Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Zelda Series

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Game Set and Match!

The Swamp Dungeon, like most Water themed dungeons in Zelda titles, is not particularly hard to figure out, as much as it's simply tedious to do so even when its figured out. Switch puzzle dungeons can be fun, with moderation, and thankfully this one wasn't too bad. The real treat here was finally getting the Blue Mail and no longer being a three hit wonder. With the Swamp Dungeon finished off, I did the Ice Ruins next. Much like the original game, this is probably the most tedious and challenging dungeon since there are a lot of ways to die in here, and its really easy to get turned around. Oddly enough though, it might be less tedious than the originals, but I certainly had more deaths here than I feel I should have. The item of this dungeon was the Stamina Scroll, which raised my Item Meter. Nice, but not nearly as useful as I would have liked. Finally, we hit up Turtle Rock, and this might be the biggest curveball for LttP fans like myself. Its located in the notorious area where the Ice Ruins were originally in LttP, it actually is built around using the Ice Wand, which was an optional item that made Turtle Rock easier in the original, and despite having the name of the other notorious dungeon from LttP, this one is ridiculously easy. It even has damn Wizrobes in it, yet the dungeon is surprisingly short, pretty easy to figure out, and it might actually be the easiest dungeon in the game barring the Eastern Palace.

The Hylian Shield is also an overrated item and should not have been the treasure of this dungeon. I don't care for how shields work in this game, since they're trying to impose rules from the 3D Zeldas here with the shield being an item you have to use a button for, whereas most 2D Zeldas have the shield be a default use if you're not doing any other action. Especially problematic when the shield animation has less priority than other actions, meaning that even if you remember to use it, you almost need fair warning to make use of it. I was also surprised how pointless the Boomerang is for most of the game. Its primarily used for one optional challenge dungeon, and even then, its used in conjunction with the hookshot for that dungeon. On the other hand, it's a pretty brutal weapon in the weird Streetpass game, since it both stuns your opponent and brings them to you. Its faster than the hookshot as well.

After finishing all the dungeons, I finished collecting all 100 Alien Squid kids, though I never finished the quest due to the streetpass mechanics. Course, I may have screwed myself anyway with that, so I probably shouldn't have bothered, but considering this was more of a challenge run since I was in Hero Mode, it felt fitting to not upgrade any of them. I was reminded that I had one more bottle to collect from the hidden fairy fountain by the Bomb Flower shop.

Lorule Castle was pretty neat. I don't like it as much as Ganon's Tower in LttP, or Hyrule Castle in TP, but I could probably rank this as one of the better dungeons. The Red Mail, though a tricky pain in the ass to acquire if you don't get slightly lucky or just have a knack for extinguishing all of the torches you find. It is also Broken as trout because I went from taking reasonable damage with the Blue Mail, to suddenly taking damage like a champ. I started to forget I was playing Hero Mode actually. Wish I had found it before I did the Boss Rush challenge. Yuga-Ganon is a clever revamp of the old Ganon fight from LttP with Yuga's painting shenanigans added in for variety. With that said, I was actually surprised how easy the fight managed to be. I only used a Blue Potion, because I got so impatient with his first form, that I started trading blows with him just to end the fight faster. The second round was pretty easy. I will say this game does have one of the better Zelda endings, and I still appreciate the twist with Hilda in the end which is easily the highlight of the game. The game is fun and charming, but I still feel it borrows too much from LttP to feel unique, which is a shame because the painting mechanics was actually really well implemented in a series that tends to do a poor job with gimmicky mechanics. I have decided that the games primary issue really is the "open world" aspect. Dungeons in the first half felt less rewarding since they didn't feature any items beyond plot coupons and the second half of the game lacked challenge since they had to make all of the dungeons fairly similar in difficulty since you could take them in any order. I feel what really hurt them was the fact that the puzzles often felt one dimensional since they relegated each dungeon to just one tool and your painting form to solve all of the puzzles. Unlike previous entries where your whole arsenal could often come into play. The issue I see here is that the designers intended for players to only bring the token item into a dungeon, but since Rupees practically fall from the heavens all the time, I feel they should have accounted that players may bring more items into play. As it stands, the overworld usually ended up being more interesting since you did often need to have most of your tools available depending on the circumstances. While I would be fine with this design flaw in normal plays, since I feel its obvious this game suffers from the DS entries problem of being designed to be as accessible as possible to a younger generation, it would have been awesome if Hero Mode worked similar to Master Quest/2nd Quest and have the dungeons revamped and possibly built for multiple items to present more challenge. With that said, the variety of puzzles built around the items were fairly good. With the game freshly in my memory, I may move it up one rank in my original ranking list.

As for my questions:
    Most Underrated Tool/Item? I could probably list a few one game only items like the Spinner from TP, or the whip in SS; I'd probably say the Boomerang since is went from being a staple item in the first and third games, loses its luster in the N64 titles, and came back with a vengence in WW and TP, yet it tends to get overlooked a lot because of the hookshot.

Favorite Sidequest: I enjoyed the chain of deals quest in LA, I also liked the few overworld quests in LttP where you had to rescue people like the blacksmith's brother so you can upgrade the sword. I also ended up liking the Gratitude quest in SS since it really fleshed out the Sky Islands. and Skyloft. The Romani Ranch Alien abduction mission in MM was also a highlight.

Favorite Mode of Transportation: The King of Red Lions from WW.

Favorite Recurring Musical Theme: Either the main theme, or the Lost Woods theme.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update Time!

I decided to check out the Oracle series, which has been collecting dust on my 3DS Hardware for awhile. Started with Oracle of Seasons, and I just finished the fourth dungeon last night. I've also apparently found most of the heart pieces in the game. I'm only missing three by this point and two I can't access yet while the last one is the RNG with the Gacha Nut tree mechanic.

The biggest treat so far is experiencing some of the leftover elements for when this game started as a remake of the first Zelda game. It was really nice to see Aquamentus from the first game make a serious return since it has almost never appeared again after the first game. So far most of the bosses debuted in the first game except the Moth boss from the third dungeon which is from LttP.

The Season mechanic is also pretty clever, though part of me feel the game doesn't quite take it to the full potential it should have had, similar to OoT's under performing time travel mechanics. Its still really neat, and I love the variety if gives. I can still only access three of the seasons at the moment. Course, I feel the one lauded mechanic that really isn't doing much for me is the Ring system. The idea is sound, but the rings themselves are either uselessly gimmicky like the ones that change your form, or so over specialized to feel kind of meaningless like half damage to small rock attacks. Even looking at a list of all the rings, it really only feels like a handful have any value to me, and most of them are locked behind the Linked Game mechanic, or some endgame quest I can't do at the moment, so it's been a real let down so far. The animal companions are amusing as well, though I'm annoyed that I apparently set the flute to the worst of the three. The flying bear guy is a pain to use compared to Ricky and the dinosaur one.

The overall flow of the game has been really good so far. The game looks and feels like a continuation of Link's Awakening, but there are even more interesting side characters and several borrowed from OoT. It's been a really charming game so far. I also really love Maple, and I enjoy the kind of odd game like rivalry she shares with Link. I've also completed a good chunk of the game's Trading Sequence quest, which has been really amusing. I think I actually have the last item, the phonograph, though I haven't met anyone looking for it. I feel the most interesting part for me in this game has been Subrosia. I'm a sucker for subterranean societies, and I love when game implement alternate monetary mechanics in different regions. The place has served as an amusing diversion from the issues plaguing Holodrum since they tend to be oblivious to anything going on in the surface. I only wish Roda would just give me her necklace, so I wouldn't have to deal with acquiring keys anymore in dungeons. Overall, been a really fun game, and I'm going to have a tough time figuring out where I would place it among the series.

New questions:

Favorite Zelda gimmick (Light/Dark World, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Season Rod, etc...)?
    Least favorite Zelda gimmick?
    Favorite non-Hyrule setting?
    2D or 3D Zelda?

Not really sure what this gimmick thing means so I'm gonna go with collecting pieces of the Triforce. Gotta stick with the classics. I actually don't like the Light/Dark world element of Link to the Past too much. Even though it's one of my favorite games of the series having the majority of the game dominated by the Dark World was a mistake IMO.

Least favorite gimmick. Stamina in BOTW.

Non-Hyrule - Link's Awakening

2d over 3d mostly. BotW though...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gimmick is basically a core mechanic that defines the whole game, so needing to switch back and forth between the Light and Dark Worlds in LttP, using the various songs with the Ocarina of Time, the Masks and three day time loop in MM, Sailing and using the Wind Waker, Wolf Link, swordplay in SS, changing seasons in Oracle of Seasons, time travel in Oracle of Ages, etc...

Each game is usually defined by the gimmick, so that would be where I would start.

Well, the original is pretty much defined by collecting pieces of the Triforce. I stand by it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Well, the original is pretty much defined by collecting pieces of the Triforce. I stand by it.
    Even though most of the games in the series can be defined as "collect eight mcguffans to proceed to the ending"?

Update Time:

Finished the fifth dungeon, and obtained what might be one of the coolest items I've seen in awhile for the series. The Magnetic Gloves are a pretty clever idea, and I like how it works like a more versatile hookshot despite magnets not working like this. Basically, the gloves change every time you use them to a N or S polarity which will either attract metal or repel it. It works like the hookshot because there are posts in areas that are stationary, which if you use this item, you can either pull yourself across gaps to reach it, or push yourself away. The most interesting thing was the boss battle of the dungeon. It was Didogger, another returning boss from the original. In the old game, you had to use the Flute to force it to split into a group of smaller versions of itself which could actually be damaged by your sword. In this one, it hops around the room and instead you need to manipulate a large spiked ball to collide with it until it shatters the monster and splits up into smaller versions that can be hurt by the sword. What is interesting is that Didogger is pretty harmless since he's kind of slow and most of his moves are easily telegraphed, the real damage is making sure you don't accidentally collide with the Spiked Ball yourself when manipulating it since the speed of attraction and repelling is based on how long you hold the magnet gloves button. It was a pretty interesting fight, and I've been enjoying the items use in the overworld.

With that finished, I reached the first really obtuse section of the game. I need to reach some old ruins in the Lost Woods but it's blocked by a door that needs four sigils that are scattered all over the map. There is a map you can acquire in one of the bazaars that show you where they are located but, you may not obtain it if you don't frequent another shop in Subrosia. None of this is helped by the fact the treasure map doesn't state what the items marked on it are for until this point in the game. Adding to this issue is that I don't think I ever met anyone who told me how to get through the Lost Woods to reach the ruins, the Maku Tree who is suppose to be your guide is actually pretty useless in this game. I imagine Impa may have told me, but I always forget to check back with her since she's usually better about directions. I actually tried the original games path hoping that it might work but it involves using the Rod of Seasons in a specific way. I ended up using a guide to get to the dungeon. On the brightside, I finished the Chain of Deals quest and obtained the instructions needed to navigate the Lost Woods and find the Noble Sword, which couldn't have come sooner cause I'm certainly dealing with stronger enemies now that tank hits like no other. So now I'm tackling the sixth dungeon. I've also obtained a bunch of useless rings, though apparently one of them may come in handy in Oracle of Ages if I transfer the data when I finish the game.

Other than that, I've been toying with the idea that once I finish the Oracle series, I may play Masterquest mode in Ocarina of Time, since I've never played it despite have the Zelda collection for Gamecube and the 3DS remaster of the game. I was pretty impressed with how different 2nd Quest was for the original Zelda, so I feel like this might do something similar for OoT for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update Time:

The Ancient Cave took forever, probably one of the longest dungeons so far in the game, but I appreciate that this along with the Explorer's Crypt really show off what I mean about my issue with ALBW dungeons feeling a bit bare bones compared to more standard dungeons. These dungeons will make damn sure you're still using almost every item you've obtained up until this point which I actually prefer in my Zelda Dungeons. Also, as if the cosmos itself heard my gripes about how underappeciated the Boomerang is in this series, the Ancient Cave actually gives you the Mgaic Boomerang, and it may be the best version of the item in the series. First off, it's pathway can be directly controlled by you, meaning this game did this idea first and predated WW, which I find amusing because I've watched a bunch of Zelda fan videos brow beat TP for copying WW for having a controllable Boomerang. The bigger deal with this item is that is can actually do some serious damage, and there are a few enemies like the glowing skulls that bounce around the room, that this item can directly kill, making it way more useful than most versions of the item. The mini-boss of the dungeon involved a battle with Vires, the demon bat enemies from Zelda 1. He was a bit more annoying than I would care for since he likes to stay out of your reach, but as minibosses go, he actually took less hits than most, but maybe that's because I'm sporting the Noble Sword now. The actual boss of the dungeon was the Manhanda Plant monster from Zelda 1, who could only be damaged when one of its mouths were opened. The Boomerang was also the ideal weapon cause its main body was a giant version of those little green cauctar guys that zap you if you strike them with the sword. They actually made this a bit of a tougher fight, especially since you fought it on quicksand that kept shifting you around.

After this, I needed to reach a graveyard, but the only one I know of was in Subrosia. There I re-encountered the Piratians, a crew of undead pirates, of whom half their ship is buried on the top side of the world, while the other is in Subrosia. The crew can't leave because the Captain lost a special Bell he was given by his Lady love in the desert, and he wouldn't let Link go looking for it until he had more experience as an adventurer. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy how Zelda handles undead characters and plot points. These guys were hilarious and trying to find this bell was amusing since it involved carrying around one of the crews heads through the desert to find the right quicksand path and then taking a the rusted bell to the wacky blacksmiths in Subrosia who prefer you to be blunt and to the point instead of polite. Finally the pirates vacated Subrosia, only to learn they've been on land for so long, they lost their sea legs and got seasick trying to leave. They parked the ship on a beach south of Horon Village which led me to the area of the graveyard and the Explorer's Crypt. This place has been interesting because you'll occasionally go into a room where the a voice tells you to leave before the torches all go out, if you don't, you're sent back to the entrance of the dungeon. The trick is to usually find a dark room nearby that has a grave and torches in it, light the torches, and face off with one of the Poe Sisters that is causing the curse. Been a tricky dungeon so far.

In sidequest mode, I finally finished tracking down the four Golden Enemies this old man asks you to hunt down. They only appear in certain areas during certain seasons. An Octorok, a Moblin, a Darknut, and a Lynel of all things. Beating them rewards you with the Red Ring, which is probably one of the only truly decent rings in this game that doubles your attack power. I'm grateful its a guaranteed drop from a quest rather than play with the RNG and having to deal with Ring drops with Gasha Trees or running into Maple.

To answer my own questions:
    Favorite Gimmick: Either Dark/Light world or the Season changing

Least favorite: Probably the Phantom Hourglass

Favorite Non-Hyrule location: Kolinet Island

2D or 3D: Probably 2D, though I like both for different reasons.

More Zelda Questions:

Favorite Non-Master Sword sword?

Favorite recurring NPC that isn't Zelda?

80s Zelda Cartoon: Yay or Nay?

Favorite non-Green Tunic outfit Link has worn?

Favorite Non-Master Sword sword?
    Great Fairy Sword, mostly because it had health regen in the GameCube version of Soul Calibur 2 and I loved playing as Link in that game

Favorite recurring NPC that isn't Zelda?

80s Zelda Cartoon: Yay or Nay?
    Dont think I ever saw more than one episode

Favorite non-Green Tunic outfit Link has worn?
    Hmm maybe the Sheikah set from BoTW, but only as a distant second to the classic green

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update Time!

Oracle of Seasons: Finished the Explorers Crypt which granted me the awesome Roc's Cape that let me glide further distances, making this the most mobile 2D Link in the series. The boss of the dungeon turned out to be Gleeok, a boss I'm still surprised doesn't show up more often in the series cause you would think fighting a multi-headed dragon would be pretty popular with both the devs and fans. He fight is like his classic form with his heads that get cut off coming back from the dead to try and murder you. He has a few new fire breath patters, but his real new trick is that once all the heads are dealt with, his body revives and tries to ram you as well after it does a huge earthquake stomp to stun you. You need to use the Roc's Cape to stay in the air long enough for this attack to miss.

With the Roc's Cape, I can reach the are of Holodrum where the Temple of Seasons originally stood before Orok knocked into Subrosia. I actually ended up having to go to Subrosia to cause a volcanic eruption which allowed me to collect the last heart piece I needed to form the last non-dungeon heart. The Sword and Shield dungeon actually lies in Subrosia itself, and this dungeon is weird with a Fire & Ice theme with the rooms. The dungeon item is an upgraded Slingshot that can fire three shots instead of one in a shotgun spread. Looks like I need it to activate some specific switches. We'll see how this dungeon goes.

Ocarina of Time: Going to try out Master's Quest. Course this may be lost on me because I don't play OoT enough to have the game memorized, so even though I'm exploring the remixed first dungeon, as far as I remember, it feels mostly the same. We'll see how this goes.

To answer my questions:

Favorite Non-Master Sword: The Four Sword is pretty neat. Though I also like the Noble Sword in Seasons and the Magic Sword in Zelda 1.

Favorite recurring NPC that isn't Zelda: Probably Beedle.

80s Zelda Cartoon: Yay!

Favorite Non-Green Tunic outfit: Either his Ordon farm hand outfit in TP, or his Lobster shirt in WW. Though his Engineers outfit in Spirit Tracks is adorable.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update Time!

Ocarina of Time Master Quest: Deku Tree is finished. I didn't see much in the way of major changes to the dungeon, though as I stated before, I'm not exactly a die hard fan of this entry who has it memorized. I did notice a few items and pathways are blocked off and need items I'll obtain in later dungeons. So I guess MQ mostly makes backtracking a worthwhile effort. I will say that I have always liked the Deku Tree as a starter dungeon, I feel it really does pull you through all the ropes of what the new engine can let Link do, and get you familiar with how puzzles are going to work. I also love the Slingshot, which I like better than the bow, if only because its easier to aim. Course I'm playing the 3DS Remaster, so manual targeting is actually feasible with little skill. Gohma has always been one of my favorite recurring Zelda bosses, though I'm still sad he's such a cakewalk in this game. I beat the boss, got the Kokori stone, and I'm going to be sent off to Hyrule Castle to do the mini-stealth mission to see Zelda and start this quest properly.

Oracle of Seasons: Finished! The Sword and Shield dungeon was pretty hectic but thankfully has several shortcuts you can activate to make backtracking less of a chore than the Ancient Ruins or Explorers Tomb. Oddly enough, the miniboss was more of a challenge than the actual final boss. He was a Fire and Ice demon who would change element based on which seeds you hit him with. The fastest, though not necessarily easiest way to beat him involves hitting him with a Mystery Seed to make him go into Ice form, strike one of his ice attacks with the same seed to turn it into an ice block, and then strike him again with a seed to make him go back to his Fire form. From there, you equip the Power Bracelet to lift the Ice block and chuck it into him, though it does involve getting close to him. With the triple shot Slingshot, this process is way easier than you think if you line up the shot right. The actual final boss is a keep away boss who has an annoying ability to turn you into stone so they can land extra hits. You need the Roc's Cape to dodge all of its attacks and close the gap between you.

Orok's Castle was pretty straightforward but Orok himself was actually interesting. He doesn't take damage from your normal sword strikes, instead, you have to charge it up for the spin attack to actually do damage. You need to dodge his massive ball and chain hammer while striking during the few openings he has. Once he's taken a few hits though, he summons Din, the Oracle of Seasons, and uses her as a shield that causes you to take damage if you strike her and she always floats in a way to block you. The key here is to use the Seasons Rod to strike her, which won't hurt her or you, but it will send her flying across the room and give you a few moments to go in for a hit.

His second form is really amusing for me as a long time fan of the Mega Man X series, and a moment where the development team showed their true colors. His second form is a massive flying dragon, of which he can only take damage from a jewel on his forehead. To reach it, you have to wait until he tries to squash you with one of its arms, and then use the Roc's Cape to jump onto his hand and let him move you close to his head where you can jump again and hit his weak point. If this sounds a bit familiar, this is the same strategy for taking out Sigma's final form in MMX1. The biggest difference is that Link's sword attack has way better range than the Rolling Shield weapon, and Orok isn't filling the screen with death while you try to dodge and platform at the same time to actually get in range to strike. He does have a few other attacks like breathing fireballs that are tough to dodge properly but he doesn't use them as often as his hand smash. With him defeated Din, is saved and Holodrum returns to normal outside of the fact that most of the Temple of Seasons is still trapped in Subrosia. We get a neat ending sequence showing off all the NPCs interacting with Din and Link. We also get all the heavy foreshadowing about the content of the Linked Game/True Ending path.

I wrote down my crazy password, and will probably start Oracle of Ages a bit later.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've got me some Breath of the Wild waiting in my backlog, but I also remembered I never finished the Oracle games, so I started Oracle of Ages today using my code from Seasons. First dungeon is complete and now I need to find the second one.

I played the original “Legend of Zelda” and “Link’s Adventure” back in the 80’s. Went through “A Link to the Past” when it was released on the SNES. My eldest son and I beat Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword on the Wii. ... but it wasn’t until my eldest, 2’nd, and I played through “Link’s Awakening” on the Switch that I fell in love with the franchise. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been a huge fan and avid player, but watching my 6yr old (at the time) fall for the series, as well as my eldest come to understand the initial brilliance (as LA really captures that original feel), was very... nostalgic (only a lot
    More than that).

We’ve played through BotW and Age of Calamity, unlocked nearly 100% of the content on each, including the Amiibo characters/gear for BotW. Not trying to spoil anything, so just mentioning that we’re only missing the final character on AoC.

My 7yr old is so enamored with LoZ that he has a Master Sword, Hylian Shield, Link’s bow (not sure which one), Link’s costume (think it’s from Skyward Sword), and a playable ceramic Ocarina (TriForce in the glaze). He’s done his research and wants a GameCube w/“Majora’s Mask” and “Ocarina of
    Time”.

Amazes me that there are games/franchises from over 30 years ago that are not only relevant, but industry leading today.

Anyhow, loving some LoZ over here.
    Last edited by Vasher; 01-20-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    He’s done his research and wants a GameCube w/“Majora’s Mask” and “Ocarina of
    Time”.
    If you can, and want to go full retro, I'd get an N64 instead (or for more portability, a 3DS). The GameCube emulation of Ocarina of Time mostly works well, but the emulation of Majora's Mask crashes ALL THE TIME which can get quite frustrating considering the more restrictive save mechanics in that game (especially when doing one of the time sensitive side quests for example).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Plus, the 3DS versions are pretty much enhanced remakes with updated graphics and (arguably) gameplay. 3DS Majora’s Mask is honestly in my top 3.

Currently replaying Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, it's been a good 10 years since I've played them for the first time (10 years after watching my cousin play OOT) but this time on actual N64 hardware. I'm definitely having more fun with MM, the time-based mechanics force you to think in more unconventional ways and the world itself feels more alive and full of personality, though I will always respect OOT for revolutionizing the gaming industry. I've had to put BotW on hold for now, and tbh I'm getting pretty burned out on that game.