Thread: You can always find a good friend in a book (or What are you reading?)

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default You can always find a good friend in a book (or What are you reading?)

Its time to talk about my favorite subject again! Reading! Books! Adventure and drama! I can't put into words how much I enjoy putting my face in between the pages of a good smelling book.

So lets talk about books!

e64115d1be0feb007044607d77f9c463.jpg
    Which is why my room has so many!
    Do you love reading? Of course you do! You are a nerd! We nerds here at Eyes on love reading books out of all sorts of genres. We read everything! Because books are great!

What is it about books that draw you to them? Is it the falling in love with the characters and the world, joining in on some great adventure, the peace of living a life that isn't your own? Tell us, please.

How do you read your books? Via kindle/nook/other e-reader? Do you buy new books straight from a bookstore like Barnes and Noble? Buy online? Or are you a hunter, one who goes from used bookstore to used bookstore searching for their next adventure?

Do you pick your books based off of recommendations, the back cover, the front cover, or do you read a few pages/chapter first before deciding?

What books are you reading right now? What books are you planning to read soon? Are you, like me, plowing through a many booked epic?

1916a4169f3f773dc5760e0eebfa632c.jpg

You can answer all or none of these questions, that is fine. But lets talk about books and stories and what they do to us.
    Because I love books so much, I feel the need to share this most amazing website I stumbled across. http://www.thriftbooks.com/
    Check it out nerds.

<3

EDIT:
    Also, for my fellow GoodReaders whom I am not already friends with, you can find me HERE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World; 12-30-2015 at 03:02 AM.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm still working on The Shining. I put it down for a while but I'm trying to finish it. As for Audiobooks, I'm listening to Dune right now. It's well voiced. They have music, sound effects and different voice actors. The story is slow since it's got a lot of build up but i'm impressed with the quality.

I enjoy reading but I don't do it as much. I don't like that. I'm going to try to have better time management and try to do what I enjoy (reading) and less messing around on the internet for no reason. It's a work in progress.

I was gifted a Kindle Fire for the holidays. I already have a tablet but I've decided my tablet will be used for browsing and what not while the Fire is strictly for books. I get distracted easily so not having any other apps on it has helped me so far.

As for genres, I used to stick to Fantasy and Paranomal/Urban fantasy for a the longest time but I've been trying to branch out. I actually haven't found a genre I've disliked as of yet. This is how I feel about other forms of entertainment. I enjoy most every genre of everything.

I'll take suggestions when I get them, I also like looking at "best of lists" for ideas. I also like supporting writers I meet on social media. heh.

I'm going to try to tackle the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge this year. I have this bad habit of buying books and not reading them so I have a catalog filling all the way to July of books I haven't read yet. So in about half a year, I'll be asking for some recommendations xD

I like the kindle for the convenience. Our local bookstore/movies/music store closed down 2 years ago. I have to drive 30+ miles to one now so it's easier for me to just read it digitally. I will still read physical books but it's just easier for me to get it digitally so I tend to lean that direction now.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I keep hearing about how awesome the Dune audiobook is. I love Dune, in fact, I just ordered it from ThriftBooks! I have most of the rest of the series (even those written by Paul Herbert) but I haven't been able to track down a copy of the original in the second hand bookstores. I do still need to read a bunch of the ones I have.

52 in 52 sounds like a hefty challenge. I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you will knock it out of the park.

I have a Nook tablet, but I only read it when I am far away from home, on deployment or vacation usually. I occasionally read it at home because I have so many digital copies of books that I don't own physical copies of. But I have so many actual books that I have yet to read that I haven't gotten to them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya
    Our local bookstore/movies/music store closed down 2 years ago. I have to drive 30+ miles to one now so it's easier for me to just read it digitally.
    What a nightmare. Like, literally. I go to the bookstore every single Sunday. If not on Sunday then on Saturday. The only time I don't walk out of there with books (usually at least three) I am with comics.

I made that whole long post and didn't even say what I was reading! I just started book seven of the Wheel of Time series, A Crown of Swords.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I mostly read sci-fi/fantasy because they're my favorites, but I can read anything. There's been several times on past deployments where I didn't have anything to read, so I went to the free give/take book sections of whatever random camp's MWR I happened to be near at the time, and found something to treasure. I strictly read real physical books and have no desire to ever try a digital copy, although on occasion I've picked up an audio book for a long drive. I've just finished reading Lost Stars a few days ago, which is one of the Star Wars books bridging the gap between movies, and I have no idea where I'll end up next. When it comes to books, or anything really, I don't pay attention to reviews. I choose what to read by whether it seems interesting at the time. Sometimes I go to the bookstore at the mall, while at other times I'll go to secondhand bookshops, but I don't seem to find many anymore. Why do I read? I can't explain it any better than for the story.

Blog Entries

At the risk of this getting moved and buried somewhere in that doctor who thread with the questionable title, Im reading Last Of The Gaderene a Who novel by the very brilliant Mark Gatiss

in recent times, ive also read the early discworld novels (most titles between The Colour of Magic and that one thats a Shakespeare spoof which name presently eludes me)

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've jumped into some star trek novels because I'm a nerd for things that continue the continuity of my childhood.

Blog Entries

I rarely read fiction anymore, (until Winds of Winter comes out, or I get a request to review a book), but I finished one and started a new one this week.
    On Monday, while bored out of my mind on jury duty, I finished Robert K. Massie's extensive bio on Catherine the Great. If you have any interest in her, this is an amazing source that covers the entirety of her life. The book details everything from her political schemes, her failures, her affairs, and her triumphs. I highly recommend it.
    Knowing I was near the end of that book, I brought with me to start Antonia Fraser's "Marie Antoinette: The Journey". She's only just become Dauphine in the book, so I haven't framed too deep of an opinion yet, but I'm in to it so far.