Thread: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    It was just daft the ease with which she defeated him. I thought at the very least she could take a hit or something (at the time my money was on her losing a hand, seeing as SW is so fond of those injuries), or maybe come up with some Predator-style trap, or have somebody come and save the day. I just always had the assumption that a lightsaber was something that was supposed to require proper training and expertise to wield, otherwise why wouldn't everyone be waving them about?

Also, wasn't Luke Skywalker's lightsaber supposed to be green?
    I thought she was pretty sloppy with the lightsaber actually, she kept trying to stab him with it and it was similar to how she weilds the staff,

Articles
    Blog Entries

I thought Kylo Ren as the new bad guy was really cool...up until the scene where he took his mask off, after which it was as if the writing of his character had been passed off to somebody else entirely. The film starts with him literally ordering the massacre of a village of unarmed prisoners, stopping a sniper bullet in mid air, chopping fools up and just generally being a psychopathic badass, but then ends with him being this utterly weaksauce screamo frontman who's previously impressive Force powers are overcome with absurd ease by those of some half-conscious woman who only learned of the concept of the Force twenty minutes earlier - then later he suddenly forgets how to use his lightsaber in a duel with a guy who has no force abilities whatsoever. What the hell, man. It was pretty jarring.
    Yeah, I agree. And frankly, he looks so much better with his mask on it's not even funny.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    It was just daft the ease with which she defeated him. I thought at the very least she could take a hit or something (at the time my money was on her losing a hand, seeing as SW is so fond of those injuries), or maybe come up with some Predator-style trap, or have somebody come and save the day. I just always had the assumption that a lightsaber was something that was supposed to require proper training and expertise to wield, otherwise why wouldn't everyone be waving them about?

Also, wasn't Luke Skywalker's lightsaber supposed to be green?
    I thought she was pretty sloppy with the lightsaber actually, she kept trying to stab him with it and it was similar to how she weilds the staff,
    yeah i noticed that too. It was pretty obvious this was the first time she had really fought with any sort of long blade.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

>people still wanting Star Wars to over explain things about the Force when one of the worst aspects of the prequels was them trying to over explain the Force

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey, leave Kylo Ren's face alone. I guess he's pretty good looking, if unconventional.

Although it was a pretty weird decision to have him just remove the mask like that. I mean, what was the point of it in the first place then?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Hey, leave Kylo Ren's face alone. I guess he's pretty good looking, if unconventional.

Although it was a pretty weird decision to have him just remove the mask like that. I mean, what was the point of it in the first place then?
    That I actually do get. He wants to be like Vader. Vader wore a mask, so I wear a mask too. Look at me I'm just like Darth Vader, I even have Skywalker blood in me! YAY!

-is suddenly unable to breathe-

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He removed it to appear more human to Rey, I'm also fairly sure he removes it when he is conflicted. When his mask is off he always looks on the verge of crying - aka weak, with the mask on he can massacre a whole village....

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    He removed it to appear more human to Rey, I'm also fairly sure he removes it when he is conflicted. When his mask is off he always looks on the verge of crying - aka weak, with the mask on he can massacre a whole village....
    That ALSO makes a lot of sense. Thanks for pointing that out, Night

I really enjoyed the different kind of character he was with the mask on and off. With it on, you knew what you were getting. Mysterious bad guy, kills people, no mercy, yada yada yada. Scary enough. But when he takes the mask off... he's unpredictable. And that's even more scary.

Like, I don't think that scene on the bridge would have worked if he had left his masked on, because masked Ren is evil Ren, so you know how it's going to go. But with the mask off, there was conflict and doubt, which made the moment more uncertain and tense.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also tie that to his fight with Rey. I think Kylo, despite being a cracking force user was really not an overpowered villain. In that battle he had just killed his father - it definitely affected him somehow. and he'd been shot, and he was emotional, and he was maskless

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The things people seem to keep forgetting about the lightsaber duels at the end are pretty numerous honestly. He had just killed his father, and was shot by Chewie of course which really smurfed him up. Anyone who thinks they didn't apparently wasn't paying attention. But there was more to his loss than that.

We also know at least two other things about him. Namely that his training isn't even finished and he's prone to losing his cool. A force user in general, even a Sith or Jedi aren't unbeatable. One who's not fully trained, injured, conflicted over his place in the force, conflicted over killing his father, and also enraged? Frankly he may be lucky he beat Finn. And if that aren't enough we're outright told his biggest fear is he won't live up to Vader and he's just been faced with a woman who is clearly able to more easily tap into the force, likely in part because she isn't uncertain about who she is and knows what she's fighting for. So clearly self confidence is an issue for him as well on top of everything else. And it makes sense that would cause issues since the only times Luke ever struggled with the force in the original trilogy are when his own mind and ego worked against him.

Long story short, there are a lot of reasons that he lost and almost none of them have to do with Rey being perfect. The only thing she really was when she turned the ride of the battle was calm and focused. Before that she was lashing out as wildly as he was.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Ya'll need a reminder of other crap that is actual Star Wars cannon instead of complaining that a bad guy is sort of dopey looking and that someone is a bit too good with the Force.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/George_R._Binks

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Often story-telling uses the mask to make us see a character as a simplified ideal.

Evil, bad, the enemy, the opposition.

I agree with Fury that in this instance, Ben was using the mask to make himself that ideal. He's clearly conflicted, and struggles to accomplish this goal that he thinks needs to be achieved (for whatever reason.) He has doubts.

However, with the mask he is the dark side. He is his grand father. The mask represents the simplified ideals that he wants to embody instead of the weak, unsure character he is without the mask. It's almost two personalities.