Thread: Crow taste surprisingly a lot like gatorade

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the game. I was actually debating replaying it about 2 days ago but my backlog is too long already

Seriously been debating getting XIII-2 for like 2 years now, and it's super cheap so I just should eventually

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, i agree that this game could have been salvageable if you had access to the entire crystarium from the beginning, so that you could grind if you wanted, and could customize the characters in any way you see fit, since even the completely unlocked crystaria don't give everyone the same skills, so the characters would have been different enought. That, and there really is no sense of choice whatsoever - it's al; nice and complex looking, but that complexity is only skin-deep because the crystarium itself is actually a line that's just been bent a lot to look nice.

I disagree about the story, however, but I do realize my standards for video game stories are kinda different from what most people expect I will say this, though - the lore was interesting. Too bad the execution was so poor.

I am playing FFXIII-2 on and off, actually, and I'm liking it considerably better, though, ironically enough since I'm a MegaTen fan, I'm not wild about the third party member being a monster. I think this might relate to the fact that I just considered their designs just very bland.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It does have it's faults. So does every game

I think I'm just easy to please when it comes to video games. If you see my video game diary, I like most things that I play. I guess I still easily get enjoyment out of them even with glaring faults

Articles
    Blog Entries

The exploration may bother me more if I gave a crap about world exploration and side-quests, but I don't. Don't think I ever have, actually. Came to that conclusion last year when I zipped through FFXII just going from one story point to the next. I play for the main quest, so if they want to streamline that, it's no hair off my back.

My only gripes right now is with the camera and an oversaturation of enemies with a Battle System that looks annoying to deal with on its surface. Yesterday while I was playing XIII my brother was also playing a demo of Lightning Returns and we got to talking about the Battle System, and it honestly doesn't sound like they changed much. Only difference he noted was that you could slow things down to get more hits. The rest was more or less the same, and he found it off-putting 'cause it looks irritating, which it is. I switched less gears driving my father's truck. Then you find out you can just change which jobs you want that party member to have in each paradigms, and I'm sitting there like, "Okay, where was this tutorial!?"

Which still doesn't matter because you still need a straight up offense if you want to stagger enemies quickly, and then change to the job that has the healer so you can save on potions. And depending on the type of enemy it still doesn't matter because you switch to the paradigm you need only to have to switch back halfway through because they hit you more than you can hit them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah. It's also kind of infuriating that there really is no point in choosing your own attacks as auto-battle really chooses the optimal attacks in a much shorter amount of time than you ever could.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Yeah. It's also kind of infuriating that there really is no point in choosing your own attacks as auto-battle really chooses the optimal attacks in a much shorter amount of time than you ever could.
    No. Just no. This really is blatantly untrue unless you have no idea of the combat system and how it works. Auto-Battle puts priority on completely useless trout and choosing abilities yourself is vital if you want to have any sort of efficiency. I can't count how many times I facepalmed when it decided to go "Ruin - Attack - Attack" on my main physical attacker just because I hadn't yet determined the enemy's physical and magical resistances. Or how many times it switches up elemental spells and strikes because the minimal chain bonus that gives is apparently better than going for the variant that actually deals damage (and also gets casted WAY faster which is something the AIs absolutely NEVER consider). And that's not even going into Synergists and Saboteurs which for the most part have no idea how to prioritize buffs and debuffs properly (worst part is when Synergists only use one buff at a time).

There are legitimate complaints to be had against the FF XIII combat system, no question. I'd even say the very existence of Auto-Battle was a bad choice. But Auto-Battle is not better than choosing abilities yourself. It just isn't.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Stringing up your own combos to see what works and what doesn't is half the fun, anyway. Soon as I realized I could pick more than one ability per session I was having a lot of fun with it. Auto-Battle really hasn't helped me die less. It's just the lazy man's button.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, the game certainly knew faster than I did which enemy was vulnerable to which element and whether the physical or magical variant would work better, so I stand by my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Yesterday while I was playing XIII my brother was also playing a demo of Lightning Returns and we got to talking about the Battle System, and it honestly doesn't sound like they changed much. Only difference he noted was that you could slow things down to get more hits. The rest was more or less the same, and he found it off-putting 'cause it looks irritating, which it is.
    Now, this I don't quite get. The Lightning Returns battle system seemed markedly different to the battle system in XIII and XIII-2 to me. Auto-battle is completely gone, only one playable character, three command sets with four commands each - which you assign to each command set - to switch between which have independent ATB gauges, no more class system... How is it the same?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I haven't even played LR yet but I've seen videos and it looks totally different. It's actually the reason I picked up XIII at all in the first place - I wanted to reach that one game that looked the most interesting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Yesterday while I was playing XIII my brother was also playing a demo of Lightning Returns and we got to talking about the Battle System, and it honestly doesn't sound like they changed much. Only difference he noted was that you could slow things down to get more hits. The rest was more or less the same, and he found it off-putting 'cause it looks irritating, which it is.
    Now, this I don't quite get. The Lightning Returns battle system seemed markedly different to the battle system in XIII and XIII-2 to me. Auto-battle is completely gone, only one playable character, three command sets with four commands each - which you assign to each command set - to switch between which have independent ATB gauges, no more class system... How is it the same?
    He probably didn't do a good job of describing it, then. He mentioned the Stagger Gauge, Libra, and Paradigms, and already shared my feelings about constantly switching jobs in one fight. He never played the first one so he has nothing to compare it to. Is the demo that different from the main game?

Edit: Not Libra, but pressing R1 to see the enemy's stats which usually require the use of Libra at least in 1.

He probably didn't do a good job of describing it, then. He mentioned the Stagger Gauge, Libra, and Paradigms, and already shared my feelings about constantly switching jobs in one fight. He never played the first one so he has nothing to compare it to. Is the demo that different from the main game?

Edit: Not Libra, but pressing R1 to see the enemy's stats which usually require the use of Libra at least in 1.
    You can still look at enemy's weaknesses and trout with R1. The Stagger Gauge also still exists, but the whole "the faster you stagger someone the quicker they'll recover" thing has been done away with. Paradigms no longer exist: there are no set roles. You customise which actions (e.g. Attack, Mediguard, Fira, etc) each of the command sets (called 'Schemata') she's currently "wearing" have. You pick upgrades for these actions by killing trout, mainly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

He just happens to mention the only two similarities the two games have, and my mind must have drew in the blanks from there since I never played LR. That's kind of funny, actually.

Well, if he thought the battle system in LR was bad he isn't going to like the rest of the trilogy.

Blog Entries

There is this place before you get to pulse that you must stay at for a while. You get credit chips there which can be sold for money. In FFXIII if you spend time leveling up weapons, the game is much easier. When I play FFXIII I manage to stay on that ship for as long as I can. When I got every characters weapon maxed I save some more money and then leave. You can get more money by continuing but for sanity sake you probably want to do a combo of 4 or more ways to get money or you WILL drive yourself insane.

As a comparison between the trilogy Final Fantasy XIII-2 is undoubtedly my favorite. XIII is too liner and takes forever to complete. If you want to level all weapons and accessories you could spend lots and lots of time. In XIII-2 I managed to get every monster, all items, everything 3 times in my life.

As for Lightning Returns the game to me was too puzzling like it needed a walkthrough just to know it all. The best features of the game were only accessible AFTER you beat the game. However it did a beautiful job in story line. Making it so FFXIII was finally given a happy ending.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    There is this place before you get to pulse that you must stay at for a while. You get credit chips there which can be sold for money. In FFXIII if you spend time leveling up weapons, the game is much easier. When I play FFXIII I manage to stay on that ship for as long as I can. When I got every characters weapon maxed I save some more money and then leave. You can get more money by continuing but for sanity sake you probably want to do a combo of 4 or more ways to get money or you WILL drive yourself insane.

As a comparison between the trilogy Final Fantasy XIII-2 is undoubtedly my favorite. XIII is too liner and takes forever to complete. If you want to level all weapons and accessories you could spend lots and lots of time. In XIII-2 I managed to get every monster, all items, everything 3 times in my life.

As for Lightning Returns the game to me was too puzzling like it needed a walkthrough just to know it all. The best features of the game were only accessible AFTER you beat the game. However it did a beautiful job in story line. Making it so FFXIII was finally given a happy ending.
    I agree wholeheartedly. LR I only completed day 1 (following a guide) and gave up as I was just infuriated by it. I may go back to it, but just cannot bring myself to do it at present.