Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default SPOILER SENSITIVITY

How sensitive are you to spoilers? Can a single glimpse of a character in a game ruin it for you? Or can you know all the twist and turns of the story and still be completely entertained?

I've found that I've become pretty impervious to spoilers as I'm older. Sure, it's nice to go in completely blind into a story from time to time, but my time spent on TV tropes has kind of made take more of an "been there done that" attitude, and I just try to enjoy things for what they are even if I know what's coming from a mile.

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think as I have gotten older, I have become more immune to spoilers as well.

It must be the impetuousness of youth.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't have bought and played Undertale if I hadn't had one of its twists spoiled for me (because that's when I knew I would like this game), but I would probably be planning murders right now if someone had spoiled the major twists of my favorite visual novels. When it's not a big thing or something you're supposed to realize on your own over time I can usually enjoy the story just fine. It only really affects the first playthrough anyways, beyond that I can appreciate replays just as much as if I hadn't been spoiled in the first place. And I love replaying stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Either way works for me really. Sometimes I actively look for them when I want to know what the heck is going on, other times I just wait and see

I'm fairly indifferent as well. I prefer to be blind, especially for really good works. But knowing Vader is Luke's father doesn't diminish the enjoyment of everything that leads up to that point

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Vader is Luke's father
    What? Wow, come on man where is the tag

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm less sensitive to game spoilers as I am to movie/book/TV spoilers. With the latter, I watch/read those for the story, so having that spoiled is a big deal. For games, I play them for the story but also for the gameplay experience, so having some story moments spoiled doesn't ruin the experience. Games are still pretty good at keeping major story elements out of previews and EoFF is always sensitive to recent released game spoilers. However, I really don't like that movie trailers these days give away half the plot in the trailers.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I think it's really annoying. I like going blind into most stories. I got that thing in SW7 spoiled, and it made that moment a lot less tense for me. It was now just a "oh, so this is it..."
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, if I'm in the middle of playing said game and someone spoils it for me I put them in a Force Choke until they're on their knees begging for their sad excuse of an existence to continue in this world. Otherwise, I'm indifferent.

Blog Entries

Sometimes I just get impatient to know and look it up online. If its an old game or I struggle with the game I still wanna know how it ends

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mr. Carny hates spoilers. Me? I'm kinda easy. As Fynn said, because of tropes and traditions, I can sort of call something happening like half an hour in sometimes, so it would only annoy me if there was some really original idea or story that got spoiled.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Mr. Carny hates spoilers. Me? I'm kinda easy. As Fynn said, because of tropes and traditions, I can sort of call something happening like half an hour in sometimes, so it would only annoy me if there was some really original idea or story that got spoiled.
    I'm like that with tv shows, I can sometimes see the ending coming a mile off. That does depend on how good the writing is though. Excellent writers who throw me curve balls are the ones that keep me watching.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I think it's really annoying. I like going blind into most stories. I got that thing in SW7 spoiled, and it made that moment a lot less tense for me. It was now just a "oh, so this is it..."
    Oh, see, I had that spoiled for me too, but I still thought the scene was very effective and could appreciate it very much regardless

I like to go in blind. It's the only way to truely experience a game the way it is supposed to be imo.

But then again sometimes it is necessary to be a little bit spoilered just to be sure whether the purchase will be worth it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I didn't get it spoiled for me and I still saw it coming a mile away.