Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP ME! (Horror Games)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    It's difficult to say whether I enjoy horror games or not. I loved the original Resident Evil and have played it countless times. I've only ever finished it once though. My thought process is "Phew! I've just got to a safe room with a bed, a chest and a typewriter. I'll just save and take a break for a little bit." Then I never reboot the game because I don't want to leave that room.
    People scoff at the idea of the old RE being scary now, but back then it was horrifying (the music really helped set the tone as well as the atmosphere). A friend and I were kids when it first came out and could hardly play the game because of how scary it was going into each new room. Even after my brother let me played a save he had where he assured me all the monsters have been dealt with in the mansion, I was still too scared to go anywhere.

The worst part of the original RE for me was the room where you found Forest and the crows attack you.

Banned

Yes. Swearing helps. Just tell that monster to go fk itself before u blow its head off. That is... if ur given a firearm let alone any sort of weapon to defend urself with.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I understand the point is to be scared, it's why I watch horror movies even though I do get VERY scared, but at what point is it too much?

As I mentioned, I watched the LP to a certain point and then going in to part 3 I had tears just because I had no idea what was going to happen. Then something very scary happened and I panicked and cried a lot and had to turn it off. Does that mean it's too much for me? Should I power through it anyway? Should I watch the LP chapters first to make it easier? Take a lot of breaks?

This isn't me arguing with what you guys are saying, I'm just looking for suggestions and trying to find out what a normal amount of fear is vs when I should just say "this isn't for me."

It also doesn't help that the game has auto-saving and ONLY auto-saving, so if I panic at a quick time event well... I'm just screwed. I can't reload and try again either, you know?

And thank you for the tips everyone, it is very helpful!
    How scared have you guys gotten before while playing these games?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Play them with Sharky.

Seriously, I was terrified of horror games before I got into Silent Hill. So Ania and I played Silent Hill together every year for four Halloweens. The first game felt the scariest, even though it probably wasn't objectively the scariest, but it was our first.

it's just something you get used to. If you do feel too overwhelmed, though, it might be best not to push yourselves, since games are supposed to be about fun. I got through Silent Hill because Ania was with me (and I didn't wanna look TOO lame) and I was genuinely curious about the story. So later, when I played the other three, I could just appreciate the story because I'd grown a bit immune. Also, watching Pewds or Markiplier play horror games and make a funny show out of it helped build some distance too.

And yeah, wolf's right. Sweating helps too.

In the end, remember you are in a safe space. this is all a fantasy and none of it is real. And you'll learn to deal with scary situations thanks to this later.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh trust me, I haven't even thought about playing this game alone xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Then get MORE people involved Hell, get the cats involved even. The more surrounded by people you are, the easier it is to distance yourself.

Also, there are different types of horror. What exactly is so unbearable in the game you're playing? I haven't played it so I wouldn't know. i know that a reliance on gore and just big monsters being scary does nothing for me aside from making me feel nauseous, and I need that particular psychological brand of horror to feel that pleasant shiver down my spine.

Only two games have made me feel on edge or frightened. Dino Crisis was one of them back when I was a kid, if I was about to be killed I used to have to pause the game out of fright!

More recently, Alien: Isolation was excellent for putting me on edge, I would jump when receiving a text during playing. Like Psy said, you get used to it, but until then: embrace it as much as you can!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

With Until Dawn - if you fail QTEs, I am not terribly sure if the game ends or if it just rolls with the punches. I don't think there is a game over screen tbh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think so. I think there's just a possibility of a character dying during some of the QTE's if you fail and the game goes on without them

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I don't think so. I think there's just a possibility of a character dying during some of the QTE's if you fail and the game goes on without them
    Sort of like with Heavy Rain, except with more gruesome death and violence.

Really, it's the thought of losing my characters that gets me. I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but that's the most scary a game I could play willingly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I have decided to continue watching the LP (on my computer with the music low and terrible pop music overlaping to make it less scary) so I will be more prepared when I play

So some spoilery stuff
    (SPOILER)
    In my game I was pretty nice to Jess because I like her and she got all underweary and got abducted. In their LP they had a lower compatibility so she gets to stay fully dressed while being abducted in to the cold AND OH MY GOSH HER SITUATION IS SO MUCH WORSE NOW BECAUSE SHE LIKED ME

Darn my sexy charm

It is neato how your choices do affect things like that

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Yeah Until Dawn is pretty neat like that. I wasn't nice enough, myself. x}

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I understand the point is to be scared, it's why I watch horror movies even though I do get VERY scared, but at what point is it too much?

As I mentioned, I watched the LP to a certain point and then going in to part 3 I had tears just because I had no idea what was going to happen. Then something very scary happened and I panicked and cried a lot and had to turn it off. Does that mean it's too much for me? Should I power through it anyway? Should I watch the LP chapters first to make it easier? Take a lot of breaks?

This isn't me arguing with what you guys are saying, I'm just looking for suggestions and trying to find out what a normal amount of fear is vs when I should just say "this isn't for me."

It also doesn't help that the game has auto-saving and ONLY auto-saving, so if I panic at a quick time event well... I'm just screwed. I can't reload and try again either, you know?

And thank you for the tips everyone, it is very helpful!
    How scared have you guys gotten before while playing these games?
    If you're so scared you literally can't hold your controller, it might be that you're just not cut out for these types of games.

I WISH I still got scared from games. Sure, when I've played a new horror game in the past, there's an initial stage of being scared, but it wears off pretty quickly.

It's probably too late now, but Until Dawn may not have been the best choice to start with xD It was a very well crafted homage to horror both in video game form and movie form. I loved the thrill, but my girlfriend couldn't handle watching me play for more than an hour or so. Which annoyed the crap out of me, because I kept getting into it and having to stop. But also it was really amusing because it was so effective. It's frequently intense even when it's not being scary. And having all the characters' lives depend on your ability to hold your cool and act quickly in tight situations makes it even more nerve wracking

I wish you luck. But at this point I think soldiering on is the only option. The game does what it does pretty darn well, and got a lot of justified praise for it. But believe me, it's just as fun on a second playthrough, and because of the revelations, it's not nearly as intense, even if you choose all the alternative choices, or figure out what the "best" choices are. It becomes more of just an adventure game once you're through it once

After watching me play through, my girlfriend has played through twice. Once on her own, and once with her dad. And she couldn't handle the first playthrough. She's also a fan of Fatal Frame and Resident Evil and stuff. So she wasn't even a horror rookie. So don't feel bad that the game gets to you. It honestly kinda got to me, but that's exactly what I wanted, and I loved it :3

Articles
    Blog Entries

I watched the beginning part of it on YouTube and it didn't look that scary to me, maybe it gets worse the further into it you get.

Amnesia was probably the worst for me. I haven't even gotten to the first monster yet, and already I was freaking out and having to stop the game during the opening segments. I paused a lot during the first and third Silent Hill games, too.

And Nemesis! Smurf that guy He manages to get me every single time. Usually I can run past this one room in the police station where you meet the cop in RE2 without a single run in. Last time I played the game he appeared in that room and I yelled so loud my dad came in to see what I was screaming about.

If you ever play that game and he appears, pay attention to the music. It'll change, and as long as it's on that beat that means he's still in the area and can show up pretty much anywhere, outside of safe rooms of course. I think. I never stayed in one long enough to chance it.