Thread: Star Wars Prequels: What did you enjoy?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Star Wars Prequels: What did you enjoy?

These movies get a lot of trout (and for good reason, they're horrible), but I feel like there are some good things too.

I really, really, REALLY love Ewan McGregor as young Obi-Wan. I think he did the best he could with the script he was given, and I actually really enjoy scenes he's in because I think he's such a wonderful actor.

Amidala/Padme's outfits.

How they expanded on the Force and Jedis in general. Yeah, midichlorians is stupid af, but the Jedi Order isn't.

"So this is how democracy dies? With thunderous applause." I know that line is corny, but I love it.

What do you like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

podracing video game

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Obi-Wan was generally pretty great, Natalie Portman looked great (the words that were written for her were frequently cringe-worthy), and the subplot of Obi-Wan investigating the creation of the clone army in Episode II was actually pretty interesting, albeit poorly developed and constantly interrupted by some of the most painful love scenes in the history of cinema.

That's... about it.

The spin-offs! The Clone Wars animated series is really good. Ahsoka <3

And I liked the lightsaber duels, especially Anakin vs Obi-Wan.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The Lego video game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I liked Ewan McGregor and Padme's outfits, too. And the Jedi Order.

Ian McDiarmid was pretty awesome in Episode III, also.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I liked the settings. Naboo was beautiful and Star Wars hadn't yet seen a truly beautiful world. Coruscant as one giant metropolis was amazing, and the ocean world, mountain world, and lava world were pretty cool too. Actually, Force Awakens really fell short of the prequels in this regard. All the worlds they visited (except the very last one) felt like reruns.

The lightsaber fights were pretty cool, except when they did the stupid strobe lighting and just going back and forth to close ups of their faces. Phantom Menace had probably the best lightsaber fight in the series. And throw me out of town for this, but I actually liked watching Yoda fight.

The music was not as memorable as the originals, but still better than most any other movie. I still hum the Anakin Padme love theme or Duel of the Fates.

Unlike many Star Wars fans I actually like the prequels. I've watched them many times and will watch them again.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Swan McGregor is just amazing to watch. Even with such a terrible script, he is having so much fun with this material.

Darth Mall is a smurfing bad ass. Even without dialogue there was a clear threat any time he showed up.

Really the casting was pretty damn solid overall, it's just a shame there was no saving that script most of the time.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Swan McGregor

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Jar-Jar Binks was actually pretty freaking funny as a comic relief scene and the pod-racing scene was really intense. Some of the villains like Darth Maul and General Grievous were really enjoyable too as they were fairly complex characters who oozed charisma with unclear motives and grey morals. The Clone Wars were a gripping conflict and we get caught up in the struggles and hopes and dreams of its combatants, as well as empathising with the people whose lives are torn apart by the war. I also don't usually get emotional when it comes to romances in movies but the forbidden love and intense passion of Anakin and Padme made me have all of the feels.

I love how Anakin hates sand because smurf sand

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Jar-Jar Binks was actually pretty freaking funny as a comic relief scene and the pod-racing scene was really intense. Some of the villains like Darth Maul and General Grievous were really enjoyable too as they were fairly complex characters who oozed charisma with unclear motives and grey morals. The Clone Wars were a gripping conflict and we get caught up in the struggles and hopes and dreams of its combatants, as well as empathising with the people whose lives are torn apart by the war. I also don't usually get emotional when it comes to romances in movies but the forbidden love and intense passion of Anakin and Padme made me have all of the feels.
    This and Papa Palpatine. Gonna love that sexy face.

I AM THE SENATE!

I grew up as a Star Wars fan, enjoyed the prequels and sequels, despite their many flaws. Would have preferred the sequels followed the path laid by Force Awakens.

If you haven’t “experienced” it already, one of the best things to come out of the prequels is the “Darth Jar Jar” theory. It’s fun.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    I grew up as a Star Wars fan, enjoyed the prequels and sequels, despite their many flaws. Would have preferred the sequels followed the path laid by Force Awakens.
    Hell yeah! Rise of Skywalker got me so confused!