Thread: Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)

Default Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)

I don't really have any questions for you, but I wanted to let out a sort of rant on Dragon Quest V. I have some very strong feelings for this game. I think it's a testament to the writing they have done here. Anyway what I liked about this game is the fact that you could get married and choose a bride. Not to mention name your children. Also, when I play the game, at least on the Nintendo DS, I always choose Nera Briscoletti because I like her party chat dialogue the best. Both Debora and Bianca's dialogue gets really old, really fast in my opinion. And I especially don't like Nera's sister Debora because she's Prince Harry in chick form. She's just a spoiled brat and it shows. But this time there's no Pankraz to take her down a peg or two.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of Prince Harry, he's an asshole even after Pankraz slaps him and tells him to basically 'grow up.' Because at the end of the game, (we're getting into spoilers here but hey this game has been out since 2009.) Prince Harry has the audacity to tell the Hero character that he doesn't deserve his wife and that really pissed me off. Because Harry has only been through half of the hell that Hero character went through. He wasn't turned to stone for eight years while the Hero had to watch somebody else's kid grow up. But I suppose it was the Hero's fault for looking for his wife and walking right into the villain's trap. But I digress.

Anyway, my favorite party chat dialogue scene with Nera...Is when you go up into the mountains and talk to this blonde NPC lady, and she says something about marriage changing the weaker person in the relationship and how the weaker person in the relationship experiences the odd feeling of doubt or worry, then she says, "You should take care of your wife, anyway." And if you press the dialogue button immediately after that Nera says, "What's wrong, darling? You seemed troubled. I'm really glad that I married you and I don't regret it one bit. We'll always be happy together, you and I."

And that little piece of writing, made me happy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll get back to you in like two weeks. I'm still playing IV, but I'll probably jump into V right after that

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I'll get back to you in like two weeks. I'm still playing IV, but I'll probably jump into V right after that

Okay, I'll be right here waiting.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's definitely my second favorite entry in the franchise. I love the monster recruiting and the whole "see a hero grow up" element to the story. With that said, I was never really impressed with the marriage thing but it was nice the game made you not feel so damn guilty for not choosing Bianca anymore unlike the original.

Boco

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    It's definitely my second favorite entry in the franchise. I love the monster recruiting and the whole "see a hero grow up" element to the story. With that said, I was never really impressed with the marriage thing but it was nice the game made you not feel so damn guilty for not choosing Bianca anymore unlike the original.

The first time I played Dragon Quest V, I married Nera and I was impressed by how 'loving' she was and how smart she was. I couldn't say 'no' to her. Like when she asks me if she had gotten stronger during our journey to the mountain top town, I said yes, because I actually leveled her up a lot before then and it was the truth. There was even a cute moment where she asks me if she was my first love and I said yes, and she said, "You were mine, too, isn't that sweet?" Or something like that, I don't know it's been a while since I played the game.