can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah it's between a third and a fourth like Mirage said, I think. It's a sizable game.

Yay Leia Leia and Elize, my two favourites, have some really great moments together later on

Eh the last leg of the game is so crazy I can't remember how long it is. There's three really insane changes that completely change the game and I think they are done really well. And there is plenty of game to enjoy out of what they bring to the story rather than just an end game twist. You might be around the halfway point. I'm not sure. Though if it helps, my girlfriend and I beat it around 65 or 70 hours. Which I loved. There was so much game to enjoy. But almost every Tales game makes you feel like you're coming up on the end and then completely changes gears on you. Usually multiple times

Edit:
    Just checked the how long to beat website and apparently my clear time is on the completionist spectrum. Tells you how skewed my judgement of length is. So they are probably right. You're probably not actually near the halfway point. I just remember Leia coming really late. But apparently I took as long with the last half of the game as most people take with the whole thing

I don't think we did a bunch of grinding or side quests though. Never felt like we were padding or prolonging the experience. Just basically doing what we wanted and enjoyed the ride
    Last edited by Vyk; 02-24-2016 at 12:41 PM.

I just finished this game (Tales of Xilia) the other day, playing Milla's storyline. I really, really enjoyed it, a lot more than I was expecting to. The combat was fluid and engaging and the story had plenty of twists and turns to keep me interested. It was quite old-fashioned in some ways, and it definitely wheeled out some time-worn JRPG tropes, but it was always thoroughly charming with it.

If I had to pick a favourite character, I think I would probably have to go with Milla, although that likely has a lot to do with the fact that I spent more time with her than any of the other characters. The fact that she's pretty much my age might have something to do with it. I find it hard to take twelve and fifteen year old characters (i.e. Leia, Jude and Elize) entirely seriously. Most of all though, I'm a sucker for a strong female character. I know that her voice acting in the English-speaking version gets a lot of shtick, but I really don't think it's justified: her voice verged on the robotic at times, but that very much seemed to fit her character. No spoilers, but the ending for her was just right: I saw it coming from a long way off, but that didn't really matter because it suited her perfectly.

I bought Tales of Symphonia collection a while ago. I got about ~4 hours into it and could scarcely believe how boring it was. It was also kind of difficult, but that was less of an issue. I have Tales of Xillia on my PS3, can anyone that's played both compare/contrast?

Likely no one will agree with me, but my favorite game in the series is Graces f. The combat system is just sublime. I also didn't hate the characters and story as much as most people do though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mr. Carny raced ahead, I've just started Chapter Three after the battle of Fezebel Marsh. The game is definitely speeding up now, and getting much more serious. I'm loving it, and ToX 2 is definitely on a list to grab.

Aerial combat is still tricky to get the hang of, and I've still not got used to memorising all the different shortcuts for my artes. But I'm managing, so all's well! I've defeated two Devil Beasts at level 46~, which I'm very proud of. It involved a frantic case of stunlocking two of them with power hits by their weak element, combined with healing from Elize, who was utterly key in both battles. There were moments when I down to just Jude, but careful manoeuvring and item using saved me.

Honestly though, Elize's Nurse ability is so useful. I defeated the Harpy from Bermia Gorge, and the beast in the Vicalle Mines. I briefly attempted the one in Xagut Floodmeadow, but it is way too fast, and I fled.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hopefully you guys decide to try some of the other games in the series. The gameplay is rougher in most of them since they're older games, but the great character interactions and development and the plot twists are usually series staples.

Graces is a bit of a base breaker. Some people love what it does differently and others not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Hopefully you guys decide to try some of the other games in the series. The gameplay is rougher in most of them since they're older games, but the great character interactions and development and the plot twists are usually series staples.
    I think I probably will, as long as the gamplay isn't TOO much rougher. I don't want playing the game to be a total slog.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You should probably avoid Symphonia then. It's tied for my favourite but it introduced the current battle system so it's very rough

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I remember playing Symphonia and my Mom thought angel feathers was a swear in the game because Collete was spamming it so much. :bigmsile: The thing with Symphonia is it takes a while for the plot to get good. Once you get to the Asgard human ranch it starts getting better.

I actually just picked up Xillia and I'm looking forward to it.