Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: The Party

  1. #31
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,305
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post

    Fun fact though, I have an appointment with my sociology professor next week and one of the things we will discuss is how much people would bond or not bond if they found themselves in this sort of situation

    Sociology for life! Woo, sociology!

    But no, there's probably some group/social psychology thrown in there as well.


  2. #32
    Omni-Odin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    460

    FFXIV Character

    Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

    Default

    I'm only going to tackle the talking during fights bit. Less is more, absolutely. However, the complete silence during fights is most definitely not fitting to the party as many are saying.

    You don't have to be so bubbly or cute during fights, but in XII, Basch is a military man. You're telling me he wouldn't try to direct anyone in a fight. Fran and Balthier are super tight and fight together. They don't have strategies or anything to discuss in battle? Irl, when in battle, you communicate your strategy and execute. So complete silence is just eery.

    Story wise, it took me a second playthrough of running location to location to feel like the story and character was continuous. Game was so open, I did so much stuff I couldn't even remember what I was doing at the next location because I was doing so many side quests in between. (A problem I've found in a lot of modern games - looking at you Elder scrolls)

    Still, I do love this game and it's characters. It continues to move left on my signature every year, so I must like it lol.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

    I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

    FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

  3. #33
    Pinkasaurus Rex Cid's Knight Pumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Falling on your head
    Posts
    16,876
    Articles
    119
    Blog Entries
    133

    FFXIV Character

    Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    But no, there's probably some group/social psychology thrown in there as well.
    There definitely is but I don't have psychology this semester so a psych instructor is less accessible to me :P Really though I just had a few sociology discussions I wanted to have with her so I'll be asking about this aspect as well.

    I do miss my psych prof though so I may stop by and say hi and ask her about this as well. I'm inclined to believe people would bond more easily in situations like this, but idk

  4. #34
    Radical Dreamer Cid's Knight Fynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tower of the Swallow
    Posts
    16,781
    Articles
    56
    Blog Entries
    16

    FFXIV Character

    A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Odin View Post
    I'm only going to tackle the talking during fights bit. Less is more, absolutely. However, the complete silence during fights is most definitely not fitting to the party as many are saying.

    You don't have to be so bubbly or cute during fights, but in XII, Basch is a military man. You're telling me he wouldn't try to direct anyone in a fight. Fran and Balthier are super tight and fight together. They don't have strategies or anything to discuss in battle? Irl, when in battle, you communicate your strategy and execute. So complete silence is just eery.

    Story wise, it took me a second playthrough of running location to location to feel like the story and character was continuous. Game was so open, I did so much stuff I couldn't even remember what I was doing at the next location because I was doing so many side quests in between. (A problem I've found in a lot of modern games - looking at you Elder scrolls)

    Still, I do love this game and it's characters. It continues to move left on my signature every year, so I must like it lol.
    I'll reiterate - Fran and Balthier would not talk during battle because it doesn't fit their relationship dynamic. After so many years of treasure hunting together, they probably communicate battle strategies solely through body language. And Basch isn't there to instruct people - he's protecting Ashe

  5. #35
    Omni-Odin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    460

    FFXIV Character

    Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

    Default

    We're going to disagree on this and that's fine. But non communication during battle with people you hardly know would wipe you, making them not really a great party to me. I wasn't goin after what you said Fynn, didn't even read it. Just responding to the OP.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

    I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

    FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

  6. #36
    Radical Dreamer Cid's Knight Fynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tower of the Swallow
    Posts
    16,781
    Articles
    56
    Blog Entries
    16

    FFXIV Character

    A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Hey, don't you worry I didn't take anything you said personally at all.

    I guess sometimes I just come across as THAT person sometimes. Someone who just takes everything too seriously.

    But I digress

  7. #37
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,305
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    I definitely see the benefits of a 'less is more' approach to character development. I definitely think characters talking too much would be a detriment, and in such a serious story, it could be jarring to hear characters engage in light conversation constantly. But then, the near lack of conversation whatsoever is equally jarring, at least to me.


  8. #38

    Default

    For this "serious story" we had "HEY BUCKETHEAD! "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH!" "I'm the leading man, who else?" and oodles more comedy.

    Balthier's dialogue for half the game consists of pithy one-liners. Just have him bounce them off Fran during battle. Or bounce them off someone else. He's not used to being with anyone else. Have someone who won't put up with his smart talk, like Ashe.

  9. #39
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,305
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    For this "serious story" we had "HEY BUCKETHEAD! "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH!"
    Comedy or cringe? You decide.


  10. #40
    Pinkasaurus Rex Cid's Knight Pumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Falling on your head
    Posts
    16,876
    Articles
    119
    Blog Entries
    133

    FFXIV Character

    Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)

    Default

    I mean I was just wondering why anyone was buying that the 12 year-old paint-on ab kid was THE notorious Basch, but I had no problem with the scene other than that

  11. #41

  12. #42
    Pinkasaurus Rex Cid's Knight Pumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Falling on your head
    Posts
    16,876
    Articles
    119
    Blog Entries
    133

    FFXIV Character

    Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)

    Default

    nuh uh i asked them and they told me they thought it was him okay

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •