies to enjoy this one, or if its a good movie on its own? I've seen the others but was very 'meh' about them, and don't remember all that much.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    I'm going with a friend tomorrow to see it, and I was wondering if you have to have seen/enjoyed the previous movies to enjoy this one, or if its a good movie on its own? I've seen the others but was very 'meh' about them, and don't remember all that much.
    I think it would be fine for a "newcomer". The majority of the movie focuses on brand new characters and factions. The only real returners are Han, Chewie and Leia and all you really need to know is that Han and Chewie are bffs and Han and Leia ended the last movie all a-smoochin'.

Hope you enjoy it and please let us know what you think. I'd be intrigued to hear the thoughts of someone without the baggage the rest of us are carrying.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

SO GOOD

when binary sunset started playing at the end my eyes were a watery sunset

I watched it again today. I think it was better second time around - I got to experience a few things I missed first time and also I absorbed some scenes that I had initially struggled with because of the fast pace.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I liked it a lot. The ~BIG SPOILER~ at the end somehow managed to shock me (even though I knew IT'S A TRAP), and then I felt dead inside for the rest of the movie. I dunno, it just got to me hard, man.

(SPOILER)I think it's because Han and Leia in this movie reminded me a lot of my grandma and grandpa. And my grandpa doesn't have a lot of time left. so......

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

So...

- Let's get the main criticism out of the way. That plot line hewed very close to the original Star Wars film (with a sprinkling of the rest of the original trilogy in there). I can understand the rationale to play it safe this time round, hence hiring a safe pair of hands in J. J. Abrams, but I hope maybe next time they have the courage to maybe push the boat out a bit.
    - All that being said, I did really enjoy the film, it was a blast to watch.
    - Great acting from all the main cast, especially Adam Driver and John Boyega. Even people who hate Lena Dunham should thank her for giving Driver his breakout role.
    - Hope we get to see more of Poe next time, I love Oscar Isaac.
    - Carrie Fisher these days is like a walking advert for saying no to cocaine.
    - Did anyone see that Daniel Craig plays the Stormtrooper who is the victim of Rey's Jedi mind trick.
    - Lots of very funny moments ('That's not how the Force works!').
    - BB-8 is adorable.
    - Domhnall Gleeson was going for full on Ham mode in his speech, huh.
    - Phasma was a bit of a nothing role in the end, seemed a bit of a waste of Gwendoline Christie. Maybe she'll have more to do next time?
    - Roll on Rogue One and Episode VIII
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hands down my favorite Star Wars movie. It was SO good.

I love, love, love Finn. I love that he's comedic without being a joke himself. I love how he's cowardly and brave.

I love that they made Rey the hero and not Finn. In the previews, it looks as if he's meant to be the next Jedi (as he uses the lightsaber in them), and it's so misleading in a wonderful way. Also, she's totes Luke's daughter.

BB-8 is so stinkin' cute.

We all agree that Kylo Ren is still alive, yeah?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jar Jar Jinks View Post

Oh, unquestionably. Snoke specifically said "Go get Kylo Ren and come to me," therefore it happened!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jar Jar Jinks View Post

Oh, unquestionably. Snoke specifically said "Go get Kylo Ren and come to me," therefore it happened!
    Oh, I missed that part!

He just has too much plot importance as the son of Han and Leia and the nephew of Luke to be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

OH MY GOD IT WAS AMAZING.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I gotta say, despite some criticisms, it is refreshing to see people enjoying Star Wars again overall. In the theater as I type this for my second viewing!