Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This... has not aged well at all

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default This... has not aged well at all

You ever watch a movie that you loved when you were younger, and then went back to it and went, "Holy crap, this is terrible!"

I think my biggest example of this right now was with the old Spawn movie. As a kid I used to love it and considered it one of my favorite superhero movies, but today? Oh my god, does it look cheesy as hell (lol puns). The special effects look like something that'd be in a PSX video game, not a Hollywood action movie. The soundtrack is still good, though.

Van Helsing is another. At the time I remember people praising it for its special effects, and criticizing it for not having much meat in the story itself. Watching it today you can see how much the CGI has aged. And the acting at times, sweet merciful Jesus were we supposed to take Dracula seriously? That whole scene with him ranting to his wives were hilarious.

A more recent example was when I caught a glimpse of the 2002 Spider-Man for work. This movie was responsible for the current comic book craze in our media we have today, but going back to it was gut-wrenching. It's just so campy, and I know that's the bloody point, I'm familiar with Sam Raimi's work (honestly think Hercules and Xena aged better), but it's too corny and I don't think I could sit through it again. If any Spider-Man flick came out of the 1960's it's that one. Though it is interesting to see how far comic book movies have come in just the past decade.

Your turn.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Saw Neverending Story in theaters over the summer. It was not great. 0/10 would not recommend watching again as an adult.

I loved Schumacher's Batman & Robin when it came out...

I was like 5, lay off.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
    I loved Schumacher's Batman & Robin when it came out...

I was like 5, lay off.
    I was a kid too, so you'll get no grief from me.

Hell, I was so hyped by all the commericals and what they were throwing into it I thought it was going to be a two parter and my mom waved the idea off. Yes, there was once a time where the mere idea of a movie being in two parts was laughable.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Saw Neverending Story in theaters over the summer. It was not great. 0/10 would not recommend watching again as an adult.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I watched it again as an adult and loved it, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    A more recent example was when I caught a glimpse of the 2002 Spider-Man for work. This movie was responsible for the current comic book craze in our media we have today, but going back to it was gut-wrenching. It's just so campy, and I know that's the bloody point, I'm familiar with Sam Raimi's work (honestly think Hercules and Xena aged better), but it's too corny and I don't think I could sit through it again. If any Spider-Man flick came out of the 1960's it's that one. Though it is interesting to see how far comic book movies have come in just the past decade.
    Spiderman 1 was, is and always will be fantastic. Bettered only by the sequel.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I was 11 when this came out and I thought it was AWESOME!!!111!!!1one!

I saw it again when I was 20 and I couldn't even sit all the way through it. It was so bad I was physically cringing, especially at the anything-but-special effects when Liu Kang turned into a dragon and Shao Kahn turned into a hydra...type...thing. Oh my God was it bad. Knowing that I actually enjoyed it at one time in my life made it unbearable.

I mean at least I can rewatch the god awful 1994 Street Fighter movie (which came out when I was nine, and I also liked) today for cheap laughs.

It's so bad it's good, and with a few drinks and a couple of friends it can be thoroughly enjoyed, and is thus redeemed by still being an entertaining film. But MK Annihilation is just so bad it's horrible. It has no redeeming qualities, and aside of being based on MK I just can't see what 11 year old me liked about it. It's just short of being the lowest of the low for video game adaptations (because it's still not as bad as the crap Uwe Boll "directed").
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That movie was so bad they reused a death scene for another character.

They couldn't even be assed to film a new death scene!

FFXIV Character

Ahaha, they did? I don't find that hard to believe.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Men in Black. I love the actors in it and the premise but he comedy is just a little too...young for me now.

I really liked the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie as a kid. It's unwatchable to me now. Another case of terrible execution. Also a case of me loving the far superior TV series.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I really liked the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie as a kid. It's unwatchable to me now. Another case of terrible execution. Also a case of me loving the far superior TV series.
    I'm not even really sure how the Buffy series ended up happening. I've actually met more than a handful of fans of the tv series who had no idea there was a movie it was based off of. The movie is a cheesy comedy that doesn't take itself seriously which is the polar opposite of the show.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post

Ahaha, they did? I don't find that hard to believe.
    Ermac and Rain both fall into a fire pit, so they just recycle the same shot for each.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I'm not even really sure how the Buffy series ended up happening. I've actually met more than a handful of fans of the tv series who had no idea there was a movie it was based off of. The movie is a cheesy comedy that doesn't take itself seriously which is the polar opposite of the show.
    I think a lot of it was Joss wanting to do his creation justice, alongside the timing of a young Warner Bros. network being more willing to take risks with a new idea than any of the major networks.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Most old video game based cartoons. I like them for nostalgic value, but objectively they are pretty terrible. Meaning the old Super Mario Bros. Super Show, The Legend of Zelda cartoon, Captain N: The Game Master, etc.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Most old video game based cartoons. I like them for nostalgic value, but objectively they are pretty terrible. Meaning the old Super Mario Bros. Super Show, The Legend of Zelda cartoon, Captain N: The Game Master, etc.
    God bless those cartoons. Where would the Youtube Poop community be without them?
    I like Kung-Fu.