Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Horror Movie

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Night of the Living Dead is not only my favorite horror film but it's one of the most important films to date. It's shaped the horror culture in so many ways. If Nosferatu brought on the vampire movement you can be damn well sure Night of the Living Dead brought on the zombie movement. The subtext of racism and human decay have a lasting imprint and it's one that's important to me. I think the one that's probably the most significant is The Exorcist though but it's never been my cup of tea. I also really enjoy almost anything adapted originally from Stephen King: Thinner, The Shining, The Mist, etc. Great films, even though The Shining was not a direct adaptation of The Shining as it was originally written.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Thing is a good call too Omni-Odin! Really good mix of psychological and graphic horror.

Watched The Babadook last night. I really enjoyed it! It's unusual for a horror film not to have a single person die in it.

Unfortunately, both of these films should be condemned as no movie is forgiven for killing a dog. I'm also looking at you I am Legend

Ring
    Event Horizon - Edge of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Odin View Post
    The Thing with Kurt Russell for me. It's the only one I can still watch from any point and thoroughly enjoy it. I was big into horror when I was young and watched everything I could plenty of times. I could quote some of the dumbest Halloween and Friday the 13th moments right now lol. But I won't. There are some great horror films that I admire and are terrifying, but nothing made my skin crawl or felt more like a great survival adventure than The Thing. 10/10 two thumbs up
    This. John Carpenter's 1982 "The Thing" is undoubtedly one of my two favorite horror films of all time. Even if you take the whole shapeshifting Alien out of it ( which you shouldn't, its mesmerizing ) the setting of Antarctica is so isolated and unsettling in itself.

My other favorite is of course Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining". Truly a movie that fills you with dread and really gets your mind going.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm really not into horror, I'm afraid. This sounds rather obvious and wussy, but I'm too scared and I can't say I'm ever in the mood to be scared.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I'm really not into horror, I'm afraid. This sounds rather obvious and wussy, but I'm too scared and I can't say I'm ever in the mood to be scared.
    BOO!!!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Horror isn't really my genre. Too squirmish, though I managed to sit through Alien all right. I didn't really consider it horror while watching it for some reason, But things like The Ring or The Grudge are things I want nothing to do with. Which is weird because I played plenty of horror games without much trouble.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

'The Blair Witch Project' is by far the best horror movie I've seen. Does comedy horror count? I'll throw Shawn of the Dead in there as well.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I enjoyed the Insidious series, Sinister was also quite good. I like a lot of horror movies, The Conjuring was great

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    'The Blair Witch Project' is by far the best horror movie I've seen. Does comedy horror count? I'll throw Shawn of the Dead in there as well.
    You might be the first person I've known to actually like Blair Witch. It bored the hell out of me.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like Blair Witch. The hand-held filming was a ground-breaking characteristic for the genre when it was first released. It scared the trout out of me when I saw it for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Yes! Blair Witch! I watched Blair Witch 2 and it was not even scary.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Blair Witch was great for me. i watched it super late at night and then went on a walk with my college roommates in the woods right afterwards. It made everything just that much more creepy about the movie I think. My roommates kept freaking out because they thought they heard noises that sounded like the Blair Witch and we had some other creepy encounter stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I used to live next to a massive pine forest that we would go camping in all the time when I watched Blair Witch. That, combined with how young I was, really made that film scary for me. I haven't watched it recently though, dunno if it would still scare me.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The found footage style was definitely original at the time, it just didn't do anything for me. Pretty much nothing actually happens. Even my sister was bored when she saw it and she was 8 or 9 at the time and we played in the woods all the time. Luckily that style has been done a lot better since.