Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, both Rey and Finn were fantastic. Poe was great too, but wasn't around really enough to qualify as a new favorite character (I can't wait to see him in the next films, though).

I have to say Finn, though. For the reasons Psy gave, but I also loved how he was funny and humorous without being annoying or having his only role being comic relief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I love all the new characters. I already feel as if BB-8 has been apart of the Star Wars family for years. I also liked Finn's perfect balance of being comedic, but still a compelling character instead of simply comic relief. Rey is simply awesome. I am glad that they kept her backstory to a minimum for this film, and I am looking forward to where they will take it. As I said in my original post, I would like to share a beer with Poe. The way he acts and looks just screams classic Star Wars.

Man, I'm having so much fun with the Star Wars universe again because of this movie. Haven't really felt that way in years, honestly!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh hey, I'm starting to see people come out and talk about how this movie sucks, and it's boring, and it's a flop. Because it's cool to hate things that are popular.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jar Jar Jinks View Post
    Oh hey, I'm starting to see people come out and talk about how this movie sucks, and it's boring, and it's a flop. Because it's cool to hate things that are popular.
    A...a flop? If you took everyone who is complaining about it and combined them all of them wouldn't see half the money this movie is making.

That was going to happen no matter what type of movie they made. The fact that several reviewers that are normally very hard on films like it or love it is really telling in my eyes. As I've said before, the film isn't perfect--far from it. However, neither was the Original Trilogy.

One of the most major complaints I have seen (again, I said this before in the thread, but I am bringing it up again to compare something) is how quickly Rey adapts to the Force. Well, if you really want to give a character in the Star Wars universe some grief about that, why not Luke? He had ZERO idea of what the Force was at all. Rey heard it as a myth that she wasn't entirely sure if was real or not. But point is, Luke did NOT KNOW AT ALL what the Force was. Not too long after (possibly in the same day) when Han questions the Force during the hyperspace ride, Luke gets all indignant that Han dared to question something he literally just learned about.

All the films have flaws, and I think most people get way too lost in some idea that the Original Trilogy was some holy grail of film making. Look, I am a Star Wars nut. But what made the original films great weren't supposed flawless executions. They were solid stories (albeit flawed and contradictory--yes--BEFORE the prequels came into play), great use of practical/special effects, editing that saved everyone's ass (especially concerning A New Hope), wonderful sound editing, and a powerful score to tie everything into place. Lucas simply took a very familiar hero's journey story and tried to recreate the cheesy serial sci-fi stuff from his childhood. That's it. The old movies accomplish that, and The Force Awakens accomplishes that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jar Jar Jinks View Post
    A...a flop? If you took everyone who is complaining about it and combined them all of them wouldn't see half the money this movie is making.

That was going to happen no matter what type of movie they made. The fact that several reviewers that are normally very hard on films like it or love it is really telling in my eyes. As I've said before, the film isn't perfect--far from it. However, neither was the Original Trilogy.

One of the most major complaints I have seen (again, I said this before in the thread, but I am bringing it up again to compare something) is how quickly Rey adapts to the Force. Well, if you really want to give a character in the Star Wars universe some grief about that, why not Luke? He had ZERO idea of what the Force was at all. Rey heard it as a myth that she wasn't entirely sure if was real or not. But point is, Luke did NOT KNOW AT ALL what the Force was. Not too long after (possibly in the same day) when Han questions the Force during the hyperspace ride, Luke gets all indignant that Han dared to question something he literally just learned about.

All the films have flaws, and I think most people get way too lost in some idea that the Original Trilogy was some holy grail of film making. Look, I am a Star Wars nut. But what made the original films great weren't supposed flawless executions. They were solid stories (albeit flawed and contradictory--yes--BEFORE the prequels came into play), great use of practical/special effects, editing that saved everyone's ass (especially concerning A New Hope), wonderful sound editing, and a powerful score to tie everything into place. Lucas simply took a very familiar hero's journey story and tried to recreate the cheesy serial sci-fi stuff from his childhood. That's it. The old movies accomplish that, and The Force Awakens accomplishes that.
    I love the original trilogy, but they're kind of bad movies, honestly. Very campy. But still fun.

And I think the person who said it was a flop meant from the perspective of how it was received (it's objectively NOT a flop from a financial aspect), but I think he's wrong on that account too. I've only seen overwhelming positive reactions about the movie until today.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Biggest shocking moment wasn't shocking because it was spoiled for me by some dude on Instagram but I will say either way I saw it coming once it was revealed he was his son. Once he died I didn't really care tbh and wondering why Chewie didn't shoot that dude sooner. Might have saved his life, but oh well. Most shocking thing to me was the reveal as Adam Driver as Kylo Ren.

That was oddly disappointing. I knew he was casted but I didn't know who he would be playing and then aptly forgot that he was even in the movie once I started watching. He has a stupid dopey non-menacing face and maybe that was partly intentional since he up until that big murder was mostly just some boy playing evil and having temper tantrums while fighting an internal struggle within himself. Anyway, it was good.

I really liked BB-8, Poe and Rey. I like BB-8 more than R2D2 because he will burn you if you get smart. So sassy. Finn I'm on the fence about. He's funny but his constant need to hold Rey's hand annoys me and the fact that he thinks he can just wield Luke's light saber. Who the hell do you think you are bruh?

Blog Entries

Saw it last night in a Dome IMAX theater and loved it. I rarely want to see movies twice in a theater, but this one might warrant it.

Honestly I had never heard of Adam Driver before this movie, but I thought he played the flawed villain quite well. But, I'm a fangirl for villains as a whole.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was, without a doubt, the worst movie experience I've ever had.

A half hour of bloody commercials, a guy next to me smelling like someone threw up on him recently, people leaving the theater every 3 minutes, and a guy pulling up a bloody hoodie in front of me, blocking a part of my view.

God, I know it's been a while since I went to the movies, but why do we want to spend money on that again? I'm not watching anything anymore that I can't in my own home. This is just getting ridiculous.

Oh, the movie? It was alright. Not the best, not the worst. I would watch it again some day (in my own home), which is more than I could say for the 2nd and 3rd prequel.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I liked it enough. Felt like Star Wars to me. Don't know how I feel about how much they took from A New Hope to the point you could see certain plot points coming a mile away. The original characters were great, and I thought the lightsaber fights were better this time around because there was actual emotion behind them instead of perfectly choreograph fight scenes from start to finish like in the prequels.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Who was your favourite new character from The Force Awakens?
    BB-8
    I like Kung-Fu.

Favourite new character is easy - Rey. Or should I say Rey Skywalker?

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm going to see it a third time on Christmas in DBox seating. And then again on January 2nd in IMAX.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Just saw it in IMAX! I really enjoyed it! Finn, Rey, Kylo, Poe, and BB8 were great. I loved it.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

OMG I loved it! I Rey. I think her & Finn have great chemistry. I really hope they get those two crazy kids together. Also love BB-8 & Poe is great!.

If Ren, Finn & Poe are the future of the franchise, this will be an epic trilogy.

Feel @ some point Kylo will turn, despite what he did to Han. It seems to me the draw of the darkside is pretty weak in him if he keeps feeling tempted by the light.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I overall loved it. It was so much fun to watch and I want to watch it again. Nearly every actor did a great job. I say nearly because I don't think Kylo was done well. His fits of rage were great, and he did an alright job of projecting a menacing appearance, not quite as well as Vadar but that's expected, but I felt he did a horrible job delivering his lines. I would have preferred a different actor.

WHAT THE smurf HAS LUKE BEING DOING ON THAT DAMNED ISLAND FOR SO smurfING LONG? It is pretty apparent that Rey was there with him at one point. Before even leaving Jukka (or whatever that sandy planet was) she talks about an island and a seemingly endless ocean. This also helped to convince me she is Luke's daughter. But why was she taken away and left on that dumb planet?
    Luke was training Like everyone else, I'm predicting Rey is his daughter, and he hid her away to protect her from Kylo. After murdering all his other students, I imagine the daughter of Luke would be a pretty high priority target as well, but you can't murder what you can't find/don't know about.

One question though. What is up with Luke's hair? I know terrible, God-awful hats are canon, but really?
    to be fair, Luke has always had pretty horrible hair

I'm going to assume that the map was split into two parts to make it harder to find, but since both the Rebellion and the First Order were looking for Luke, I'm not sure who did it. Unless it was Luke himself.
    I'm guessing Luke did it, and he used the force to tell R2 to power up. He was observing everything happening with the force and decided the time was right.

"The chosen one will bring balance to the Force". OK, Windu, here's the thing: balance means an equal amount of light and dark, not 100% light. There are thousands of Jedi in the galaxy and approximately two Sith. How much more 'balanced' do things need to get?
    This is why I will always argue that Anakin really was the chosen one. Balance is equal. There were plenty of Jedi running around doing all kinds of things in the Galaxy, and only a handful of Sith. After Anakin's betrayal there were only two Sith (him and palpatine), barring any hidden Sith hanging out wherever in the galaxy uncanonically, and two Jedi (Ben and Yoda), barring any hidden Jedi hanging out wherever in the galaxy uncanonically.