Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Chance

Default Second Chance

Just recently gave this a good second chance, well, to be honest, it's more like 5th- but you know what I mean.

• I love Dr Cid, despite him not playing the hero role, he's a highly complexed and highly underrated Final Fantasy villain. So charismatic and charming. I wish that he was the main villain instead of Vayne, but guess beggers can't be choosers.
    • The main heroes are so loveable when it comes to a party of a Final Fantasy game- there's usually one character or a few characters that you just can not stand no matter how much you make attempts- though I adore most of the main characters, yes even him. Even Vaan. Once you get to know Vaan and understand his character and why he does things, he's not so bad tbh.Even if he does look like Ellen. Though, they are not without flaws- some could be more developed, like Penelo- though it's not a Final Fantasy with some main characters being pushed to the background so others can shine. I'm not keen on Balthier still, though, there's something about him still that rubs me the wrong way. Sorry Balthier fandom.
    • The voices I have always loved them, even when I highly despised this game- though the breathing sounds drive me up the wall. They drive me insane. Basche-' You need to make a choice ' ! Ashe - ' * breathing sounds * ahh ah ah * nods head * Just no. Just stop that. It's like listening to a very annoying tennis match or something. Though it's just such an improvement from Final Fantasy X and beats Final Fantasy XIII with a stick. Yes, Ashe has obnoxious breathing sounds sometimes, but it beats Vanille's very fake and very horrible Australian accent, okay.

• The music, yeah, still have the same feelings and emotions towards it- it's dry and hollow and dull. It still makes me miss the days of Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX.
    • Vayne is a bit dry as a villain- sorry just don't enjoy him still and he still needs a haircut.
    • The battle system, yeah, still not keen on it- though the characters' journey gave me the will to keep on sprinting on.
    • The storyline, yeah still have huge issues and problems with it- but then again I adore Final Fantasy VIII and I have issues with Squall's storyline as well. The game made me treasure the characters so much, that I'm willing to forgive, and it didn't have a random flying high school. Though compared to classics like Final Fantasy IX- tis a disappointment, though it's not the junk that I thought that it was about a decade ago. It also gave me elements of Final Fantasy VI feelings, another empire rebelling tale- that I also despised when I was younger.

Basically in short- I love this game more than I did before. It's not a treasured favourite, though it's not a loathed game anymore. Sometimes you just got to give things a second chance, or a fourth- or a sixth. Humans change and our taste buds change, we learn, change and grow and things that we once upon a time hated- we now hold dearly. My thoughts towards Final Fantasy XII are- it's not overly amazing, but it's not a rotten waste either. It's a positive and warm middle. A lovely middle. A good middle. The middle of the sandwich that holds everything together and in place.

And Princess Ashe rocks, even if she does have breathing problems. She's up there with strong female characters like Yuna and Tifa Lockhart tbh. Put her in the next Dissidia Square- Enix !

If there's a game that you hated a long time ago and you feel like giving the game a second chance- do it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm glad you enjoyed it more than the last few times! In regards to the music, I'd have to partially agree; there's no 'standout' tracks that jump into my head as being memorable, unlike other games. I rather enjoyed the story, though I feel some characters barely got a look in. People like Fran and Penelo who were main characters barely get much of a look in, and other major players like Al-Cid are rather sidelined. I feel like the story is stretched thin in places, and there is an awful lot of padding: most of the southern continent is pretty much filler until you reach Bur-Omisace.

But overall, the story is a good one, and rather political, which I rather liked. I can't help but get Star Wars vibes from certain elements.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ashe can make all the breathing sounds she wa--

I mean, yeah. I needed a second take to appreciate this game, too, now it's on my Top Ten List. I liked Vayne as a villain, though, and he won't cut off his hair. His hair is the source of his power!

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Ashe can make all the breathing sounds she wa--

I mean, yeah. I needed a second take to appreciate this game, too, now it's on my Top Ten List. I liked Vayne as a villain, though, and he won't cut off his hair. His hair is the source of his power!
    Vayne was a slightly better villain than Seymour, but still not great. Mind you, it is less convoluted than "the-baddie-is-an-all-powerful-sorceress-from-the-future-who-has-posessed-the-body-of-different-sorceresses-to-free-a-sorceress-trapped-in-space" situation in VIII (my second fave Final Fantasy BTW)

And as for Ashe and breathing, I concur!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I didn't even manage to beat it on my first try, and look, now it's my favorite numbered FF.

Glad you have it another go, maybee, and that you're getting some enjoyment out of it now

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Yeah, I didn't even manage to beat it on my first try, and look, now it's my favorite numbered FF.

Glad you have it another go, maybee, and that you're getting some enjoyment out of it now
    Wow, you must have really hated the other FF games to declare this one your favourite!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by CactuarKing View Post

Wow, you must have really hated the other FF games to declare this one your favourite!!
    Wow, FFXII must have really flown over your head if you think so

Blog Entries

I just thought it was a bit m'eh.

Not the worst by a long shot (looking at you XIII) but not the best (X, then VIII)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

See, X is my least favorite.

I loved that it dared to be different with subtle characters, an involving battle system, and movie-like music. I don't really see it as more Star Wars inspired than other FFs. I just love Ivalice and how the emotions presented by the characters are just much more genuine than the dramatic proclamations everyone has every other game in the series (X and XIII especially). Fran and Balthier are hands down the best FF couple exactly because of this - their body language and the way they communicate without words tells so much more about their feelings for each other than any piece of corny dialogue could.

Blog Entries

See, X is my least favorite.

I loved that it dared to be different with subtle characters, an involving battle system, and movie-like music. I don't really see it as more Star Wars inspired than other FFs. I just love Ivalice and how the emotions presented by the characters are just much more genuine than the dramatic proclamations everyone has every other game in the series (X and XIII especially). Fran and Balthier are hands down the best FF couple exactly because of this - their body language and the way they communicate without words tells so much more about their feelings for each other than any piece of corny dialogue could.
    But whilst this may be true of their relationship I just have one word to say. Vaan. possibly the most emotionless and bland hero yet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Who is not the hero and is instead a young boy who is just along for the ride and comes to grow and mature himself through what he observes, learning that revenge is futile and thus inspiring Ashe to give up her quest for revenge, quite possibly preventing her from becoming Ivalice's version of Hitler

Blog Entries

Whilst I did enjoy XII, it just lacked a certain something. Je ne sais quoi.

Just did not really float my boat as much as X.

Not to say I haven't played it to death and enjoyed aspects of it.

XIII was a time sink and I have the Platinum Trophy, but can still see all the flaws and would not rank it amongst the greats.

Strange how people look at things from different sides and see different things.

For me, Basch was one of the best characters, Balthier a close second, and of course Ashe (aaahhhhhh yeah!!) but none of the others really engaged my attention in the same way.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know what you mean. Heck, I love FFXII but understand how it could be not for everybody. And it goes in all directions really. I mean, did you know there's people, on this very forum, who think FFXIII is... a good game?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I actually really enjoyed this one. Ff12 felt different but in a good way. And i liked the openness of it. Good game. Glad you liked it now maybee.

Blog Entries

I know what you mean. Heck, I love FFXII but understand how it could be not for everybody. And it goes in all directions really. I mean, did you know there's people, on this very forum, who thing FFXIII was... a good game?
    ** Runs Away **