Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Zelda Series

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Midna is the best companion character, hands down.
    Agreed, Midna was my favourite too. She was just fantastically bonkers.

Favourite dungeons? I thought Inside Jabu Jabu's Belly was a pretty unique one. All the ones in ALTTP were brilliantly designed but my favourite from that? The dark world dungeon in Kakariko Town. You'd be at the bosses chamber within two minutes but there would be no boss. You then need to work who the hell the boss was, where they were and how to get them to reveal themselves. It was fantastic dungeon design.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Found the Face Shrine in Link's Awakening and got a rude welcome from the game bringing back Wizzrobes who look suspiciously a lot like FF Black Mages in this game. I'm actually somewhat stuck in this temple as I can't seem to make headway anywhere and I can't find any keys. I bummed around and picked up the Frog Song and figured out where both the last two dungeons are but I still need to find a few more Seashells to get the sword upgrade. I'm also debating on whether I should do the optional Color Dungeon.

In Zelda II, I made some better headway in the second palace and I feel I found most of the keys. Still looking for the palace treasure and the boss but got curb stomped by the new Iron Knuckles this dungeon introduced.

In MM, I acquired the Goron Lullaby and acquired three new masks (Kero, Bunny, and the Eagle) and I'm close to just getting ready to tackle Snowhead so I can move on with the story because I need to get access to Romani Ranch if I want to advance some more.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember two rooms with bricks falling from the sky forming a wall in Zelda II before the treasure room. You can attack the bricks to clear a path, or run over the top of them as long as you're making sure not to get hit by the falling ones.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I may be wrong, but I seem to remember two rooms with bricks falling from the sky forming a wall in Zelda II before the treasure room. You can attack the bricks to clear a path, or run over the top of them as long as you're making sure not to get hit by the falling ones.
    I passed the first room with that trap but got creamed by the Red Iron Knuckle right after it due to low health and being on my last life. I really suck at fighting them.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Del Murder had the right idea. Downthrust is your friend. I don't remember if you have it yet or not, but if not you can hold the down button in midair and strike lower than a normal mid-air attack. Line that up with his head.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Del Murder had the right idea. Downthrust is your friend. I don't remember if you have it yet or not, but if not you can hold the down button in midair and strike lower than a normal mid-air attack. Line that up with his head.
    I haven't learned it yet. I need to find the guy who teaches it but I'm trying to restrict my access to guides.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't played the game in over 20 years, but I remember a surprising amount about it. I'll make sure not to spoil anything unless it's a direct question from now on.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't played the game in over 20 years, but I remember a surprising amount about it. I'll make sure not to spoil anything unless it's a direct question from now on.
    Yeah no worries man, advise is welcome in this thread, part of why I made it besides to discuss the franchise.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update time!

I finally finished the Face Shrine in Link's Awakening. I got stuck because I didn't realize I could use the upgraded Strength Bracer to throw objects into the doors to open them and was losing my mind trying to figure out how to advance. So I'm hoping to wander around and find four more seashells so I can finally upgrade the sword. Then I'll tackle Eagle Tower (already revived the rooster) and Turtle Rock.

In Majora's Mask, I'm attempting Snowhead and have found myself in a similar predicament as I did in LA. Basically I'm having issues figuring out how to advance further into the dungeon because I need a heat source to melt all the damn ice blocking my way. That or I need Link to learn how to jump higher...

In Zelda II, I've decided I'm going after the Hammer instead of finishing up the second Palace. I feel having the Downthrust will greatly improve my survival rate against the Iron Knuckles in the dungeon.

So two more questions for the rest of you: Which game had your favorite final battle against Ganondorf/Ganon? My other question is rank the Zelda games you've played from least favorite to favorite.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Twilight Princess was the most memorable for me. The variety was fantastic. Fighting Zelda's puppet, then beast Ganon, then it cuts to a brilliant battle on horseback before the final swordfight showdown. Perfect.

Oof, list of Zeldas worst to best? Tough one... I'll go with

Zelda II
    Phantom Hourglass
    Skyward Sword
    Legend of Zelda
    Links Awakening
    Ocarina of Time
    Twilight Princess
    A Link Between Worlds
    A Link to the Past

I have to say, the only game I really didn't enjoy was Zelda II. I respect you for persevering with it, WK! I think all the others are excellent games, even the ones near the top.
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-29-2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: List was wrong way round

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually think the final battle in Wind Waker was the most memorable one. For a cute and cartoony game like that, it was pretty smurfing brutal. But yeah, TP's was awesome too.

So, from least favorite to favorite, it would have to be...

Zelda II
    The Legend of Zelda
    Ocarina of Time
    Minish Cap
    Majora's Mask
    Wind Waker
    Link's Awakening
    Skyward Sword
    A Link Between Worlds
    Twilight Princess
    A Link to the Past

And yeah, Zelda II was the biggest test of patience I've ever endured. I used to be a super patient man, like you could literally never make me angry. As you can see, this has changed. All thanks to Zelda II.

Blog Entries

Okay guys real talk

I've never played a Zelda game in my life (apart from playing the first one for about 10 minutes once a long time ago and not understanding it), and know absolutely nothing about it apart from it involving some elf guy. I have recently taken a mate's Wii off his hands for a tenner and now own my first ever Nintendo console. Now may finally be the time to try this game that everyone seems to rave about. I have some questions:

1. Which one should I play
    2. Is the game going to keep my interest (ie. does it have some kind of plot as we're on like the 30th iteration of Mario now and it's still the same game)
    3. Can/should I get the older ones on the Virtual Console

Thank you for your cooperation.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

A link to the past is a good starting point, I think. And if you'd rather start with the 3D ones, then probably Ocarina of Tike. They do have stories, even if they're not terribly robust. Though it's interesting since the later games try to make sense of the lore and tie all the others more together. Skyward Sword, for example, is the prequel to all the Zelda games, so it won't really mean much to you until you play the others. Though a lot of them follow the same basic formula of get some stuff to get the master sword -> plot twist -> some more dungeons, they're still really fun to play and solving puzzles in the dungeons is really the main draw of the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's similar to Mario in that the story doesn't change massively from game to game. That still doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable. Zelda's are never massively plot-heavy, it's more about the gameplay and the experience.

I agree completely with Fynn that you should download A Link to the Past for a 2D Zelda and go with Ocarina of Time for a 3D one. I do prefer Twilight Princess as a 3D game but it's a very slow first couple of hours and may put you off.

I've only ever played A Link to the Past for the SNES and I loved it. I think if I ever bought another Nintendo console, Zelda would be the first series I checked out.