Thread: Hello, steam version and...

Default Hello, steam version and...

Hello, again. I was out of the FF8 scene for 4~5 years. I'm back now, at least for a bit. Hope you're all well!

Earlier this week I was browsing on Steam and this sale (FF8) came up, so I got nostalgic for a bit. This steam version has HD models and stuff, so I figured, why not? Decided to play it to the end just to relieve my memories of the greatest FF game.

Now, my FF8 memory is hella rusty. Very, but I've found something new:

In Disc 1, a Timber soldier mentions that he and Rinoa knew each other since childhood. As kids, he threw one slug at Rinoa, and in return she threw 20 slugs back at him - indicating an act of rage? Justified? Yes, a little too extreme though. Anyways, this soldier then ends his message with the line "don't get on her bad side."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

i didn't even know there was an FF8 scene!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't remember that either. Not sure if it's different between the PC or PS version, although last time I played I didn't talk to a lot of the Timber guys.

Thanks.
    Mirage, I meant the world of sane....insane theorizing

Anyways, reading Selphie's diary and I just paused.

Selphie claims that she and Rinoa "are a lot alike". Did she imply that both of them are similar, personality wise, no?

Here's an snippet of Selphie's diary:

Or was she actually refering to her next line?

"We just march to a different beat."

Well, obviously. Selphie and Rinoa as well as the others all have the same objectivity (completing missions, killing Ultimecia, etc.) but just with different styles / beats. But why the need to point that out so blatantly?

This may be meaningless to you but to me, it just reminds me of my Rinoa=Selphie theory, I guess. That Selphie was a late / rushed character creation. Similar to the case when SE decided to change Fang's gender during the XIII development stage.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

A character being rushed doesn't mean a character is literally the same as another character
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I think if Rinoa and Selphie were the same character, there'd be no point in introducing Selphie to the story. I think both characters share similar goals but are different in personality. I think Selphie was just mentioning how she and Rinoa share similar goals and possibly certain personality traits in efforts to show others that read her page/blog that Rinoa is just like any other girl and not to weary of her because she's a sorceress (which is one of Rinoa's biggest fears).

Articles
    Blog Entries

So... if I told Selphie to go smurf herself would she and Rinoa get it on?

Made a new thread just for that Rinoa=Selphie thing.

Some of the characters' HD models look so weird and warped, but the enemies' HD models look really good though, especially Edea and Ulti.