• Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punctual, on time, or late?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    I'm always early to a social gathering. I get to introduce myself to everyone and dictate the mood of the event.
    Define 'early'. If you're early in the traditional sense of the word there shouldn't be anyone to introduce yourself to except the host who you already know. You have essentially invited yourself to someone else's house earlier than they were ready to receive you.

You're right though, it definitely dictates the mood, just that it shouldn't be yours to dictate if you're not throwing the party, at least not at the beginning of the night.
    We're talking, five minutes? I'm not going to show up to someone's house (which assumes it even takes place at a private residence) well before the event has even finished preparations unless I'm specifically invited by the person beforehand to help prepare, for example. I don't know what I said to give an indication I intended otherwise.

And "dictate" is a pretty poor word choice so perhaps better phrasing is in order. I like to be one of the first few people to arrive at an event, within reason, so that I can acclimate myself to the environment and personalities as they come in. It's way easier for me to start conversation and keep my anxiety in check. So by "dictate the mood of the event" I'm not (intentionally) stating I want influence over people but rather I want to have a certain degree of freedom to introduce myself on my own terms and thus have more control and freedom as I come off, see? Dictate the mood of the event as it pertains to me.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That's fine Laddy, I was just having a joke so I hope you weren't upset by it! I'm just saying don't you go stealing my thunder at my own party. I know you're a diva!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    I'm always early to a social gathering. I get to introduce myself to everyone and dictate the mood of the event.
    Define 'early'. If you're early in the traditional sense of the word there shouldn't be anyone to introduce yourself to except the host who you already know. You have essentially invited yourself to someone else's house earlier than they were ready to receive you.

You're right though, it definitely dictates the mood, just that it shouldn't be yours to dictate if you're not throwing the party, at least not at the beginning of the night.
    We're talking, five minutes? I'm not going to show up to someone's house (which assumes it even takes place at a private residence) well before the event has even finished preparations unless I'm specifically invited by the person beforehand to help prepare, for example. I don't know what I said to give an indication I intended otherwise.

And "dictate" is a pretty poor word choice so perhaps better phrasing is in order. I like to be one of the first few people to arrive at an event, within reason, so that I can acclimate myself to the environment and personalities as they come in. It's way easier for me to start conversation and keep my anxiety in check. So by "dictate the mood of the event" I'm not (intentionally) stating I want influence over people but rather I want to have a certain degree of freedom to introduce myself on my own terms and thus have more control and freedom as I come off, see? Dictate the mood of the event as it pertains to me.
    All good with that. If that's what you meant then I think that is perfectly reasonable, and like I initially mentioned anything within 5-10 mins early or late is negligible.

@BMN. I hope you're not serious, what right do you have to throw cocaine on someone else's table or try and get their guests hammered whether you arrive early, on time or late? Unless you're in high school that is not the way you behave at a social gathering unless the host has set that tone.

Blog Entries

Well I was exaggerating for effect, but I've arrived at parties where people had really hard liquors early on and everyone was partaking heavily and parties where someone was bringing something hard arrived a bit late and everyone was already in a groove then they're already a bit tired and only a few people will take a small amount with mixer, I personally don't bring out anything strong if the host has implied they want a low key event or whatever but most of the parties I go to there is no previously implied tone.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

If you want to get to a party early on to the proceedings so you know what kind of party the host is throwing that's all well and good, but like I said, it's not up to the guests to dictate anything.

Also, with Facebook events these days (which is basically the only way I get invited to anything unless it's last minute or really small) then it's pretty easy to find out if it's a party you should be bringing a six-pack or a bottle of Cuervo to.

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I always try to be early. If I can get there 10 to 15 minutes early I consider it on time. If I show up right on time... I'm late.
    That's me!
    Thanks to the school I'm an early bird!
    Last edited by Zanmato; 02-02-2016 at 03:15 PM.

I'd say either early or on time for the most part. I like to fly under the radar and that's kind of hard to do if you're showing up late.
    Last edited by Kalevala; 01-31-2016 at 06:30 AM.

I try to make sure I'm one of the first to arrive at the event to maximise my time at the event, because events are fun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I suffer from chronic tardiness.
    I used to be good about being on time but lately I can't even be arsed to be at work on time.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

I call it being "fashionably" late.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Better late than never unless it's to a movie or play because I don't want to miss any of it.

Blog Entries

I try my darnedest to be on time.

I'm punctual (always arrive early). My wife could not be on time if her life depended on it. Kids are an "excuse" now, but it's always been this way (our first baby was born over three years after we met, 16 years together). She laaaaaaaaaaaags (fixing hair).