Thread: Best Un-Popular Songs/Albums of 2015

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Default Best Un-Popular Songs/Albums of 2015

Ms. Fury got us started on a pretty good list for the best pop music of this year, but what about songs, albums, or groups that don't fall into the million views, standard pop song category?

I'll get us started with a few releases I found really great this year.

First we have

Sithe Ayu - Senpai EP Sithu Aye has always combined lighter, or more positive sounds into his djent/prog/metal albums. So what's next? Taking prog metal into a funny charming area by giving us an upbeat sound track to accompany the classic senpai story arc, but with a twist. Weeaboo metal? Weeaboo metal.

Kamasi Washington - The Epic The album name is probably overused, but with a 32-piece orchestra behind much of the album, it creates a lush sound, with layers and layers of melody. Each song on the three album offering moves seamlessly between big band, esoteric jazz, classic jazz, and swing, with other genres peaking out here and there. It's a lot of fun.

Sylosis - Dormant Heart One of the best thrash metal bands ever, and certainly the best right now, I think Sylosis is terribly under appreciated in the metal world. Their latest album, in my opinion, further cements their place among the metal elite. Infinitely listenable, with tons of subtle emotion behind the wall of anger. Probably my favorite album of theirs since Edge of the Earth.

High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday Gallagher's band does continue where Oasis left off in a lot of ways, lyrically and in their sound. It shouldn't be too surprising. He's also the most well known musician on this little list by far. Having said that, the band itself never makes any news in my corner of the world. This album also shows a good bit of variety as well. Elements of blues and jazz, and even some electronic elements, all make their way into the songs. It's a good sound, and I think it's a great album to have on during slow days, or while driving.

So, who will add what to the list?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Here's my list of my favourite albums from 2015:

1. Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material
    2. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
    3. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
    4. Passion Pit - Kindred
    5. Autre ne Veut - Age of Transparency
    6. Chvrches - Every Open Eye
    7. Blanck Mass - Dumb Flesh
    8. Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire
    9. Joanna Newsom - Divers
    10. Grimes - Art Angels
    11. The Go! Team - The Scene Between
    12. Young Fathers - White Men are Black Men Too
    13. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
    14. Vince Staples - Summertime '06
    15. Low - Ones and Sixes
    16. Algiers - Algiers
    17. Desaparecidos - Payola
    18. Deafheaven - New Bermuda
    19. Metric - Pagans in Vegas
    20. Sophie - PRODUCT

Honourable Mentions:
    Beach House - Depression Cherry
    Neon Indian - Vega INTL. Night School
    Susanne Sundfør - Ten Love Songs
    Titus Andronicus - The Most Lamentable Tragedy
    Wolf Alice - My Love is Cool
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Just a few, but I doubt one would really count because it is a super nerdy entry.

Between the Buried and Me - Coma Ecliptic

Though the departure from the more heavier stuff irked a good number of fans, I absolutely loved this album and found myself listening to it quite often. The band themselves said they were aiming from a rock opera-like sound in the vein of their style and I'd say they accomplished just that. The last three tracks of this album are sublime.

Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase

Much like BTBAM, I don't feel like this is Wilson's best solo effort, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. Like all of his solo albums, this one went off in a different direction why still having parts of old school prog inserted into various points of the album. Very heavy emotion on this one, as well.

RichaadEB // Ace Waters - DETERMINATION
    Here's the nerdy entry. These are all Undertale covers. I guess it could actually count since this is official merchandise approved by the creator of the game. Anyway, RichaadEB's covers are all metal based while Ace Waters are deeper synth based remixes. Sometimes the two cross over, and there are other popular YouTube cover artists that have lent their talents on this album. Even if one has not played Undertale they could find lots of enjoyment if they appreciate either of the two genres primarily focused on on this album.

Here are tracks from all albums. The videos are in the same order of my short list.

I specifically left BtBaM off the list because I knew someone else would add it. I was betting it would be Sephex.

They aren't a huge band, but they have a very loyal following. Such an amazing range to their sound, and they're damn talented. I've put on that new album a few times myself this year.

That's a pretty huge list Charlie, have any summmaries or thoughts on your stand out favorites? What would you want me to try out the most?

Blog Entries

When this kind of thing gets posted its always commented on but when I put up my weirdo retro music thread nobody bites. It aint fair I tells ya it aint fair. Lol

Well, if it's well known it'll probably have to say in that thread since it doesn't fit the theme, but if it's a group that hasn't made it into the Billboard top 100 this year and they released an album this year, feel free to talk about it!

I'll go take a look at the retro thread and add some thoughts.

Blog Entries

How kind
    Thanks

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Carrie and Lowell by Sufjan Stevens is the only new album I got this year that I remember. It was excellent though.

I should check out BTBAM. My roommates in college were fans and I haven't listened to them since then. I remember liking them though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post
    When this kind of thing gets posted its always commented on but when I put up my weirdo retro music thread nobody bites. It aint fair I tells ya it aint fair. Lol
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I rarely like talking about music because people get so salty when they find out that other people might like something differently than them. That's also the reason why I made my list so short. There were plenty of other stuff I liked, but I just wanted to keep mind simple and include a couple of things I am sure no one else would mention.

Sorry about your thread, though. It happens to everyone around here, so don't sweat it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I should check out BTBAM. My roommates in college were fans and I haven't listened to them since then. I remember liking them though.
    Their last couple have been very awesome. Besides the new one I mentioned, check out their last album Parallax II: The Future Sequence (the other Parallax is a 3 track EP). That's actually my personal favorite one (though "White Walls" off of Colors is probably my favorite song by them).

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i guess maybe i should have posted in here instead of there?

oh wellll

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex

Their last couple have been very awesome. Besides the new one I mentioned, check out their last album Parallax II: The Future Sequence (the other Parallax is a 3 track EP). That's actually my personal favorite one (though "White Walls" off of Colors is probably my favorite song by them).
    The first Parallax is what I listened to the most I think. I really enjoyed. I've heard their other stuff a bit though. I think I remember they seemed to experiment with their sound a bit so I heard quite a few tracks that seemed pretty unique and different from each other.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex

The first Parallax is what I listened to the most I think. I really enjoyed. I've heard their other stuff a bit though. I think I remember they seemed to experiment with their sound a bit so I heard quite a few tracks that seemed pretty unique and different from each other.
    Definitely a band that has evolved over the years. The only consistency is more prog-like stuff as time goes on, but if anything they back away from that with the most recent album.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Neon Indian - Vega INTL. Night School
    Safe. Vega INTL Night School is hands-down my favourite album of 2015, and Slumlord(/Slumlord's Release) my favourite track of the year.

Overall, 2015 was a really good year for music. Apart from the above I liked:

1. Model 500 - Digital Solutions
    A comeback album essentially 15 years in the making and it blew my mind. Old-school techno with a new-school feel - a couple of tracks even incorporate dubstep.

2. Roisin Murphy - Hairless Toys
    Another comeback album, this time with an artist going from traditional synth-pop to, uh, not-very-traditional ever-so-slightly progressive synthpop (isn't that a contradiction?). I got to see her perform live this year, and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

3. DaM-FunK - Invite The Light
    DaM-FunK is literally the God of funk. Enough said.

4. CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye
    Bit of a late addition, as I only first listened to this last week. Decided to try to buy this album after seeing a cool shirt of theirs online and impulse-buying it. It's really cheesy, but good God are the hooks catchy. Unrelated: Lauren Mayberry is my waifu