Thread: Suikoden V Tips

Blog Entries

Default Suikoden V Tips

Hi does anyone have any tips for this game? Ive got a guide for the stars of destiny to collect but will it defeat the point of playing if I use it? 108 sounds like alot, even for an RPG veteran like myself. Apparently you cant miss any or else. Does a save game plus take care of that problem?

Any help, with as few spoilers as possible please would be appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You have some leeway with collecting characters. One tip I will give if you are using the Prima guide that it misses; is that once you hire Oboro to investigate the attack on the Dawn Rune shrine, go to Estrise in the far east from the Burow's hometown (you'll have to cross a bridge) you'll meet up with his two ninja assistants and can do a sidequest helping them with the investigation. If you do this, the first time Oboro becomes available to recruit, he'll join along everyone on his crew except Sahigri. If you don't do this sidequest, then you have to ask him after every major battle if he'll join but he tends to ignore you until your 3/4ths of the way into game. By that point, his companions, Shigure and Sahigri are not as potent as other character's you've recruited.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

In most Suikoden games, some extra work plus your investigator are generally enough to figure out most of the recruits without too much trouble. Suikoden V is the exception, especially since the investigator that's supposed to help you is strangely one of the most easily missable recruits in the game. Just be sure to talk to Oboro and his lackeys early and frequently. And no, I don't think a character recruitment guide would defeat the point of the game, but that's up to personal preference. I don't think the save game plus "solves" anything; it just lets you roll over some items.

108 characters sounds like a lot, but it really isn't that bad, and is a staple of the whole Suikoden series. The game isn't that difficult, so I doubt you need many tips, and it might be more effective if you play a bit and then ask more specific questions. One thing I'll mention, that may or may not be in your guide, is that you might want to try to not be too mean to your sister if you want all of the endings available to you.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately the copy i had doesnt work so i have had to get a refund. Im a bit dubious about getting another copy in case this game itself is a bit glitchy anyway. The scratch on the disk was so minor but the problems it caused were bad. So i think i will leave this one for now and use my refund money to buy ps1's final fantasy anthology (im not a big fan of 4 but i absolutely love 5)