Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XCOM 2

The only thing that has bugged me so far is that I wanted to enable Ironman, but because I had the tutorial enabled I never got the pop-up. But the tutorial has story. So if I want Ironman I have to restart without the story elements given in the tutorial. Bah.

Other than that:

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The only thing that has bugged me so far is that I wanted to enable Ironman, but because I had the tutorial enabled I never got the pop-up. But the tutorial has story. So if I want Ironman I have to restart without the story elements given in the tutorial. Bah.

Other than that:
    A lot of the previewers said it's probably better not to enable Ironman yet. While the game is really solid and really fun, there are still a couple of minor glitches that are making people hesitate (they think they'll be ironed out quickly enough). Losing people because of stupidity? That's your fault. Losing them because they miss a 99% shot? That's XCOM, baby. Losing them because line of sight glitched or something like that? That's a lot less welcome.

Did you enable the mods?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ho lee trout this game is good

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

Other than that:
    A lot of the previewers said it's probably better not to enable Ironman yet. While the game is really solid and really fun, there are still a couple of minor glitches that are making people hesitate (they think they'll be ironed out quickly enough). Losing people because of stupidity? That's your fault. Losing them because they miss a 99% shot? That's XCOM, baby. Losing them because line of sight glitched or something like that? That's a lot less welcome.

Did you enable the mods?
    I haven't yet, I may do so tonight if they won't require restarting my campaign.

Well, the start up for this game was atrocious. Pulling one frame every few minutes on the main menu.

Graphics defaulted to minimum and after I sorted through them and reset, it stabilized a lot. Hoping to still get good stream/recording quality out of it. But geez, it seems badly optimized.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I've seen a LOT of people, myself included, who have had trouble with stuttering and low frame rates. :firaxis:!

More importantly this game is balls hard, I'm six weeks in and it's over, I've got no money and one rookie left and that's all, it's amazing

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I cracked and am downloading it now.

I'm so poor...

So, fellow XCOM players. I would like to ask you:

What was the fate of Jane Kelly?

Mine was killed on the second or third mission. A routine VIP extraction was undone by an armoured turret on the roof of the holding facility. I blew a hole in the roof, infiltrated, sent the VIP outside, so close to extraction! But another pod lay in wait to ambush us. Suddenly Jane had ADVENT soldiers and a Sectoid one side, a Turret with high ground on the other. I extracted the scientist, and Kelly fought valiantly, but she eventually succumbed along with another unit; Lopez. Tiffany and Mike looked set to escape as reinforcements closed in, but when the timer expired Mike was ONE SQUARE away from the extraction zone, so he was captured and only Tiffany returned home.

It's interesting that he's captured and doesn't show up in the memorial. I wonder if I'll have the opportunity to rescue him at some point.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I survived my last two missions with no one dead through what can only be described as genuine miracles. One involved my last soldier to pull out, who I was fully expecting to just die and be left there like the useless corpse he would be, being way too far from the drop zone to make it in one turn, trying to get there in two would leave him too exposed, and he was kind of hurting. Sectoid comes along and makes him panic. He runs away from the enemies and slightly closer to the drop zone, shoots dead the only guy in a position to flank and kill him, and every other enemy misses that turn. He's also now within running distance of the drop zone with at least two enemy soldiers on overwatch. It's the last turn before a forced retreat so smurf it: I run for the drop zone with one health, both overwatch shooters miss despite spectacular positioning on their part, get to the drop zone and get him the hell out of there. It's hard to describe it in a way that does justice to it but that Sectoid making him panic saved his damn life.

The following was a retaliation mission and it wasn't as impressive, but I lucked my way into killing all of the aliens and saving the civs with a three man force of rookies because all but one guy was injured and I could only afford to recruit two more. I honestly thought that faceless son of a bitch was going to kill at least one of them.

And as far as glitches, I will admit to reloading an earlier save because of one. I wouldn't normally, but I literally lost a mission because the enemy being highlighted on screen when deciding my attacks was not the I was actually firing at when I pulled the trigger on a lot of crucial shots. I can accept losing a mission, but not because of stupid trout like shooting the reanimated corpse instead of the Sectoid when the guy in the crosshairs on screen is the damn Sectoid.

By the way I know you're all wondering so I took some official measurements for how far Stun Lancers are able to run and use their attack in a single turn. When you adjust for the additional square afforded by the slash ability it comes to... 850 trillion miles.

They're relatively easy to deal with though, bear in mind that Viper tongues go twice that far and through surfaces such as walls, shipping containers and the molten core of the planet.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

God damn this game is hard and getting harder. I'm actually to the point where timers will quite easily screw me over if I'm not moving closer to the extraction point every damn turn while fighting multiple enemies. My training school needs to finish so I can have more than a four person team already.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jane "Templar" Kelly was my joint most experienced operative and by the end of the final mission had over 90 kills to her name.

She used a sword for most of those.

Words cannot describe how much I despise Archons.

"Aha! Ambushed you! Take this Overwatch trap you jerk!"
    *Missed*
    *Missed*
    *Missed*
    *Missed*
    *Missed*

"Darn. Still, I survived your turn, now I can close right in to point blank range, all with 85%+ hit chance!"
    *Missed*
    *Dodge*
    *Missed*
    *Dodge*

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Archons are annoying for a bit, but by the time you're rocking plasma weapons and the best armour they're not too bad.

I ran into a gatekeeper for the first time. Just as Shen was popping up to say it was more graceful or whatever than your typical alien unit it ploughed through the or four pieces of cover with all the grace of a stampeding bull.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Archons are why you take a guy with Holo-targeting and stick Tracer Rounds on a sniper. Or use guaranteed damage stuff like grenades, rockets, and psi powers.

Also yeah I love how Gatekeepers are these beautiful perfect spheres (when closed at least) but they bust through stuff like the Kool Aid Man.