Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

the last time i cried so much at the theater was actually in my attic when i watched ff7 advent children

Me and Formy watched it a couple of hours ago. IT WAS AMAZING! JJ Abrams, I love you. Is there no cherished childhood sci-fi favourite of mine which you can't reboot well?

Honestly, for me this film was pretty much perfect. Definitely the best film I've seen this year. It took everything good about the original three films, but still felt fresh and exciting. Even the major problem which beset the original trilogy, a bland protagonist - Luke - has been beautifully resolved with the brilliant Rey and Finn.

10/10. Watch it, then rewatch it, then buy in on DVD and watch it again.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Man, it felt downright heartwarming to watch again. This is it, folks!

I saw it, and I'd give it a solid 7/10. It was a really fun sci-fi action film.

I wasn't too keen on the villain, after he took his mask off I just didn't think he looked the part (he also didn't look like Han Solo and Leia's son...like at all), but that's just a personal opinion, I didn't feel like he was a threat, especially now he lost his fight against Rey....quite badly. I actually liked the blonde General more, that guy was cold, I hope they use him more in the next films.

I really liked both Finn and Rey, hard to believe they're novice actors, they were both great! My favourite character was Poe though, so glad that he survived and I hope to see more of him in the next films too.

While you don't have to be a fan to watch and enjoy the movie (its not exactly a complicated plot), it definitely helps. Seeing Solo appear and die, seeing Leia, seeing Luke...hell even seeing the opening titles would all enhance the film for a fan, but I obviously didn't feel anything, even Solo dying didn't really bother me all that much.

A couple of questions though: Who's that main hologram villain? Are we supposed to know who he is yet? And why did R2D2 choose to wake up at that point? Also, who created the map and why was it split into two parts? Not sure if we're supposed to know any of these things yet or not.

All in all it was enjoyable. It's not going to turn me into a Star Wars fan as such, but I'll probably go to the cinema to see the rest of the films.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post

A couple of questions though: Who's that main hologram villain? Are we supposed to know who he is yet? And why did R2D2 choose to wake up at that point? Also, who created the map and why was it split into two parts? Not sure if we're supposed to know any of these things yet or not.
    Glad you enjoyed the film overall as a neutral person. Anyway, even seasoned fans like myself don't know the answer to those questions yet, but many fans do have theories on stuff like that already. I'm more of a wait and see person, though. But yeah, don't be concerned because you have those questions because even hardcore fans aren't supposed to know.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm going to assume that the map was split into two parts to make it harder to find, but since both the Rebellion and the First Order were looking for Luke, I'm not sure who did it. Unless it was Luke himself.

Also, I think Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) not looking the part of the baddy was a deliberate choice. Because he actively chooses the dark side and hates that he's got good in him. He's not really SUPPOSED to be a bad guy. So I think choosing the funny looking baby-faced guy was intentional (disclaimer: I find Adam Driver ridiculously attractive).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jar Jar Jinks View Post
    Also, I think Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) not looking the part of the baddy was a deliberate choice. Because he actively chooses the dark side and hates that he's got good in him. He's not really SUPPOSED to be a bad guy. So I think choosing the funny looking baby-faced guy was intentional (disclaimer: I find Adam Driver ridiculously attractive).
    That makes sense, I guess I just wasn't a fan.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And as far as Rey beating him fairly easily, she does seem like she's had some experience with melee weapons before that, but I think the biggest part of it (aside from use of the force coming fairly easy to her) is that it's kind of implied that Ren isn't as powerful as he maybe could be and wants to be. Certainly Rey says as much when she picks up on his fear that he'll never be as powerful as Darth Vader. That and he's clearly hot headed and prone to wild outbursts of anger and may even be held back from his true power because he's unable to fully give himself over to the dark side so far. It's also made clear he isn't finished his training yet which could also help explain it.

But I think any and all of that could have held him back making it impossible for him to really reach his full potential, and taking his head out of the battle. Certainly seeing someone who's a natural with the force when he clearly struggles with his place in it may have thrown him off and lead to him fighting in a rage rather than drawing upon his knowledge of lightsaber combat.

Also he had been shot with the bowcaster, which was established a bunch of times throughout the film will send a stormtrooper flying through the air as it kills them. So even just from a physical perceptive, he wasn't exactly 100%.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yep, the guy had a ton of things going against him in that battle, and he's more of a Dark Jedi rather than a Sith Lord. Snoke even said he wanted General Hux to pick him up and take him off planet to "complete his training." It's not overwhelming in numbers, but there are still way too many people who just don't get Kylo Ren's character and it is so disappointing. I thought people didn't like the one dimension characters from the prequels or antagonists that just scowled and were just there to look "cool." I'll admit I wasn't totally in love with Kylo at first, but the more I'm thinking about it, the more I am excited to see where they go with that character. Plus, he earned enough dark side points to get a cool scar now!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree Sephex. He's got a lot more going on for him than the other villains tended to, especially the prequel villains. There's something quite interesting about a villain that's actually conflicted showing up in the series. I look forward to them getting a bit more into what happened with him and where he goes in the future films.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The movie was excellent. Kylo, Rey, Finn were all superb. I hope we see more of Poe in the later films because he was great too. BB8 would have stolen the show if it wasn't for Rey being so damn intense. She was the perfect lead.

The film kept to the old themes and introduced them to a new generation, which is what I expected. I'm sure they will take more risks in the next two. It did a great job blending in the older characters (Han & Chewie) with the new. I was skeptical that Harrison Ford could play old Han Solo instead of just being old Harrison Ford but I really felt that was Han on screen.

The reveal for Kylo Ren was exactly what I thought it would be and I liked that Abrams didn't draw it out. Shows respect for the audience for not drawing out an obvious 'twist', which so many others fail to do these days. It also had to be that way so that some kind of relationship could be quickly established for Han & Klyo for when they meet at the end of the film. I sobbed out of my mind at that scene. That was probably the most I cried at a movie scene in years. It was like seeing your childhood melt away in front of you.

It was also nice that Rey's parentage was flashed upon but not confirmed (though we all know whose daughter she is). It's now one of those things where the audience knows what's up but the character doesn't, so the suspense is now seeing how she finds out (and who her mother was).

My biggest gripe was a super nerd thing where I'm not sure how Kylo Ren, obviously still in need of Sith training, can read minds when even Darth smurfing Vader couldn't do that. Otherwise, he would have found out the hidden base from Leia in Episode IV!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Anakin could read minds. He read Luke's mind about Leia. He was even so powerful he did not need this whole hand thing.

Just to clarify, I do 'get' Kylo Ren's character, especially now I've managed to read some explanations, I just didn't like him as a villain.

I guess in Star Wars it's been mostly bland one dimensional villains? I dunno, but I didn't think there was anything spectacular about him, especially since the level of his strength seemed all over the place...then again I only have a limited understanding of The Force so it might make sense.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm 100% alright with Rey beating Kylo during the lightsaber battle. Luke and Anakin both did impossible things through the Force when they were untrained, why couldn't Rey? Besides that, Kylo Ren doesn't seem very disciplined, and I'd be willing to bet he didn't finish his own training before falling to the Dark Side. His adoration of Vader's accomplishments and complete disregard for Anakin's return seems to have given him delusions of grandeur about the Dark Side, and I've never really considered the Dark Side to be stronger. It makes sense to me that Rey got the drop on him this go around, but I'm fully expecting an Empire moment next movie. He'll come back and he'll be better prepared.

Speaking of the Dark Side, I love how Rey was tempted by little things throughout the movie, like selling BB-8 for more food, and how easily she overcame these temptations, but during that fight it seemed very likely that she was Dark for a bit, but stayed completely in control. It's probably a stretch, but the fan in me was going nuts during that fight.