Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Combat System in an RPG

I think Valkyria Chronicles and Vagrant Story deserve a mention.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You're right. They do deserve mentions.

I do love the gameplay in Valkyria Chronicles. But that difficulty spike with the giant tank... Totally killed my momentum with the game. I need to go back through it. Not too many games like it out there

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Which giant tank? There are a few.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite overall. I'd play 100 games with that tactical grid system, and the jobs and had much more variety than other similar series like Fire Emblem.

X-2 was the best ATB. Chrono Trigger almost beats it.

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best of the modern action-turn-based hybrids where you control one character with the others in AI.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hard to pick one favorite, but Grandia II had a pretty unique one that was later copied in Child of Light (which was lauded for it). It was pretty great, what with managing a turn order in real time.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Magic View Post

Nocturne definitely has one of my favourite battle-systems and I do appreciate the defensive aspect of it ,- but I feel that the execution in practice could have been a lot better. Enemies getting extra turns just to cast instant death spells is a total pisstake IMO.
    Yeah, but by the time those types become more consistent, you should have protection from instant death magic. Let's face it, SMT is the Turn-Based RPG version of Dark Souls where you're constantly evolving your party to deal with each new creative way the game tries to kill you with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Yeah, but by the time those types become more consistent, you should have protection from instant death magic. Let's face it, SMT is the Turn-Based RPG version of Dark Souls where you're constantly evolving your party to deal with each new creative way the game tries to kill you with.
    Ahahaha, okay, agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Hard to pick one favorite, but Grandia II had a pretty unique one that was later copied in Child of Light (which was lauded for it). It was pretty great, what with managing a turn order in real time.
    I really liked Child of Light's battle system. I could easily nominate that one in this thread. Never played Grandia II though

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I really liked Child of Light's battle system. I could easily nominate that one in this thread. Never played Grandia II though
    It's actually more robust. Not only do you get four party members per battle, but you also get two basic types of attacks - one that just hits hard, while the other is weaker but sets back the enemy on the action bar. You should check it out! I think it was actually rereleased on Steam recently.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

All the Grandia games have some iteration of that battle system. Both Grandia and Grandia II are worth your time.

I gave this a little more thought and I think what I liked most about Child of Light's battle system was that all characters, enemies and bosses are susceptible to all status effects. I don't think I've seen a more honest battle system anywhere.

It's actually more robust. Not only do you get four party members per battle, but you also get two basic types of attacks - one that just hits hard, while the other is weaker but sets back the enemy on the action bar. You should check it out! I think it was actually rereleased on Steam recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    All the Grandia games have some iteration of that battle system. Both Grandia and Grandia II are worth your time.
    Thanks, I'll check out Grandia! I do need more single player experiences to draw me away from the time-sink that is Dota 2

I love CTB in FFX and this is my most favourite system.
    This is the best variant of turn-based combat system so far.
    Last edited by Zanmato; 01-07-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I might have to go with Final Fantasy XII or X-2, but Valkyrie Profile is up there too and now Indivisible is taking that Valkyrie battle system. I'm very interested to see what the end result will end up being.

Why people be sayin' Trigger but not Cross? I really liked Cross' system. It's a lot more unique than CT.

Speaking of which, I think I'm gonna be a special snowflake and say Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean. I hear the sequel is even better but I didn't like the changes it made to the battle system.

But yeah, there's a lot of really cool elements to Bk's combat. I wasn't even good at some of it but it's still really addictive.