• Fairy

1 5.88%
  • Poison

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Pokemon Type

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I picked water as Squirle was my first ever Pokemon I played with. However Physic came second.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx
    Fairy, although I quite like Psychic as well.
    I haven't played Gen 6 yet, how is the Fairy-Type? I know they've retconned certain pokemon like Clefairy and Mr. Mime for some reason into Fairies.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Yeah, Ice has always been given the short straw. Defensively, ice is one of the worst types, resisting only itself and carrying weaknesses to common types. Having said that, ice type moves are used often, due to hitting dragon types hard.

Ice/Ground dual types work well as Ground covers many weaknesses.

If anything, bug types are spurned more. Bug types are squishy and have weaknesses to fire, flying and rock (all common types). Despite resisting Ground, many Ground types use Rock anyway, which spoils that somewhat. Bug types are also of limited use offensively, with low overall statistics which hamper their ability to do anything meaningful.

My favourite type is hard to choose. I like Electric types, but I also like Grass, Flying and Ghost types. Overall, I'd probably go for Flying. Some of my favourite Pokemons are the flying types that you encounter early on in the game: Staraptor, Pidgeot, etc.
    Yeah, bugs are worse, but I just don't care about them.
    Basically, they realized how terrible they made the Psychic type, but, rather than fix it, they decided to create an all new type to tack on to the worthless Psychic types instead.

Yes, Psychic Types were broken in Gen 1. But they didn't need another weakness. Once the "immune to Ghost" thing was fixed, they were balanced, defensively. It's not the Psychic Type's fault that there were only three Bug moves in Gen 1, and only two Ghost moves. With the addition of Megahorn and Shadow Ball, Psychics lost a lot of their previous bulk.

Adding in Dark Type was just stupid. Psychic needed a few more things to resist it, yes. But it only hits two types super-effectively (neither common until they decided to turn Fighting Type into gods in Gen 2 by making them super effective against both the new Types for no reason [why does Fighting beat Steel, exactly? Go punch an I-Beam and get back to me]), it did not need something immune to it.

Basically, Gen 2 screwed things up royally, and Gen 6 tried to fix that by removing some of Steel's less sensible resistances (but it still resists Psychic because..?), adding in something else to counter to broken Fighting and Dark Types that they created in Gen 2, and then tacking that Typing onto all the worthless Psychic Types from previous generations.

FYI, Psychic is my favorite Type, and yet in my opinion, it's currently one of the worst types in the game. There are a lot of great Psychic Pokemon with fantastic movesets, but the Type itself is garbage.

Fighting is my least favorite Type, and I wish to heck they would nerf it more, because it is ridiculously overpowered.
    Probably because of strongmen that can bend metal. I have to disagree a lot. I don't think Psychic is one of the worst at all, but one of the best. I can't pin a best down though. Were they immune to Ghost attacks in Gen 1? I don't remember that and recall in the show Ash specifically getting a Haunter to beat Sabrina.

Blog Entries

Psychic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

While we're on the topic of Pokemon types, I've found a theme for the thread!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    Squirtle was my first ever Pokemon I played with.
    Pic 4.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Just leave the gay jokes to me, m'kay queen?

*flips hair* bitch, first of all

The more I think about it, the more I think Bug is my #3 type. Yeah, they were super weak in gen 1, but now they have all those cool moves to handle psychic types that are very popular. And Volcarona's really cool. Did I say that already? It's worth saying again. All hail sun moth god!

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Just leave the gay jokes to me, m'kay queen?

*flips hair* bitch, first of all

The more I think about it, the more I think Bug is my #3 type. Yeah, they were super weak in gen 1, but now they have all those cool moves to handle psychic types that are very popular. And Volcarona's really cool. Did I say that already? It's worth saying again. All hail sun moth god!
    pkHVTIi.jpg

As I've said, Talonflame is one of my all-time faves, largely because it combines two of my favourite types, Fire and Flying. Seeing as we're doing pictures now, here's a pic of it.

That bird is on fire!... Fire... fire...
    talonflame.jpg
    Last edited by Mr. Carnelian; 01-18-2016 at 01:23 PM.

My absolutest favoritest Pokeymanz in the world is Smoochum.

So I went with Psychic.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Psychic was unstoppable in the original broken games and although they have come back down to earth since that time I still always try to have at least one on my team. Crunch and other Dark moves tear them apart and are a pretty common move but I don't care.

Electric is also a great type which usually has high speed and only one weakness. Unfortunately, Earthquake is one of the most common powerful moves that almost any big pokemon can learn. But it is fairly obvious to see it coming so just switch to a flying type at that point and your opponent just wasted a turn.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

The more I think about it, the more I think Bug is my #3 type. Yeah, they were super weak in gen 1, but now they have all those cool moves to handle psychic types that are very popular.
    Makes sense. I remember reading somewhere that bugs were meant to be strong against psychics at the beginning, but something went wrong somewhere. I could be mistaken, though.

I don't even remember ghosts being that well against them despite that plot point in the anime.

Volcarona and Talonflame's designs look awesome. Why do so many people from my generation hate the newer Pokemon again?

Hmm... probably normal to be honest. Meowth is my all time favourite and Chansey, Snorlax, Exploud, Lickitung are all awesome pokémon.

Also, muffuggin DUNSPARCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx
    Fairy, although I quite like Psychic as well.
    I haven't played Gen 6 yet, how is the Fairy-Type? I know they've retconned certain pokemon like Clefairy and Mr. Mime for some reason into Fairies.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Yeah, Ice has always been given the short straw. Defensively, ice is one of the worst types, resisting only itself and carrying weaknesses to common types. Having said that, ice type moves are used often, due to hitting dragon types hard.

Ice/Ground dual types work well as Ground covers many weaknesses.

If anything, bug types are spurned more. Bug types are squishy and have weaknesses to fire, flying and rock (all common types). Despite resisting Ground, many Ground types use Rock anyway, which spoils that somewhat. Bug types are also of limited use offensively, with low overall statistics which hamper their ability to do anything meaningful.

My favourite type is hard to choose. I like Electric types, but I also like Grass, Flying and Ghost types. Overall, I'd probably go for Flying. Some of my favourite Pokemons are the flying types that you encounter early on in the game: Staraptor, Pidgeot, etc.
    Yeah, bugs are worse, but I just don't care about them.
    Basically, they realized how terrible they made the Psychic type, but, rather than fix it, they decided to create an all new type to tack on to the worthless Psychic types instead.

Yes, Psychic Types were broken in Gen 1. But they didn't need another weakness. Once the "immune to Ghost" thing was fixed, they were balanced, defensively. It's not the Psychic Type's fault that there were only three Bug moves in Gen 1, and only two Ghost moves. With the addition of Megahorn and Shadow Ball, Psychics lost a lot of their previous bulk.

Adding in Dark Type was just stupid. Psychic needed a few more things to resist it, yes. But it only hits two types super-effectively (neither common until they decided to turn Fighting Type into gods in Gen 2 by making them super effective against both the new Types for no reason [why does Fighting beat Steel, exactly? Go punch an I-Beam and get back to me]), it did not need something immune to it.

Basically, Gen 2 screwed things up royally, and Gen 6 tried to fix that by removing some of Steel's less sensible resistances (but it still resists Psychic because..?), adding in something else to counter to broken Fighting and Dark Types that they created in Gen 2, and then tacking that Typing onto all the worthless Psychic Types from previous generations.

FYI, Psychic is my favorite Type, and yet in my opinion, it's currently one of the worst types in the game. There are a lot of great Psychic Pokemon with fantastic movesets, but the Type itself is garbage.

Fighting is my least favorite Type, and I wish to heck they would nerf it more, because it is ridiculously overpowered.
    Probably because of strongmen that can bend metal. I have to disagree a lot. I don't think Psychic is one of the worst at all, but one of the best. I can't pin a best down though. Were they immune to Ghost attacks in Gen 1? I don't remember that and recall in the show Ash specifically getting a Haunter to beat Sabrina.
    As far as we can tell, Psychics were supposed to be weak to Ghost, but due to a programming error, they were immune instead. However, the only way to know this was to use Lick. Night Shade, being a set-damage move, ignored Types completely in Gen 1.

Which, oh, another problem. Even had Ghost been super-effective against Psychic, that would have only added Lick to its list of weaknesses.

But, no, the Psychic type is terrible. A lot of Psychic Pokemon are great, because they tend to have quite diverse movepools and pretty good stat distribution. But they only hit two Types super-effectively (Fairy has completely replaced it for killing Fighting Types, which was its biggest strength), and are walled by the most common Types in the game. Dark types are everywhere, Bug is way more common than it used to be, and Ghosts got a boost to usability with Psychic no longer resisting them, which just makes Psychic worse.

Really, replace your Psychic types with Fairies (if GameFreak didn't already do it for you, like they did with Gardevoir), and you will find yourself with a vastly better Typing that does what Psychic did, but better and without being walled by the first Dark Type to step on the field.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post

The more I think about it, the more I think Bug is my #3 type. Yeah, they were super weak in gen 1, but now they have all those cool moves to handle psychic types that are very popular.
    Makes sense. I remember reading somewhere that bugs were meant to be strong against psychics at the beginning, but something went wrong somewhere. I could be mistaken, though.

I don't even remember ghosts being that well against them despite that plot point in the anime.

Volcarona and Talonflame's designs look awesome. Why do so many people from my generation hate the newer Pokemon again?
    It was actually Ghosts. As sky mentioned, instead of being weak to ghost moves, they were immune.

Bugs just didn't have good offensive moves for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post

It was actually Ghosts. As sky mentioned, instead of being weak to ghost moves, they were immune.

Bugs just didn't have good offensive moves for a long time.
    Leech Life. Pin Missile. Twineedle.

Gen 1 Bug Type Attacking moves.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ice and Water because ice and water