Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Well, but the Dark Side is stronger. Because of the imbalance. But Rey is the successor of the chosen one, obviousy the new chosen one. Of course she has incredible power.

In terms of throwbacks to the original films, I am very surprised we didn't get a "Lock S-Foils in attack positions".

I mean... we clearly saw the S-Foils being locked in attack positions. That would've been an easy win, surely! I certainly would've liked to trade that line for... any or all of Threepio's. Something seemed off about him in this film, and I'm not talking about the arm. Which had turned back gold for the final shot, so I'm guessing it wasn't a particularly interesting backstory there.

But Rey is the successor of the chosen one, obviousy the new chosen one.
    I strongly hope I don't hear the words 'Chosen One' at all during the sequel trilogy.

The whole concept has been annoying me from day 1. "The chosen one will bring balance to the Force". OK, Windu, here's the thing: balance means an equal amount of light and dark, not 100% light. There are thousands of Jedi in the galaxy and approximately two Sith. How much more 'balanced' do things need to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    In terms of throwbacks to the original films, I am very surprised we didn't get a "Lock S-Foils in attack positions".

I mean... we clearly saw the S-Foils being locked in attack positions. That would've been an easy win, surely! I certainly would've liked to trade that line for... any or all of Threepio's. Something seemed off about him in this film, and I'm not talking about the arm. Which had turned back gold for the final shot, so I'm guessing it wasn't a particularly interesting backstory there.

But Rey is the successor of the chosen one, obviousy the new chosen one.
    I strongly hope I don't hear the words 'Chosen One' at all during the sequel trilogy.

The whole concept has been annoying me from day 1. "The chosen one will bring balance to the Force". OK, Windu, here's the thing: balance means an equal amount of light and dark, not 100% light. There are thousands of Jedi in the galaxy and approximately two Sith. How much more 'balanced' do things need to get?

Yeah and Sidious was the most powerful force-user of all. Those puny Jedi were not even comparable for the balance. This entire stuff is part of Star Wars even if it is probably never mentioned again. But it pretty much is always "mentioned" by the Skywalkers being incredibly powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Yeah and Sidious was the most powerful force-user of all. Those puny Jedi were not even comparable for the balance.
    I dunno, Windu defeated him one-on-one! If not for Anakin getting in the way peace and justice would have been restored to the galaxy ages ago ^^

Because Windu is the best lightsabre duelist, not force user in general. Also I do not know if you have noticed but Sidious has played his little game in the entire scene to wait for a good moment. Also you have pretty much taken a bad example because with puni Jedi I did not mean the creme de la creme. And even those - I mean, Yoda tried it. And he failed. Hell, he even owned the Jedi in Clone Wars when he tested something (well, he considered it theoretically a failure but you can watch the battle yourself also he does other incredible stuff in Clone Wars).
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-21-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Anakin could read minds. He read Luke's mind about Leia. He was even so powerful he did not need this whole hand thing.
    He read Luke's thoughts and feelings. It was more like a sensing. As opposed to reaching into someone's mind and extracting the information you need. 'We don't need no droid, I can just read her mind!' In the end he couldn't because she's strong with the Force but the confidence that he could get something as detailed as a map she saw briefly is unlike anything Anakin ever did.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Anakin could read minds. He read Luke's mind about Leia. He was even so powerful he did not need this whole hand thing.
    He read Luke's thoughts and feelings. It was more like a sensing. As opposed to reaching into someone's mind and extracting the information you need. 'We don't need no droid, I can just read her mind!' In the end he couldn't because she's strong with the Force but the confidence that he could get something as detailed as a map she saw briefly is unlike anything Anakin ever did.
    I see no difference between extracting the information "i have a sister" and "i know map x". It was not specified if Ben actually can get access to the total database. And well, he was not able to do it anyway. Also even if he can do some stuff - he once was the apprentice of Luke and now of this Captain Snoopy guy who people even consider to be Darth Plagueis the Wise (Sidious' master and the only one comparable to him).

Not that it matters. Ben still has no chance against Rey. Luke's child > Leia's child. That was more than clearly shown. Now a trained Rey might be the one the force needs (and I am pretty sure that is what is gonna be it anyway as she is the main chara, et cetera - typical good people win story).
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-21-2015 at 12:28 AM.

So, question!

Who was your favourite new character from The Force Awakens?

I'm gonna put Rey at the top, followed by BB-8. I'm amazed just how much they managed to do with that little droid, I wonder if he might even be a more effective screen presence than R2-D2 was in the originals. And Rey is just amazing; skilled, fun, confident, compassionate. I prefer her in this to Luke Skywalker in ANH, and she and Finn have great chemistry. She and BB-8 have great chemistry to. She and Han Solo also have- OK, basically she just seemed to go really well with all the other characters.

I swear I had the biggest trout-eating grin on my face when "Star Wars" and the accompanying music came on. I thought this film was beautiful and amazing, I've never been so excited before and after. I'm still trying to let it sink in that Han Solo is gone, I was hoping they'd at least put off main character deaths until the second film.

Also after his death the interaction, or lack there of, with Chewy and Leia seemed really off.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I certainly would've liked to trade that line for... any or all of Threepio's. Something seemed off about him in this film, and I'm not talking about the arm. Which had turned back gold for the final shot, so I'm guessing it wasn't a particularly interesting backstory there.
    I'm pretty sure they were deliberately making fun of him. He represented the hammy acting and clumsy dialogue of the A New Hope (which was there, let's not let nostalgia completely blind us), and we're all meant to think "Get back in your box, ham!" whenever C3PO started to speak. Which I did.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

C-3PO has always been the annoying one. It helps that nobody much likes the guy who plays him either.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    C-3PO has always been the annoying one. It helps that nobody much likes the guy who plays him either.
    I always found him obnoxious but never too annoying. I did watch the old films in and around the new ones, and although I was never fond of C-3PO as a character he was markedly less irritating in the old ones. I won't complain if he doesn't show up in VIII put it that way.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Finn. Veeeery tricky question to answer as Rey, Kylo Ren, BB8 and Poe are all superb in their own ways. I'm just going to give you my favourite quote from A Song of Ice and Fire to explain why.

Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?' 'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.

On a vaguely related note to that, who else was disappointed with Captain Phasma? Oh man, Brienne of Tarth as a badass Stormtrooper leader! And then, eh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Finn. Veeeery tricky question to answer as Rey, Kylo Ren, BB8 and Poe are all superb in their own ways. I'm just going to give you my favourite quote from A Song of Ice and Fire to explain why.

Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?' 'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.

On a vaguely related note to that, who else was disappointed with Captain Phasma? Oh man, Brienne of Tarth as a badass Stormtrooper leader! And then, eh.
    True, I do think they underutilised her in that role. Hopefully she escaped the trash chute of doom and and is still kicking around, I would have liked for her to be involved more in the plot.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Captain Phasma's armor is too cool to waste on just one movie. She'll be back.

Rey was my favorite new character. She's so damn intense but also full of wonder. Perfectly played by Daisy Ridley. Kylo, Finn, and BB8 were great too.

I'm looking forward to what new characters the next film introduces. The second Star Wars movie introduced greats like Yoda, Boba Fett, and Lando, so I hope it continues that tradition by beefing up the cast.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum