Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default HELP ME! (Horror Games)

So I have been trying for a while now to expand my gaming repertoire, which means playing games I normally wouldn't. So today I started a horror game. I get TERRIFIED. I picked Until Dawn because I've seen a bit of an LP and I've heard positive things about it. Few other reasons.

So I watched up to the end of episode 2 of the LP, which is close to where I am now. And even though I know what's going to happen, I am still very scared and worried I won't be able to finish it when it gets going.

What are some tips you have for when you get scared playing this genre of game? How do you push through the fear?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    So today I started a horror game. I get TERRIFIED. I picked Until Dawn because I've seen a bit of an LP and I've heard positive things about it. Few other reasons.

So I watched up to the end of episode 2 of the LP, which is close to where I am now. And even though I know what's going to happen, I am still very scared and worried I won't be able to finish it when it gets going.

What are some tips you have for when you get scared playing this genre of game? How do you push through the fear?
    Goodness, I found watching Mr. Carny play the remade Tomb Raider and I found it bloody nervewracking. And it wasn't even a horror game. I have no idea how I'd fair watching, let alone playing, a horror game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I usually smack talk the TV. I be like, "Listen here you little trout, I'm the goddamn Ayenman! I ain't about be punked by no flat screen TV. I will own yo--! GODDAMN SON OF A BITCH MOTHER SMURFER!" [just died]

In your case it'd be more, "Listen here you little trout, I'm the goddamn Pumpkinwoman! I come out every Halloween to troll Charlie Brown. You can't handle this!"

Generally, I find talking to myself helpful. But I usually just brave through it with no real strategy.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I really liked The Evil Within. Lot of jump scares and mind smurfs for you.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I tried playing Silent Hill 2 once. I couldn't get past the first few hours, and it wasn't because it was a technically difficult game.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I love survival horror games. You should be playing these games wanting to get scared, it's the most fun aspect of the game!

Personally when I play survival horror games I tend to do so at night with the lights off and the sound cranked. It makes it more immersive n enhances the 'Horror' experience which is why I bought the game in the first place.

If you want to develop stronger nerves you have to play through the fear! It excites me.

Silent Hill 2, RE2, Siren: Blood Curse, Fatal Frame II Crimson Butterfly n Clock Tower are my fave survival horror games of all time. Unfortunately very few horror games scare me anymore. There was a fairly recent one that showed so much promise but it got cancelled. It has never stop hurting ..I jus wanted it so bad. The news of its cancellation was pure horror in itself.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Was that the thing from Konami that they pulled the plug on?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Looks like it. I don't think I would have ever managed to get past the demo, let alone the whole game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It didn't go well. I threw the controller and cried. My head hurts now

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I just end up watching the enemies from afar while hyperventilating, trying to look away from the screen as much as possible and still see where my character is going

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Though I usually don't get scared (besides a well timed jump scare and even then you could really call that being startled) you just have to remind yourself that you are playing a game and that there is no possible way that you are in danger. Sounds simple, but the first time I played Amnesia during (SPOILER)the water part I noticed my hand was shaking because I was so tense. So I just gave myself a friendly reminder and moved on. Sure, I was still scared, but that dose of reality helped tremendously.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Two tips.

Firstly, enjoy it. That may sound weird but the whole point of a horror game is to be scared. Feeling that rush of fear is what makes us human, it's why people love roller coasters and bungee jumping and the like. Is fear a nice feeling itself? No, but knowing you made it through is a real rush. Feeling fear in a safe and controlled environment like in your lounge is a lot better than in a dark alley in the middle of the night! Acknowledge it, feel it, cool off if it gets too much.

Second pointer is that it gets easier. For me, the most terrifying times of a horror game are early on. I'm new to this environment, I don't know what to expect or how it's coming at me. As you continue on you'll know what the score is - as with any game - and feel more in control. If you watch LPs of something like Five Nights at Freddy's you can see this in the player. At first they're terrified and screaming when they get caught, but later on they're more annoyed because they smurfed up.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's difficult to say whether I enjoy horror games or not. I loved the original Resident Evil and have played it countless times. I've only ever finished it once though. My thought process is "Phew! I've just got to a safe room with a bed, a chest and a typewriter. I'll just save and take a break for a little bit." Then I never reboot the game because I don't want to leave that room.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Swear.

Swear like you are a the dirtiest most debauch drunken sailor.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Two tips.

Firstly, enjoy it. That may sound weird but the whole point of a horror game is to be scared. Feeling that rush of fear is what makes us human, it's why people love roller coasters and bungee jumping and the like. Is fear a nice feeling itself? No, but knowing you made it through is a real rush. Feeling fear in a safe and controlled environment like in your lounge is a lot better than in a dark alley in the middle of the night! Acknowledge it, feel it, cool off if it gets too much.

Second pointer is that it gets easier. For me, the most terrifying times of a horror game are early on. I'm new to this environment, I don't know what to expect or how it's coming at me. As you continue on you'll know what the score is - as with any game - and feel more in control. If you watch LPs of something like Five Nights at Freddy's you can see this in the player. At first they're terrified and screaming when they get caught, but later on they're more annoyed because they smurfed up.
    Or they decided to take ambien before taking on Night 5 in the fourth installment of the series and they ended up bitching about life and getting woefully bitter, but then found it funny that complaining about life probably scared the monsters away.