Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Woo!

Signature by rubah. I think.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post
    Recruitment and sales are very similar and skills are interchangeable, you'll be glad to hear. I was being shortlisted for several IT recruitment positions with my skill set from sales.

Recruitment you're selling people -- whereas I'm selling products. You have the relationship/rapport building down and the customer service element, most sales roles are entry level or training is provided.

You may not make as much money in sales, but I think that is entirely down to the company, but it's certainly what I kept getting told, but the company Ive gone with have a very nice commission structure :3

As for the redundancy, it broke my heart, literally. I didn't know it was coming, didn't know I was at risk, literally had my world turned upside down and suddenly I was on a paid-notice and unemployed. Didnt get to say my farewells or anything (as he "hadn't told anyone yet", ha). Its taken me into the New Year to get myself out of the depression and just sheer misery of it all, I loved that job.
    Haha, may be a little confusion, in recruitment we call the consultants "sales" internally because as you rightfully put it they sell people. It's essentially a glamourous version of slavery! I'm thinking of moving from my support role in to one of the recruitment consultancy roles. This would increase my pay by around 3 - 6 grand per year which is a considerable amount considering that is without commission or bonuses. Commission in recruitment tends to be a little lower than in sales but your basic is higher which is nice because even the best consultants can't always "smash their targets" as sometimes you just literally cannot find the people or vacancies to fill, though you gotta swing for them hills so to speak.

If I do the change over I could also see myself moving from London within a year or so. Which isn't the end of the world in terms of how ideas are.

Blog Entries

Woot! Congrats Zeldy!

I work in the Accounting office of a hotel in Downtown Tampa. I've been in my current position for about 4 and a half years. I've been working in hotels since I was 21.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Congrats.

I'm a self-employed games and movie critic. Not currently making any money, the woes of starting from scratch.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I recently quit my retail management job, so am currently searching again.... Who knows what I'll end up doing. Looking forward to the next challenge though.

Congrats! And boo to all you Manchester haters - it's a great city. ...For the North, anyway....

I'm in my second year of the technology graduate scheme of a major US financial services organisation. I didn't think I'd still be here after 12 months of joining, but the hours are nice and I guess the money's been too good for me to go anywhere else (yay for selling one's soul!). Also, recently rotated into a new team which is doing proper software development - a big plus for me - so I'm likely to stick around until at least September. Will see how it goes...

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Magic View Post
    Congrats! And boo to all you Manchester haters - it's a great city. ...For the North, anyway....

I'm in my second year of the technology graduate scheme of a major US financial services organisation. I didn't think I'd still be here after 12 months of joining, but the hours are nice and I guess the money's been too good for me to go anywhere else (yay for selling one's soul!). Also, recently rotated into a new team which is doing proper software development - a big plus for me - so I'm likely to stick around until at least September. Will see how it goes...
    It is indeed the capital of the North, but I like the second capital, Liverpool! So totally biased.

Your job sounds awesome, Yellow. I'm really curious about development, If I get the opportunity I will certainly pick your brain about what you do! I've worked for a software development company and now this one is selling infrastructure solutions directly from the vendors themselves, so I'd like to think I have an entry level grasp now of technology - but I'm super stoked to learn as much as I physically can (hence why I learnt basic HTML & CSS)

I wish you all the best in your job!

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Congrats. cross your fingers I find a job soon too.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Manchester is awesome. Anyone who says differently clearly doesn't know her!

I work in HR and recruitment for Sainsburys Supermarket in the centre of Manchester. By night, I am an acoustic guitarist and singer and play at least twice a month in and around the centre of town.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Manchester is awesome. Anyone who says differently clearly doesn't know her!

I work in HR and recruitment for Sainsburys Supermarket in the centre of Manchester. By night, I am an acoustic guitarist and singer and play at least twice a month in and around the centre of town.
    WHERE

It is indeed the capital of the North, but I like the second capital, Liverpool! So totally biased.

Your job sounds awesome, Yellow. I'm really curious about development, If I get the opportunity I will certainly pick your brain about what you do! I've worked for a software development company and now this one is selling infrastructure solutions directly from the vendors themselves, so I'd like to think I have an entry level grasp now of technology - but I'm super stoked to learn as much as I physically can (hence why I learnt basic HTML & CSS)

And I lived in Manchester for four years, so 100% biased ;p

Sure, feel free to reach out - although I guess I'd be in a better position to answer any questions after a couple of weeks or so, as this team I'm in is still fairly new. Basic HTML and CSS is a good start - if you add Javascript to that, you'll have a pretty solid foundation in web engineering.

Meanwhile, I'm just sat here trying to determine what company you work for!...(even if you can tell me, I'd rather figure it out myself)

And thanks for the well wishes - right back at you!

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Magic View Post

And I lived in Manchester for four years, so 100% biased ;p

Sure, feel free to reach out - although I guess I'd be in a better position to answer any questions after a couple of weeks or so, as this team I'm in is still fairly new. Basic HTML and CSS is a good start - if you add Javascript to that, you'll have a pretty solid foundation in web engineering.

Meanwhile, I'm just sat here trying to determine what company you work for!...(even if you can tell me, I'd rather figure it out myself)

And thanks for the well wishes - right back at you!
    They do alot of stuff, they see themselves as an extention to your IT department. Basically, we can manage everything internally including even hosting aswell as bespoke solutions. (I havent even started yet though!) I'd be happy to tell you my back history, you may be familiar with my previous company who were all about digital performance - they were Manchester also.

My current company are all over the UK though. Any thoughts? getting closer?

They do alot of stuff, they see themselves as an extention to your IT department. Basically, we can manage everything internally including even hosting aswell as bespoke solutions. (I havent even started yet though!) I'd be happy to tell you my back history, you may be familiar with my previous company who were all about digital performance - they were Manchester also.

My current company are all over the UK though. Any thoughts? getting closer?
    Um, still not too sure to be honest. Is your current company have its headquarters in the UK or somewhere else?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

WHERE
    Got two gigs coming up on consecutive weekends at Parkside Hotel in Prestwich. Right next to Heaton Park. I'm playing there Sat 23rd and Sat 30th January

You and your fella feel free to pop down to either one. I take requests!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Congrats. Not having a job is stressful, and lack of comfortable, long-term employment is something that seems increasingly more lacking these past few years. I wasn't sure I had full-time employment (at least in my chosen field) for months after I graduated, although the worst unemployment story belongs to my eldest step-sister. She was unemployed for most of a year and then she finally got a perfectly-suited job for her... with a company that was ridden by scandal within months of her hiring and then laid off all of its employees. Talk about rough.

How do you all find work when you need work?
    Like all good lawyers, I signed my soul over to the devil.

what do you all do for a living?
    See above.