Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Combat System in an RPG

I had an idea to balance Death and make it a valid spell to slaying bosses;

Let's say a party consists of 4. A Death spell works by channeling for a set number of turns. For normal fiends, having 1 party member channel the spell for 2-3-4 turns (depending on the strength of the fiend) will kill it. While channeling the party member cannot act and is dependant on the other party members to keep him/her alive and healthy.

Bosses would require multiple party members to channel for the same set amount of turns. For example; Boss A would need 3 party members to (co-)channel the Death spell for 3 turns. Getting stunned/petrified/k.o.-ed would interrupt the channeling ritual and cancel it. The 4th party member could be used as a sentinel/healer to tank and keep the party healthy while they are busy channeling. Also the party might want to think of putting the boss to sleep first to make sure they can channel safely.

Stacking spells I think is a good way to balance status ailments on bosses. Say a single Sleep spell wouldn't work, but if 3 party members can co-cast it (trading their damaging potential to help make the disable work) it would be effective.

Probably Final Fantasy X or Breath of Fire IV. Which felt similar in a lot of ways. I just love the ability to switch in other party members on the fly in a turnbased system, should be mandatory.