View Poll Results: FAVOURITE GENERATION

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gen 1 ( red blue yellow)

9 34.62%
  • Gen 2 ( Gold silver crystal)

4 15.38%
  • Gen 3 (Ruby Sapphire Emerald, Fire red Leaf green)

3 11.54%
  • Gen 4 (Diamond Pearl Platinum, HeartGold SoulSilver)

5 19.23%
  • Gen 5 (Black White, Black 2 White 2)

2 7.69%
  • Gen 6 (X Y, Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire)

3 11.54%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fav Pokemon Generation

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gen 1. The only others i played at all were 3 and 6 and I'll be honest here, the Pokemon designs went way down hill after gen 1. Those designs are brilliant but most I've seen from later generations tend to range from mediocre to terrible.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I have not played Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum and no one has recommended one of those to me so I assume those are bad. Emerald was okay, I forgot most of it, Soul Silver I think is great, but the base game takes a fall for a lack of catchable pokemon and low exp give out. I played Black 2, but I played a hacked version, so I can't judge it on the base, but I loved the speed increase and the addition of triple and rotation battles.
    well. i reccomend platinum. so yeah. but i think you should play them and be your own judge of it, not someone else

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Number 2 has Cindaquil, Totodile, and Chicorita...

Also in Crystal you could play as a GIRL!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

After gen 1 they started making Pokemon out of pine cones and ice creams and all sorts of weird trout. I don't play video games to simulate a bad acid trip.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    a wonky little mound of trout.
    Don't give Nintendo any ideas, Psych.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

theres also. pokeball with eyes. french mimer dude. and.... just sludge. i think that we were on an acid trip from the start.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also this beaut was from gen 2

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Yeah, sure, that buggy ghost types were so much better than those drug induced hallucinations of gens juy2 through 6
    Gen 1 didn't have any Ghost/Bug type pokemon. They didn't exist until Gen 3

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

hmm. night fury. thanks for the idea

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I liked Gen IV the best. Not only did they remake Gen II, but they also made it so that moves of a type were not all only Special or only Physical. It was probably the Generation with the most impact on PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    There are only 151 Pokemon. On a good day you may catch me grudgingly admitting that maybe there are 251. Perhaps.
    >> 190 programmed Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Yeah, sure, that buggy ghost types were so much better than those drug induced hallucinations of gens juy2 through 6
    Gen 1 didn't have any Ghost/Bug type pokemon. They didn't exist until Gen 3
    Unless he means those Gen I Ghost Pokemon that were literally bugged. Those definitely existed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Generation V may have had an actually good story, but the pokemon designs were... eh. Consider the ice cream cone pokemon, the garbage pokemon, the admittedly cute gear cog pokemon with a strange naming pattern, the ugly stunfisk, the really odd toad and whatever the hell mushroom pokeball pokemon this is. I always thought Darmitan looks odd too.

Admittedly, there are a few good gen V pokemon designs. Chandelure looks great, even if it would look better placed as a heartless in Kingdom Hearts. But Gen V does continue the trend of boring Fire/Fighting starters. It was fine for one repeat in Gen IV with Chimchar (if only because Infernape looks cool) but they dropped the ball with Tepig, whose final evolution looks ridiculous. Thank goodness Gen VI changed things around with Fire/Psychic.

I don't know. Gen V's pokemon for me didn't always feel... like pokemon. Some of them are just visually unappealing, or it feel like they were trying to hard to make up the numbers. They did introduce a lot of pokemon in that Gen. It just didn't look natural, at times. But the story is very good. I'll give it that.

Gen IV gets quite a lot of hate. I don't know. It wasn't 'groundbreaking' but it didn't do a lot of things wrong, either. It was a solid, if safe, generation of games, which also gave us remakes of Gen II, which is nice. The pokemon designs are fine, if reminiscent of Gen I at times. Starly is basically a different pidgey.

Gen III had some of the most borked designs. Most of the legendaries look really CGI. Groudon just looks bizzare and blocky to me. There was also a ton of water in this generation, which is a marked change. They removed the day/night cycle, which felt somewhat of a backtrack. I don't know, Gen III didn't catch me.

I'll have to go with Gen II, though, for improving on what Gen I lay, and for giving us a fantastic post-game journey through Kanto.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I honestly gotta go with 2, it really upped the ante from the first generation and introduced a lot of cool mechanics. Being able to go back to Kanto and eventually fight Red also *blew my mind* at the time.

I don't think this is just nostalgia because I replayed Pokemon Gold - the original, not HeartGold - last year and it hasn't aged a day. Played through the entire thing in like a week, loved every minute of it.

In second place I think I gotta go with XY, Pokemon is great these days.

Gen IV.

I loved Cyrus, and thought he was one of the more engaging villains (he loses to N, but Gen V had so many other problems that this didn't matter).

The region itself was on the whole brilliantly constructed. There was tons to do, and lots of Pokemon to find.

I loved the legendary trio. I felt it was a little under utilized mechanically (until we got to the Distortion world, which was just awesome), but I loved their themes and their designs.

Best movie. Rise of Darkrai is my favorite film in the entire franchise, and the only one I can think of that I would want to watch again.

And, need I mention? Best champion. BY FAR.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Generation V may have had an actually good story, but the pokemon designs were... eh. Consider the ice cream cone pokemon, the garbage pokemon, the admittedly cute gear cog pokemon with a strange naming pattern, the ugly stunfisk, the really odd toad and whatever the hell mushroom pokeball pokemon this is. I always thought Darmitan looks odd too.

Admittedly, there are a few good gen V pokemon designs. Chandelure looks great, even if it would look better placed as a heartless in Kingdom Hearts. But Gen V does continue the trend of boring Fire/Fighting starters. It was fine for one repeat in Gen IV with Chimchar (if only because Infernape looks cool) but they dropped the ball with Tepig, whose final evolution looks ridiculous. Thank goodness Gen VI changed things around with Fire/Psychic.

I don't know. Gen V's pokemon for me didn't always feel... like pokemon. Some of them are just visually unappealing, or it feel like they were trying to hard to make up the numbers. They did introduce a lot of pokemon in that Gen. It just didn't look natural, at times. But the story is very good. I'll give it that.

Gen IV gets quite a lot of hate. I don't know. It wasn't 'groundbreaking' but it didn't do a lot of things wrong, either. It was a solid, if safe, generation of games, which also gave us remakes of Gen II, which is nice. The pokemon designs are fine, if reminiscent of Gen I at times. Starly is basically a different pidgey.

Gen III had some of the most borked designs. Most of the legendaries look really CGI. Groudon just looks bizzare and blocky to me. There was also a ton of water in this generation, which is a marked change. They removed the day/night cycle, which felt somewhat of a backtrack. I don't know, Gen III didn't catch me.

I'll have to go with Gen II, though, for improving on what Gen I lay, and for giving us a fantastic post-game journey through Kanto.
    Formy, stop. Gen 1 had Mr. Mime, Jynx, Muk which was a heap of slime, and Voltorb and Electrode, which were just Pokeballs with eyes, and let's not forget Magmar with his breast/butt/ballsack forehead, while gen 5 has an epic three-headed dragon, a huge smurfing dinosaur, a giant robot, and an epic sun moth. Really, you can pick good and bad designs from all generations and the only reason 1 gets a pass is due to nostalgia goggles. Really, the gen 1 designs are the blandest things with poor color variety and just as many stupid Pokemon as any other gen, and yet people still complain

And stfu, Emboar is boss and I will fight you for it. He's friggin' Ganon!