Thread: Destiny vs. FFXIII Heroes

Default Destiny vs. FFXIII Heroes

So I wanted to play LR to wrap up the XIII Trilogy. I actually liked Caius and Yeul and Neel and Snow and I wanted to see how it all ended.

Then I played a few hours of the game and decided it's too much bother and I'll just watch a playthrough on YouTube.

But goddam, while i only just now watched the Snow fight, I wanted t comment n this. This was back during the Noel fight.

Lightning: I've been fighting destiny for a long time now and I'm getting good at it.

I really don't like liars. Destiny has kicked her ass the last two games and it's gonna kick her ass the end of this one since I already know the world still ends as it was fated to. Good job.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Then I played a few hours of the game and decided it's too much bother and I'll just watch a playthrough on YouTube... Destiny has kicked her ass the last two games and it's gonna kick her ass the end of this one since I already know the world still ends as it was fated to. Good job.
    She never said she was winning against destiny. And to be honest, I'd call the battle in FFXIII a success. They saved the world (albeit with a deus ex machina assist from Fang and Vanille) and stopped the rule of the Cocoon Fal'cie.

Granted, FFXIII-2 didn't exactly go to plan, but had Lightning/Serah/Noel had done nothing whatsoever, Caius probably would have done worse. It's hardly a victory though, true.

Also, you don't even know if the world ending is a victory or a 'kicking in the ass'. I'd watch the playthrough first before snapping to any judgements about the ending: you haven't even seen it!

But remember, XIII-2 establishes that it was Etro who saved them at the endof XIII. The party completed their Focus when they killed Orphan and were turned to crystal but then Etro stepped in, saved them and only then did Fang and Vanille save everyone. So Lightning's role in this is just doing exactly what the Cocoon fal'Cie wanted.

And sorry, I know I'm getting ahead of myself. The line just bugs me.

And I'm also sorry I'm not actually beating the game. I just don't understand why,after two games, they thought they had to reinvent the wheel. I really preferred the old battle system.

Articles
    Blog Entries

But remember, XIII-2 establishes that it was Etro who saved them at the endof XIII. The party completed their Focus when they killed Orphan and were turned to crystal but then Etro stepped in, saved them and only then did Fang and Vanille save everyone. So Lightning's role in this is just doing exactly what the Cocoon fal'Cie wanted.
    Huh, I actually, kinda, forgot about that.

Still, give the group some credit, they deserved some deus ex machina.

And sorry, I know I'm getting ahead of myself. The line just bugs me.

And I'm also sorry I'm not actually beating the game. I just don't understand why,after two games, they thought they had to reinvent the wheel. I really preferred the old battle system.
    Stop apologising! You haven't done anything wrong. Factual or not, it is a pretty neat line. The Lightning Returns story is pretty good, so played or viewed on screen, you should go enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Stop apologising! You haven't done anything wrong. Factual or not, it is a pretty neat line. The Lightning Returns story is pretty good, so played or viewed on screen, you should go enjoy it.
    I just got passed the actual fight with Snow. I've loved Snow and Troy Baker as his VA ever since I first played XIII about 4 years ago now. But man, he really outdid himself here capturing poor Snow's agony and despair.

I also see why everyone I met loves Lumina. She's an adorable troll.

I wish we had seen more of "the Leaders Trio" though. Hope, Snow and Noel teaming up to try and save the world after XIII-2? That sounds pretty frickin' awesome as these are three of my favorite characters. What is it with Snow going on epic adventures we never see but are told about?

But yeah, after XIII-2, I really wanted to see what happened to those three + Caius and Yeul. No Caius yet where I'm at but I know he's in this game. Also apparently big plot reveals about Yeul.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I just got passed the actual fight with Snow. I've loved Snow and Troy Baker as his VA ever since I first played XIII about 4 years ago now. But man, he really outdid himself here capturing poor Snow's agony and despair.

I also see why everyone I met loves Lumina. She's an adorable troll.

I wish we had seen more of "the Leaders Trio" though. Hope, Snow and Noel teaming up to try and save the world after XIII-2? That sounds pretty frickin' awesome as these are three of my favorite characters. What is it with Snow going on epic adventures we never see but are told about?

But yeah, after XIII-2, I really wanted to see what happened to those three + Caius and Yeul. No Caius yet where I'm at but I know he's in this game. Also apparently big plot reveals about Yeul.
    If I do have a complaint about the game, I do wish Snow's backstory was expanded upon more. Much is untold, that is for certain. I also dislike how they reduced Hope's role from brave scientific pioneer back to his unassuming, slightly dull teenage self. I preferred XIII-2 Hope.

I forgot to mention I've seen Fang. She says the Order are evil. I'm shocked, really. Also I am like Hope in wondering why Big B woke her and Vanille up only to drive Vanille crazy. Poor Vanille, She might be the #1 Woobie of this series. She just can't catch a break.

So the murals in LR and Lightning and Fang mention the whole thing about how Lindzei took Etro's blood and made human beings. Still think that's some dumb retcon because it's mentioned nowhere in XIII-2 or the official video Square released to explain the FNC Cosmology. Maybe this is how they were getting around the inconsistency in XIII where they said fal'Cie and Humans were created by the same being yet in XIII-2 they said Etro made humans. I guess I gotta give them points for fixing their mistake but they made the mistake in the first place for no good reason so I dunno.

Between LR and XIII, how many times do you think somebody said "we're pawns of the gods/fate/destiny but we won't let ourselves be pawns anymore!" It's a whole lot is all I know. I don't think it was quite as bad in XIII-2. It was kind of there but our heroes were actively trying to fix the natural order, not subvert it. Also that game presented its primary god as a force of good.

....Chocolina is the Frocobo?

I'm not sure what to make of Lumina after this. She honestly saved not only Dahj but Sazh as well. She even seemed mildly concerned about them... That's how it sounded to me. I figured she was some sort of Chaotic Evil bitch but now I'm all lost.

Going to the Temple of the Goddess... is it finally Caius Time?

"They" won't let Caius die? Yeul is connected with the chaos keeping Caius alive? Hm...something fishy going on here. There was also a comment on YT I accidentally stumbled upon that said Yeul tortured Caius... Don't make her evil out of nowhere game. I'm warning you.

Um, what? Yeul gave him the power of chaos and immortality? No game, it was Etro. I remember this specifically. Actually it was kind of inconsistent even in XIII-2 about whether the Heart was unique to Caius or not. In any event, it WAS NOT Yeul who did it.

Lightning you're contradicting the last game. All the Yeuls had the same soul according to Caius. Now you're saying they all had different souls and these souls merged into a mega soul of despair and regret and contradiction.

So Etro doomed the world by making Yeul reincarnate. Jesus Christ, her list of failures is unceasing.

I mean, the super chaos unseen chaos or whatever WAS mentioned in XIII-2. I think one of the Datalogs the Yeuls gave you when it was just Serah in the Void Beyond. Those are the main Datalogs I read and I think they did mention a power that was kept at bay or something. I remember speculating when I played XIII-2 that it was Bhunivelze. A great power kept locked away or else all would end and that seemed to fit what I knew of "God." But it was the Yeuls all along...I dunno how I feel about that.

Stop retconning trout goddammit. Lightning was called to Valhalla by Etro, not because of Yeul's Unseen Chaos.

This game does not handle being nonlinear very well. Lightning has already talked to Fang and the thing was taken by the Order and Light knows all about Vanille hearing dead people and what she wants to do. That is not reflected at all in the cutscene I'm watching.

I really hope the stilted, awkward way Hope talks is intentional and intended to foreshadow something being off. It really bugs me when him and Light talk as it's all so lifeless.

So Lumina was Lil' Lightning all along? That is pretty neat.

And so Caius can now just extricate the one Yeul and give her to Noel. Sure, why not. The world is unmade, who cares if things make sense.

Bhunivelze was kinda lame. Also that whole Pulse and Lindzei thing was ridiculously stupid and forced. I still say Lindzei should have been the Big Bad. He was the Bigger Bad in XIII. Big B didn't even smurfing exist back then.

But whatever. It goes Caius > Barthandelus >>>>>> Bhunivelze.

So I guess this makes our heroes 2-1 vs. Destiny? They saved all the souls, including the already dead ones. The world still ended though so I'm not sure if I'm willing to say they won.

I also still maintain that Snow, Noel and Hope try to save the world is a better idea for a game than this. And 700 AF is a lot more depressing and atmospheric than the 13th Day. The game really couldn't hammer home the despair of the impending end of the world.

At the end, this has helped me realize something. XIII-2 is by far my favorite game in the trilogy. XIII had the better story line certainly but it really shot itself in the foot a lot of the times so that hurts it and knocks it out of first place. The fal'Cie concept was fantastic but not used properly. And our heroes blindly bumbling along really sucks. The end of XIII-2 is honestly the most sensible ending of all three games. There were honestly no real surprises of DEX's at all. Everything that happened was foreshadowed and made sense within the context of the game.

Noel, Serah and Mog were also really great together. Not better than the entire XIII cast of course but how often did our XIII heroes get time to interact and hang out with each other? Not smurfing often enough. Again it's a case of XIII having a better foundation but smurfing it all up.

Honestly, I think it's the fact XIII-2 is the most consistent that makes me like it. Oh, the tone is absolutely schizophrenic, no doubt XIII is better there. I'm just talking about how things are always more or less the same. With XIII you have your party broken up for a huge chunk of the game and that is the "Character Development" part of XIII. It's also the best part. But then they all finally are united and end up on Pulse and that starts the "Plot" part of XIII, which blows. XIII did plot and character development both at the same time.

In conclusion

I thought this was just a cool wallpaper or something someone made but now I know it';s an actual scr;eenshot of the XIII-3's ending. It's nice to know. I'd still like it as a desktop background, though. I already have a Caius and Yeul wallpaper but I'd like this one more.

Caius x Yeul 4 Ever.