View Poll Results: Do you use walkthroughs/guides?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 31.25%
  • Depends

4 25.00%
  • Yes, but not on the first playthrough

4 25.00%
  • Only when I need help

7 43.75%
  • Nope, never

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use walkthroughs/guides?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Do you use walkthroughs/guides?

I will on the first playthrough if I know it's complicated and want a particular thing/things/endings. If not, I usually will on a second or third playthrough to see different things or find things I've missed. Otherwise just when I need help with a rough spot

Articles
    Blog Entries

I use walkthroughs all the time. I don't like missing things, and I always want to know what I can do to complete every sidequest, every hidden thing.

So yes, I will shamelessly use guides. Even if Mr. Carny rolls my eyes while I use them.

I used to be super strict about not using a walk through on the first play, but then everything was fair game after that.
    Nowadays, I'm lucky if I have enough time to finish through a game one time so I tend to research if I need to use a walk through or not, and I'm not afraid to use one if it will greatly impact the game.

Some Text Here.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Yes because there are some "puzzles" out there that rely on you knowing what Basil II had for breakfast on February 21, 1011. In a universe that didn't even have a Byzantine Empire. And missables, I hate missables. Especially the ones that involve going back to your home town when you've entered the final dungeon, but just entered because if you go into the next room that item is lost forever! Unless you want to play through the 80 hour game again.

But I never for physical puzzles though. I mean if they give me all the stuff I need to succeed in the game proper and I have to use a guide, I feel like I've lost.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Only when I get stuck.

Blog Entries

only if I'm really stuck

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Usually on the second play through and beyond to find all the hard stuff that I know that I have missed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do most of the time, but it also depends on my mood. Sometimes I just want to challenge myself, but usually when I stumble upon a problem I can't solve with my brain or with additional grinding, I use a walkthrough. But I've never used one every step of the way, that kinda seems pointless to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yes, but not on the first playthrough. The first playthrough is sacred, where I just drop myself into the game and do everything the way I want to. Minmaxing and getting 100% of all the secrets can wait for later playthroughs.

There are exceptions of course. Some games have a loudly recommended way to play them and I usually follow that.

Blog Entries

I'm the best of both. But there's this game series on the PC called Sam and Max that someone I know tried to entice me into playing. I then faced incomprehensible complexity and judgemental walkthrough talk telling me if you use it too much "why are you using this walkthrough?" So that's why I can't really get on board with Sam and Max as I'm too dependant on walkthoughs for them. Another thing: does anyone find certain walkthroughs judgemental with all that talk of "you shouldve got this by now” and the self centered attitude on RPG walkthroughs making you feel like their way is the only way you can complete an RPG?

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post
    I'm the best of both. But there's this game series on the PC called Sam and Max that someone I know tried to entice me into playing. I then faced incomprehensible complexity and judgemental walkthrough talk telling me if you use it too much "why are you using this walkthrough?" So that's why I can't really get on board with Sam and Max as I'm too dependant on walkthoughs for them. Another thing: does anyone find certain walkthroughs judgemental with all that talk of "you shouldve got this by now” and the self centered attitude on RPG walkthroughs making you feel like their way is the only way you can complete an RPG?
    Kind of get where you're coming from on this, but I don't use those kind of guides on purpose.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Yes, but not on the first playthrough. The first playthrough is sacred, where I just drop myself into the game and do everything the way I want to. Minmaxing and getting 100% of all the secrets can wait for later playthroughs.

There are exceptions of course. Some games have a loudly recommended way to play them and I usually follow that.
    This is all well and good, but I know people (read: my wife) who rarely replays/rereads/rewatches anything because she thinks it's a waste of time but at the same time she wants to avoid spoilers, so whenever she's playing something and encounters a problem I look up a walkthrough for her, since I have usually played that game before and don't really mind the occasional spoiler, so I'm immune

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    And missables, I hate missables. Especially the ones that involve going back to your home town when you've entered the final dungeon, but just entered because if you go into the next room that item is lost forever! Unless you want to play through the 80 hour game again.
    And what does this item do for you? Will you ever use it? Will it ever be such a notable difference that you'll have missed out by not using it? Very, very rare are "missables" that actually make any difference whatsoever.

I never use guides or whatever for my first playthrough, but I will look things up after the fact.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    And what does this item do for you? Will you ever use it? Will it ever be such a notable difference that you'll have missed out by not using it? Very, very rare are "missables" that actually make any difference whatsoever.
    But I need it's there, I need it! Maybe if I get them all it'll fill this empty feeling in my heart.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

On certain games, Legend of Mana for example, I don't know if I would have ever gotten a lot of things available in the game without a guide. Getting the 108 Stars in certain Suikoden games is another example.

I usually play through the game once, and then if I like it enough I'll go back through with a guide. Seeing lots of new things I miss keeps it fresh.