Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Articles
    Blog Entries

The only thing that guts me is that we'll likely have to wait until 2018 for the next Star Wars movie.

I don't know if I can wait that long.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World View Post
    They all bred Rey.

I still think it is important. After all, they had John Boyega change his accent.
    If George Lucas made this, he'd have Finn be like, language"Yo yo yo, where da white bitch?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I was thinking it might be someone a BIT more obscure, possibly from the extended universe.

That one is no longer canonical according to Disney. They de-canonized everything except the movies, Clone Wars and Rebels when they bought Star Wars.
    WHAT IF IT'S AHSOKA?!
    I would be genuinely cool with this. Although depending on what happens in Rebels (I've only seen half of this season so far) that might turn out to be impossible! Ahsoka is one of my favourite characters from the canonical extended universe, because she seems to *get* the whole light/dark balance, not every Jedi is a saint, not every Sith is pure evil thing. She got screwed by the Jedi order and is well aware the Jedi Order isn't perfect, and went her own way to pursue her learning of the Force.

Also White Lightsabers. If Rey ends up with a double bladed white lightsaber I will die of joy.

SIDE NOTE: OK, I went to see this for my third time today, hence my absence from this chat for a page or so. Pro tip for parents! I don't care if you bring your young children, it's great to have them experience the magic of Star Wars. I don't mind if they boo when the villain does something evil or cheer when the good guys do something amazing - I love seeing enthusiastic young people engaging with these characters! Having said that,

DON'T GIVE THEM A FLASHING BLUE LIGHT SABER TOY AND THEN SIT IN THE FRONT ROW. I WILL FORCE CHOKE YOU.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    You know, one of the best parts of the movie for me was all the humor. When Kylo Ren is going on one of his angry tantrums and destroying trout with his lightsaber, and the two Stormtroopers are walking towards the room, hear the commotion, stop, and then turn around, I laughed my freaking ass off. That was so hilarious.
    I like that as well. It's good to show that the Storm-troopers are not just faceless soldiers. They did that with Finn, and with the quite natural reactions of the Storm-troopers.
    Yeah, I enjoyed Finn's character because we got a perspective from a Stormtrooper and they felt like actual characters this time around, instead of just being cannon fodder.

I also like Kylo Ren being tempted by the Light. Normally when the movies have these talks it's about the Dark Side. I never really seen the reverse where it's the Dark Side user being pulled towards the Light. It was honestly refreshing to see. With all the New Hope throwbacks whenever they did something new it really stood out.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

But more importantly, in all of the Star Wars movies, who are the only people to speak in an English accent? Rey, one of the red X-Wing fighters, and OBI WAN KENOBI.
    In the original trilogy Kenobi didn't have an english accent

I also like Kylo Ren being tempted by the Light. Normally when the movies have these talks it's about the Dark Side. I never really seen the reverse where it's the Dark Side user being pulled towards the Light.
    We saw Darth Vader being tempted by the light before his eventual return throughout RotJ.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    But more importantly, in all of the Star Wars movies, who are the only people to speak in an English accent? Rey, one of the red X-Wing fighters, and OBI WAN KENOBI.

I also like Kylo Ren being tempted by the Light. Normally when the movies have these talks it's about the Dark Side. I never really seen the reverse where it's the Dark Side user being pulled towards the Light.
    We saw Darth Vader being tempted by the light before his eventual return throughout RotJ.
    This one felt more apparent to me, and depicted as a bad thing (as it would be for the Dark Side) whereas Vader was more like, "Come on, Vader! Help Luke!"

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you sure that Sir Alec Guiness didn't have an English accent as Obi?

Start at 4:08 for Sir Alec, Ewan comes right after.
    Last edited by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World; 12-28-2015 at 03:05 AM.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Quote Originally Posted by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World View Post
    Are you sure that Sir Alec Guiness didn't have an English accent as Obi?
    And like... Ewan McGregor is Scottish! That's not his natural voice in the PT. He modeled his Obi-Wan accent after Alex Guiness's specifically. Also as a British person I can confirm we all pronounce the word 'evil' with three syllables.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I guess that is British. It never really sounded like so to me before hearing it next to the others.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually never really noticed either, but after watching Episode VII for the third time and thinking about accents I went back and listened to Obi from Episode IV.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Blog Entries

The only thing that guts me is that we'll likely have to wait until 2018 for the next Star Wars movie.

According to what I'm seeing, you won't. Just a mere year and a half. Currently scheduled for May 26, 2017.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-...lic-70269.html

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SammieBabe View Post

According to what I'm seeing, you won't. Just a mere year and a half. Currently scheduled for May 26, 2017.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-...lic-70269.html
    That's interesting. They usually wait at least three years before releasing the next one.

Well, I'm not complaining. YAY MORE STAR WARS!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Most of you have summed up my feelings so I'll keep it short. Film was awesome. Finn, Poe and Rey were inspired choices. Definite Star Wars feel.

Two further points. I wasn't massively bothered with the death of Han. MissH said before we went last night that she thought he would die. The more I thought about it, the more it makes sense. Harrison Ford wanted Han to die at the end of Empire but George Lucas said no smurfing way. He's getting on a bit now so it makes sense for him to only sign up for one film. It was just great to have him back one last time

Kylo Ren seems to be dividing opinion and I have to say I agree with Shiny. I couldn't get on with him at all. I understand he's young and not fully trained in the force. He just acted like privileged youth that has tantrums whenever things don't go his way. I agree that seeing someone dark be tempted by the light is refreshing... but it was so poorly executed it wasn't even worth it. Plus yeah, he looks nothing like Han or Leah. Horrible casting. His one plus is that he has a deep, evil voice (if it wasn't altered post-filming) that suited the character. It's a shame as before he took off the mask I actually thought Kylo Ren was going to be awesome.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Finally saw it last night. I'd give it a 7/10. Maybe a 7.5/10. I thought it was pretty darn good.

I really appreciated the General Organa-Solo character. I suppose some fans expected her to still be Princess Leia, but this is a woman who has been a mother, a wife, a Senator, a key military leader, lost her planet, lost her son (basically), lost her husband (basically), and lost her brother (basically). I liked that they let her age. A person in her position isn't concerned with trying to chase youth. She knows who she is and her purpose.

It was great to see Ford again. It made sense for Han Solo to go back to his smuggler roots after his loss. It was his way of coping and finding something familiar after losing Ben. He had a good arc. You saw the old smuggler return to his higher purpose, and you knew the moment he set foot on the planet that he wasn't coming back. It was also time for the character to go.

To make room for Fynn. I also liked this character a lot. He's certainly not Han, but I feel he has a lot of Han in his character in that he struggles with only worrying about himself vs. answering the call to a higher cause. He also had some good, funny scenes without making the character too hammy or useless. He just felt like the average man put in extraordinary situations. It's not a new concept, but the actor did it well. I appreciated things like how he kept trying to hold Rey's hand. At first you think he's trying to be heroic, but I think the point was he was scared. A lot of people find courage through cause, and I think it was supposed to be a physical representation of Fynn reaching out for support and focus from Rey.

I appreciate the Rey character. I think she may be my favorite new character. People are probably right that she's supposed to be Luke's daughter, but I'm too stuck on Luke having a son from the books (yes I know the books are not cannon), so I still think she'll wind up being Han and Leia's other child. In the books, they had three kids so it's probably me just projecting what I'm used to.

Speaking of Ben, I find it interesting that they chose to name him Ben Solo instead of Jacen. Once again, probably because of the books, but also because Luke's son was named Ben Skywalker (after Kenobi). It was Jacen Solo who fell to the Dark Side in the books, and Ben Skywalker who worked to defeat him. I wonder if we're suppose to try and guess anything from them naming him Ben instead of Jacen, or if it's just coincidence. Overall, Kylo Ren was a decent baddie. As has already been stated, I think Rey's natural talent was able to momentarily overpower the trained Force user because Kylo Ren clearly isn't naturally inclined to the Dark Side. Natural talent at what your inclined for vs. trained talent in something you're not inclined for.

I found Poe Dameron to be woefully underdeveloped. It left me wondering if he's supposed to be one of the new main characters or just a secondary character that got more screen time for some reason. What I saw I liked, but so far he's more of an archetype than real character. Just the gung-ho, charismatic, fighter jock (Iceman, Starbuck, etc.) Speaking of underdeveloped....

I think the pacing was a bit rushed, making the relationship developments between some of the new characters rushed.

I think the music didn't add much to the series as a whole. Say what you will, I think the second trilogy did more for the music score, at least.

I'm a little disappointed in the overall plot. I'm not surprised, and I can appreciate the idea behind it. Classic story-telling, poetry, music, etc. repeats themes with variation.

You can definitely tell the whole point of this movie is a set-up for the next one. It still felt like like A New Hope version 2.0. I'm hoping the second one will really take the momentum and run. I don't want another Empire Strikes Back, but I hope it's as strong as Empire Strikes Back.

I really appreciated that they went with a lot of unknown/lesser known actors again. Just like the originals. I think the new blood did a great job, and the characters should grown and develop well.