Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School Memories

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post
    Carnelian are you going through the timelords in order of regeneration? Thats a pretty good way of changing your avatar

and Sephex, i really dont know what to say, i think you may have gone to school on some kind of astral plane/hell realm.

Psychotic: how did you manage to set a clock on fire lol?

Thank you all for sharing, i dont really want to depress you with the mentally scarring experiences of my own
    It was the 90s. The 90s were different.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I remember after Columbine, our school used metal detectors for the first time. They've actually had them for years, & got some heat from the Mayor's Office because they waited so long to use them. Anyway, about 1/3 of the school was taken aside as they had everything from pocket knives, to lighters & guns on them. One guy in one of my classes got in trouble for having a taser on him. My friend, who carried the box cutter he used for work, got lucky because he was warned ahead of time about it & threw the box cutter into the bushes.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Thankfully, being in the UK, all I had to worry about was the rough playground black-market for Pokemon cards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Thankfully, being in the UK, all I had to worry about was the rough playground black-market for Pokemon cards.
    Let's not forget in UK schools that kids can stab you with a compass (maths equip) on a school bus then push you off it mere seconds after it has stopped.

Whoops I wasn't going to say anything!
    Oh well....

Articles
    Blog Entries

Who even uses compasses in school anyway? I can't recall ever using a compass.

Anyway, primary school was good enough. It was a decent build of a primary school with decent enough facilities. I was probably the mark of an average student: I was very attentive and was almost painfully well behaved, but academically I was incredibly average. The Government expected level for literacy, mathematics and science was level 4, and I got 4, 4, 5. I was always slightly better at the sciences. Funnily enough, my classmates always thought of me as rather clever. I've no idea what they got overall, but if they thought of me as one of the top 5 or so of the class, the average for my year must have been somewhat lower.

I don't really remember too many experiences. There was this really weird time during... year four, I think it was? During break one day, one of my acquaintances who I was playing with at the time. We were resting inside these hollow cube structures on the playground, and she propositioned me to play 'pretend sex'. Suffice to say I was taken aback, so I promptly said no and sorta made an excuse to leave. It was beyond strange.

I was actually a very active child; I loved the obstacle course set in breaks; I always made a habit to take over it and go round and round during breaks and I wish there was an adult version available. I did talk with my school friends, and I also enjoyed playing tag. I was a decent, if not spectacular runner, but I did make use of tactically shielding my friends from the catchers by drawing their fire. I was also fairly adept at jump rope, and towards my later time in Primary school picked up football to try and ingratiate myself with the football crowd of my year. I wasn't awesome at it, but I was alright.

But my favourite experience was playing prisoner dodgeball during French lessons. Once a week, our French teacher would take us outside and play prisoner dodgeball. It was great fun! There were a few variations (prisoners could only re-enter the game if a ball thrown over by their team, but they could pick up stray balls if the other side spectacularly fumbled) but it was a good, tactical game, and we didn't use hard balls, either.

I moved to a different place at the end of year six, Bournemouth, for my secondary schooling. It's also one of the few councils which still have an 11+ exam, which is usually taken towards the end of year six, but because I wasn't there, I didn't take it. This meant that I was pretty much at the bottom sets of classes and had to work my way up the pecking order, so to speak. I was again a fairly average student overall, but I got up to second top set for English, and second top set for Science. I sort of languished in the bottom of the middle sets for Maths.

It was an all-boys school, which makes it sound posh, but we were in special measures for the last two years, which gives you an indication of the relative quality. I mean, it wasn't terrible. But it could have been a better school.

Year seven went quietly enough, but year eight was when I first exhibited depressive behaviour, which continued and strengthened throughout the year. This rolled over into year nine, and it was only by year ten that I was back to anyway normal. It has affected my outlook, admittedly. My year ten - eleven persona wasn't depressive, as such, but I was far more introverted, and almost adult-like in maturity and outlook. I acted beyond my years, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Still, year ten and eleven was when my results improved substantially. I was definitely a late bloomer in terms of results.

Sixth form was better, and it was at a different school as my secondary . I had a good circle of friends (unfortunately, I only really keep into contact with two of them, I wasn't a core member) and I really excelled myself in participation, getting involved in the student leadership team. I actually formed my second circle of friends with that class, and we always ended up helping the school with whatever event they wanted to host. We were the workforce behind the running of awards evenings, sixth form events, etc. It was a tight knit group, and one I enjoyed.

I also enjoyed my classes, more or less. Forensic Science was... alright. I did get an A* in it, but I can't say I was terribly connected to it. Having said that, I played surrogate teacher many times for my classmates who struggled in the work. I especially enjoyed sociology however. It was never the best taught class, but it really gave me a sense of passion for the subject, and I ended up taking it for University.

Blog Entries

Your answers are very detailed Formalhaut, I can tell you're a writer. I am too. My degree is in English and Creative Writing and I graduated 10 years ago. And the maths equip you ask? Yes we had those things with the needle points on, we hardly ever used them, we occaisionally drew circles, but I went to high school in the '90s so that might explain a thing or two. I got bullied all the way through school, and I wouldn't want to go too deep into it, not in this forum at least. I've started posting in Timber Maniacs so.....

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In elementary school we would have a huge series of games outside against each class. Our team/class won one year by winning the very last game: tug of war. We had a lot of strong kids on our team.

During middle school the entire 8th grade built catapults and trebuchets and proceeded to have a giant water fight with the teachers on the school lawn. In high school my favorite memory was shooting a 24 hour horror movie in which we proceeded to trash the entire high school with permission. Blood, dirt and paper were everywhere. We even trashed the Vice Principal's office. We also had archery during gym. I took it for my senior year and a lot of really hilarious and fun things occurred during that class.

During college I had a lot of fond memories, but most of which include stuff too raunchy to talk about here. I also enjoyed being able to go on film sets and seeing that whole process.

Blog Entries

Well said Kanno

Blog Entries

I went to a state school in one of the most deprived areas of the country. Funnily enough there isn't much to remember. Lack of funding meant there were zero extra-curricular activities so nobody really had the opportunity to do anything crazy (also because everyone was doped up on various prescribed and non-prescribed drugs). We'd just go there to fulfill legal obligations then go home. The kids didn't give a toss and neither did the teachers.

there was a picture here

School was fun. I have no bad memories of it, but I've enjoyed my life more since I left and have had the freedom to do what I want to do. It's not something I would particularly want to go back to.

EDIT: Also, saying a school was an "all boys school" certainly doesn't make it sound posh in my eyes, my school was all boys too and it was pretty rough. Same with the all girls school in the area.

Blog Entries

I was always academic minded but, due to my issues I didn't always achieve good results. My reading skill suffered terribly at my negligent primary school, I've had to teach myself the habit of reading which is still not up to the standard of other adults. Don't get me wrong, my vocab is excellent and I'm blessed not to suffer with dyslexia, but my teachers failed to teach me about patience and concentration. I'm still battling this today, and can feel quite inadequate at the side of my peers who are more well read than me. I've truly had to push myself, and ended up with a 2:1 honours degree in literature and writing which basically gives the mental finger to those rotten teachers. I'm very proud of my degree, even if its the only great achievement in my life.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I honestly don't remember school at all, if I wasn't fall on my face wasted I was on the ice playing hockey. I really have no memories at all of school outside of grade 7 and down.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Let's not forget in UK schools that kids can stab you with a compass (maths equip) on a school bus then push you off it mere seconds after it has stopped.

Whoops I wasn't going to say anything!
    Oh well....
    I wouldn't know. We didn't have school buses.

And even then, for all the playground "stabbings" with compasses, it hardly really compares to potentially getting shot.

I was always academic minded but, due to my issues I didn't always achieve good results. My reading skill suffered terribly at my negligent primary school, I've had to teach myself the habit of reading which is still not up to the standard of other adults. Don't get me wrong, my vocab is excellent and I'm blessed not to suffer with dyslexia, but my teachers failed to teach me about patience and concentration. I'm still battling this today, and can feel quite inadequate at the side of my peers who are more well read than me. I've truly had to push myself, and ended up with a 2:1 honours degree in literature and writing which basically gives the mental finger to those rotten teachers. I'm very proud of my degree, even if its the only great achievement in my life.
    That's cool. Which topic did you do your dissertation on?

Blog Entries

Yeah I know I just meant not as bad as shooting but worse than Pokemon card wars is all.

I was joint honours so I didn't do a full dissertation. I did do a short one for creative writing where I did a fantasy quest story based on the circles of hell in Dantes Inferno (btw that makes me sound brainer than I actually am.