Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: //fake Jamaican accent// Why you gotta be so rude?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    I feel you on the being rude to service workers thing. You can learn a lot about somebody based on how they treat the guy who serves them their food.

I was in South Africa recently and having dinner with a group of these modern judgy feminist types, who spent most of the evening moaning about how tough their lives were (even though they were all in at least their 6th year at university fully paid for by their rich fathers). When it came to ordering, one of them started asking stupid questions about the salad (because she was vegan, hadn't you heard?), what specific vegetables were in it, what type of oil was on it etc when the waitress made a completely friendly quip about writing down the recipe or something. This lass looked as if she had just been slapped in the face. She threatened to 'go hungry', started slagging off her 'serving technique', and made a point of not tipping her. All the while, her friends sat there nodding disapprovingly. It didn't help that the waitress was black and these were a bunch of white saffers (though a few were from Botswana).

There were a few annoying occurrences over that dinner but that was the one that left steam coming out of my ears.
    Did u just make this all up?

sounds so reddit lmao

Blog Entries

nope lol

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This doesn't really translate well into English, but in Polish there are two ways to address someone. One is "ty", which is an informal form of you, while "Pan/Pani" is a more formal variant, kinda translating to something like "sir/madam", but it's less formal than that and that more commonly used.

So generally, "ty" is used in very informal contexts - you know someone, or you're in a place that is specifically meant to start interactions between you, so you use "ty". Also, children use the form among each other, as well as adults talking to kids. Usually when two adults meet, they use "Pan/Pani" until they both agree that "ty" is fine.

Now what I hate is when strangers on the street talk to me using the "ty" form. It's like they're invading my personal space or trying to show me they are superior. I don't know them, i do not wish to get up close and personal with them, so I do not wish for them to address me like that.

This is why Starbucks annoys me in Poland, because the company policy says they have to address their clients with the "ty" form - a misguided attempt at emulating the English "you" and how informal it is compared to the Polish "Pan/Pani", but it really just comes off as rude, or condescending even. Polish is not English, and neither "ty" or "Pan/Pani" is a full equivalent of "you" so that form of talking should not be appropriated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Invading personal space, yeah. It's not okay. I get they are trying to be friendly, but when they know I don't enjoy being touched and whatever, don't make me the bad guy because you can't have your way. I hate that. Like "Oh why do you have to be like that?". Excuse me? It's my body and I have every damn right to decide who does and does not touch it. Jackasses.

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ooh...too many to narrow it down to one.

My pet peeves:

As a driver, encountering other selfish and spatially unaware drivers. Also, meeting other drivers who think they own the road and drive up my ass.
    As a shopper, lack of manners or general rudeness to shop staff/service staff. They are there to help and are not a lower class of people.
    As a chivalrous man, the fact that acts like opening the door for other human beings are often taken for granted and not noticed. Manners cost nothing after all.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I smurfing hate when people get too close to me in queues. I hate it even more if I step forward to GET AWAY AND THEY FOLLOW ME. ARRRGHHHH INEXPLICABLE RAGE.