Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got a job!

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Boco I got a job!

So as some of you may know, I got made redundant in November from my previous graduate sales position within IT and I was devastated. Ive been on the market officially since the 4th of January, and today I got offered a graduate IT sales position for the UK's leading infrastructure provider.

I am BUZZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you all find work when you need work? what do you all do for a living?

I sell my soul for money ie sales.
    Last edited by Zeldy; 01-07-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Awesome, Zeldy! Good for you

I'm currently working as a copywriter for a small SEO company, which is great because I actually get to do some kind of writing, and most of it is in English, so not only is it at least a bit creative, I get to use my greatest asset, which is my native-like English proficiency

Hoping to get into something more interesting in the future. I'd love to do more writing, and my dream is to become a published author. I also do translations from time to time and it'd be great if I could ever do something connected to video game localization. For a starter job, I'm getting paid really well, but yeah, i guess in a couple of years I'll be searching for something better.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It's been nice having you back, catch you in another 5 years.

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations to you Zeldy.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    You can't get rid of me that easily!

although, I'm down south for training for 3 WEEKS (so long wow) so I certainly wont be on FF for awhile, damn.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

YAY! That's great!

I am an accounting clerk for a natural gas pipeline and construction company. Glamourous over here

Blog Entries

Congrats! Idk where I'd be without pet grooming.... Probably selling meth in the streets

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post

although, I'm down south for training for 3 WEEKS (so long wow) so I certainly wont be on FF for awhile, damn.
    Not that we've had a chance to be lame in Eorzea together yet.

Where are you gonna be based? Still in smelly ol' Manchester?

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post

Not that we've had a chance to be lame in Eorzea together yet.

Where are you gonna be based? Still in smelly ol' Manchester?
    I'll be on all tomorrow and tonight probs, no more interviews taking up my time anymore! and I can't wait for the wedding now on Saturday, it will be my farewell! although, ill be back on weekends xD

Yes, I'll be starting in Manchester after the 3 weeks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starlet View Post
    Congrats! Idk where I'd be without pet grooming.... Probably selling meth in the streets
    I still remember the cutie little doggie you posted to cheer me up so I think we are all glad you aren't on meth

And congrats to Zeldy, nice to see it isn't all grim up north

Good luck from your compatriot over the Pennines aka me!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Congratulations on getting a job!

Sorry to hear it's in Manchester

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Congrats! I hope you are happy and successful and your new career

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congrats Zeldy, I know how much getting put at risk of redundancy made me angry as hell so I could imagine what it must be like to be actually made redundant (I was removed from risk of redundancy but the damage was done for sure so I moved on, just on my terms which were more money, no commuting distance and a lot better environment).

Currently I check teachers out for a living. I'm not even kidding, I mean that in a very literal sense, I work in the recruitment industry essentially my role is to be HR to the candidates for the agency, this means everything from maintaining their files, ensuring they're ready for consultants to place in schools without a delay to processing their registrations by obtaining references, performing necessary background checks and so forth. This also includes me translating foreign police checks on a regular basis. I've kinda become the go-to guy for the company for this skill. I've translated most europoean languages including Bulgarian and Russian and some really odd ones such as Japanese so my company uses me as a sort of formal translator and authority on police checks (especially since I proved the quality director wrong on Italian ones).

I'm debating moving in to a sales role within the firm, recruitment can be tough and I'm uncertain as to how well I would smash it or not and I don't have the option to flit between the two roles.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Congrats Zeldy, I know how much getting put at risk of redundancy made me angry as hell so I could imagine what it must be like to be actually made redundant (I was removed from risk of redundancy but the damage was done for sure so I moved on, just on my terms which were more money, no commuting distance and a lot better environment).

Currently I check teachers out for a living. I'm not even kidding, I mean that in a very literal sense, I work in the recruitment industry essentially my role is to be HR to the candidates for the agency, this means everything from maintaining their files, ensuring they're ready for consultants to place in schools without a delay to processing their registrations by obtaining references, performing necessary background checks and so forth. This also includes me translating foreign police checks on a regular basis. I've kinda become the go-to guy for the company for this skill. I've translated most europoean languages including Bulgarian and Russian and some really odd ones such as Japanese so my company uses me as a sort of formal translator and authority on police checks (especially since I proved the quality director wrong on Italian ones).

I'm debating moving in to a sales role within the firm, recruitment can be tough and I'm uncertain as to how well I would smash it or not and I don't have the option to flit between the two roles.
    Recruitment and sales are very similar and skills are interchangeable, you'll be glad to hear. I was being shortlisted for several IT recruitment positions with my skill set from sales.

Recruitment you're selling people -- whereas I'm selling products. You have the relationship/rapport building down and the customer service element, most sales roles are entry level or training is provided.

You may not make as much money in sales, but I think that is entirely down to the company, but it's certainly what I kept getting told, but the company Ive gone with have a very nice commission structure :3

As for the redundancy, it broke my heart, literally. I didn't know it was coming, didn't know I was at risk, literally had my world turned upside down and suddenly I was on a paid-notice and unemployed. Didnt get to say my farewells or anything (as he "hadn't told anyone yet", ha). Its taken me into the New Year to get myself out of the depression and just sheer misery of it all, I loved that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Congratulations on getting a job!

Sorry to hear it's in Manchester
    I know mate. I'm after a relocation ASAP xD

Thank you to everyone for your wishes~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by starlet View Post
    I still remember the cutie little doggie you posted to cheer me up so I think we are all glad you aren't on meth

And congrats to Zeldy, nice to see it isn't all grim up north

Good luck from your compatriot over the Pennines aka me!
    I didn't say I'd be doing the meth..... Just selling. Never consume your profits kids!