Thread: The Last of Us 2

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Last of Us 2

Who here played the original?

There have only been whispers of a potential sequel. I think a lot of fans are in two minds over it. It was such a phenomenal game but I personally think it should be left as a stand alone game. I don't blame them for at least considering it though.

What do you think?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The original was as close as you could probably get to a perfect game that achieved exactly what it was trying to do. I'm open to a sequel that isn't a direct sequel since I think the narrative of the original was pretty well done and doesn't need to continue. But a game set like a decade latter starring Ellie on a whole different adventure would be fine with me.

I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog does visually with Uncharted 4 since they are usually the pioneers in the graphics department, and similarly with a potential Last of Us 2.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

I feel like they would maybe be better off with a 'sequel' in the sense of a separate story set in the same world, rather than a continuation of Joel and Ellie's story. I agree that the first game was essentially perfect at least from a storytelling point of view and they have more to lose by trying to add to it than they have to gain.

I think a story set either closer to the initial outbreak or, as previously mentioned, something a decade or two down the road would be a better way to go about it.

Agreed with the sentiments so far. A direct sequel would probably diminish the original. But I have a feeling Naughty Dog could probably surprise us all and pull it off somehow. But I think it'd be better left alone and do like has been suggested, unrelated side stories elsewhere in a different time or something

But on that note, every time I hear about Dreamworks doing a sequel to an animated movie I liked, I always groan, and then it turns out surprisingly good in the end. So yeah, I don't approve, but I do have faith. If you're going to do it, do it well, and that's kind of their way of making games. Always trying to outdo themselves. So I don't think I'd sweat it, if they did

Like many, I would absolutely love a sequel as long as it had absolutely nothing to do with the characters or story of the original. The game was almost perfection for me, and muscled into my top 10 after my first play through.

Having a sequel separate from the events of the first story would mean it wouldn't suffer any pressure or let downs if it wasn't so good, which - lets face it - it probably wouldn't be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Not sure what all they could do with a sequel unless they do go with the new characters, same world route. We already had a prequel with the DLC.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

So it's the last two of us.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

This is the video game industry we're talking about, so a sequel seems pretty much inevitable given what a massive critical and commercial success the game was. There's also this video where Josh Scherr of Naughty Dog all but flat out confirms a second TLoU game by accident.

Personally while I thought The Last of Us was fantastic, and I always want more of a good thing, TLoU is one of those things where I just feel like it should be left as it is. You can just tell it was crafted to be a single, self-contained narrative, with no expanded universe or franchising. It ended pretty much perfectly and is, from what I've seen, the pinnacle of writing, acting, and story telling in the video game world. I cannot think of a single game that rivals it. It's the only game I can think of that's at the same level of multi-million dollar Hollywood films in that department.

So I am a bit torn. But I don't doubt it's going to happen, and I'm going to play it. I just hope it's, at the very least, not about Ellie and Joel. That narrative should be left concluded as it is.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Heard it was a disappointment. I watched the playthrough via YouTube and was like WTF.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly cannot smurfing stand Naughty Dog's game design philosophy, or indeed the entire premise of "cinematic" games.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I actually got around to starting this game a couple of days ago after having had it sat on the shelf for months untouched. I'm not too far in so far but I'm impressed with how good the game looks, and the gameplay feels smoother than the first. I've already made it to a "shocker" with has set the scene for what's to come. Looking forward to playing more of it soon.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Heard it was a disappointment.
    It wasn't.

It was amazing.