Thread: Dragon Quest Builders Released Today!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Dragon Quest Builders Released Today!

A new spin-off entry in the Dragon Quest series called Dragon Quest Builders came out in Japan today for the Playstation 3, Playstation 4, and the Playstation Vita.

In a unique twist, the game can be best described as a Dragon Quest/Minecraft hybrid. Indeed, the game uses a voxelated graphical style reminiscent of the popular sandbox game, and it involves gathering materials such as slime remains.

The game is set in Alefgard and follows the bad ending of Dragon Quest I, wherein the protagonist accept's the Dragonlord's offer to rule together, but is in fact tricked by him and killed, resulting in monsters overflowing the world. Our new protagonist sets out to set right what once went wrong, and that's how Dragon Quest Builders begins.

There is no official release date in the West for this game, and there have been no announcements in that regards so far. What do you think: will this game get released here? Does it look interesting enough for that to happen? Let us know!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I wish this wasn't JP only. I would love to have a minecraft-esque game but with DQ. That'd be amazing! I hope it comes over here

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's hard to say.

Aside from Heroes and Monsters, none of the DQ spinoffs really come out here. But then again, it's heavily reminiscent of Minecraft, which is very popular here, so who knows?

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I don't play or particularly enjoy Minecraft. At all. And while Ive played the first four DQ and some of 8 and 9, I think DQ is THE most stale RPG series...ever. (though i know this is trying to change it up.) So this doesn't appeal to me.

But, to each their own. I don't want to completely poo on the game, but I find something about it to be just wrong. I mean you can't copyright a gaming "style" per se, but Minecraft is so unique it feels like it should have the rights to it.

Positives: it looks really pretty and crisp.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, Minecraft didn't exactly invent voxels, so I don't think this is in any way copyright infringement.