Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Horror Movie

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ah yeah, The Babadook! I had a lot of fun watching that one with you, Shorty. xD I like how it's like...both terrifying but also really, really deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    I have no idea, I've never been much of a horror fan.
    I wasn't until my ex- boyfriends plonked me in front of a horror flick (with their strong arms and all...)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Psycho, Vertigo, A Tale of Two Sister, Ju-on, Alien, Evil Dead series, and In the Mouth of Madness. None of these movies are necessarily scary but they have really good stories that make you think or good effects.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

The Thing with Kurt Russell for me. It's the only one I can still watch from any point and thoroughly enjoy it. I was big into horror when I was young and watched everything I could plenty of times. I could quote some of the dumbest Halloween and Friday the 13th moments right now lol. But I won't. There are some great horror films that I admire and are terrifying, but nothing made my skin crawl or felt more like a great survival adventure than The Thing. 10/10 two thumbs up

More on the list would include:

Jaws, Alien, Scream (while not Oscar-worthy, I don't care, scared the crap out of me when I was young), Haunting, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead,....there's more, just can't put them together right now.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

The Japanese version of One Missed Call

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The Shining, The Thing and The Birds. For more modern horror, I really enjoyed the feeling of dread Oculus created and if you can believe it I only watched the Saw movies for the first time at Halloween last year. The series went downhill but the first one really captured my imagination.

As a kid my favourites were the 90's teen slasher flicks of the day that haven't aged well as pieces of horror but are still good fun.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    The Shining
    I rewatched The Shining a few months ago and realized that I only care about the last forty minutes of it. Could do without the other hour forty, but the last bit is intense enough to make it great.

edit: Is High Tension considered horror? Because that is on my list, too.
    Last edited by Shorty; 01-12-2016 at 11:42 PM.

I'm not really much of a horror fan, and I don't watch it that much. A lot of the time, I just can't take them seriously. I was laughing all the way through Insidious, and Paranormal Activity was just hilariously bad. The spoofs did it better, and they were a lot more entertaining.

But, I did really like The Babadook. Another one I saw this year that you might call horror was a sci-fi thriller called Pandorum.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I saw Pandorum. I wanted to like it, but I did not. I can't take Dennis Quaid seriously. I did think the twist was cool but it was (SPOILER)too Planet of the Apes. You can't do that with sci fi anymore. It's against the rules.

Best horror film " House on haunted hill"
    Worst horror film " Insidious 1 and 2 " ( boring for me, I wasn't even spooked )

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Worst horror film " Insidious 1 and 2 " ( boring for me, I wasn't even spooked )
    Do you mean the 1959 one with Vincent Price? If you, you are great! If not, you're still great, but I choose the 1959 one.

Blog Entries

I've seen The Shining and the unsettling Delores Claibourne on my own terms. At one point in my life I could watch anything Stephen King based films had to offer, except for It, then he says to me "come on watch it" so I did and realised I'd been scared of something I'd built up in my head. He did the same for me with The Exorcist

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Do you mean the 1959 one with Vincent Price? If you, you are great! If not, you're still great, but I choose the 1959 one.
    Hmmm, I don't think I've seen the 1959 one, I will have to then! I meant the 1999 one that stars Ali Larter.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    edit: Is High Tension considered horror? Because that is on my list, too.
    I've actually been really wanting to rewatch High Tension lately. It's definitely one of my favorites even though I've only had the chance to see it once. Few films had made me feel as tense as this one throughout, so the title is pretty fitting too!

Suspiria is definitely one of my favorites as well. I could definitely see why others wouldn't like it, but I think the movie has a really interesting aesthetic throughout. The dance school actually looks pretty similar to a location I used to have nightmares about as a kid too, and everything about the way characters talk and act as well as the set design just makes everything feel very dreamlike and unsettling to me.

It's hard to decide on all of my favorites as I've enjoyed pretty much all of the horror movies I've watched (which is helped by the fact that I had a friend with very similar horror tastes suggesting me movies). The Shining, The Thing, Halloween 1 and 2, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Innkeepers, Evil Dead, Alien, Night of the Living Dead, Zombi, American Werewolf in London... there's too many to list and I like all of them for different reasons. I still haven't found a movie that particularly scares me though... and I'd love to do that someday.

I must say my favorites are probably the Universal classic monster movies just because they are a ton of fun. They aren't really scary, but I'm always in the mood to watch them. I really need to get my hands on those someday.