Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube System Crash Controversy

Default YouTube System Abuse/Failure Controversy

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Skyblade; 01-28-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is very concerning, especially the part about channels being deleted out of nowhere. I had a big enough scare when my videos momentarily disappeared from my dashboard and I had to refresh to get them back up. Luckily, I have all my reviews backed up, and I'm not too bother if I lose the older vids on my channel.

What confused me is when he said he could still use custom thumbnails after one copyright strike. I got one (thank you, Toei) that was manually detected and I can't use custom thumbnails anymore, or monetize my videos. Don't know what else been taken away, but since I rarely make videos that are ten minutes long, the fifteen minute thing doesn't affect me right now. I also have several videos I can't monetize in the future, but that's mainly due to the copyright owners either having something set up, or manually searching for these things and flagging them.

I can't even see the comment page on that video, but that might be a problem on my end.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

the random deleting is dumb. people like IHE getting deleted. who knows could avgn be nex? or or could it be..... no no. Ayen wont be deleted. if he does well. look out youtube. Ayen & the mist will be coming for ya!

Articles
    Blog Entries

AVGN had his channel taken down before, but since he's one of the bigger channels on the site that brings in money for them, he always get his channel back before long. Same thing for IHE. It's the smaller channels that suffer the worst because YouTube doesn't give a smurf about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    AVGN had his channel taken down before, but since he's one of the bigger channels on the site that brings in money for them, he always get his channel back before long. Same thing for IHE. It's the smaller channels that suffer the worst because YouTube doesn't give a smurf about them.
    Channel Awesome and the Nostalgia Critic aren't exactly small. I think he's larger than AVGN at this point.

I've heard some rumors that YouTube has been trying to play ball with Hollywood and actual film producers lately, and dropping quality of service for smaller content creators as those talks continue.

No idea of the veracity of those claims.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wasn't claiming he was? I meant in general when it comes to the removing of YouTube accounts the bigger the Youtuber, the faster they can get their account back up.

This situation is of course bigger than just account deletion, and I didn't know they haven't been making any money all this time. Having the page crash while filling out a counter claim is also pretty disturbing.
    Last edited by Ayen; 01-29-2016 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Got some facts wrong.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

The only thing I can say is to echo Doug's sentiment that there need to be clear rules to play by in order for things to remain fair. Doug has shown in the past that he's willing to adjust his style to compromise with YouTube and Hollywood (like the clipless reviews in the style of that Be King Rewind movie). There also needs to be better communication for YouTubers when these issues arise, though I have a feeling they are dicking with Doug and other channels affected by this. Hopefully this gets resolved in a way where people are allowed to create their content.

Personally, I am baffled why all these huge companies get their panties in a twist over people using clips under fair use. IT'S FREE ADVERTING EVEN IF THEY ARE BAD MOUTHING IT. I have seen so many video games and so many movies get a following regardless of quality because people started to talk about them. Sure, it's uncool and illegal to straight up put a whole copy of something on the internet. That angle of it I get. In fact, I am surprised there are so much unofficial music on YouTube going around, but a reviewer will get straight up shut down because they used a clip or two. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it is proof that the whole system is broken.

Another interesting view on the events:

So, yeah, it seems that YouTube is just trying to become a full fledged television network, and squeeze out all of it's less profitable or less safe content creators.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

What is a clipless review?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    It's basically where you do an entire review without using any clips of the movie.

In Doug's case, he used sketch comedy to fill in the blanks where usual movie clips would be in order to get around copyright.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Yeah, him and his cast would act out the movie while reviewing it in a purposely humorous bootleg fashion.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Aint as bad as it sounds btw. but clips are way better. i think its cool they act it out though

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Aint as bad as it sounds btw. but clips are way better. i think its cool they act it out though
    I actually like the clipless reviews better because it forces them to get way more creative and funny in my opinion. So many of the hardcore NC fanbase has a stick up their ass about those type of reviews and it baffles me. Because of the nature of the reviews, the pace, timing, and straight up execution of the reviews are much better and way funnier.

Having said that, Doug or anyone should be allowed to work within the walls of fair use without worrying about YouTube dicking them over.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    I actually like the clipless reviews better because it forces them to get way more creative and funny in my opinion. So many of the hardcore NC fanbase has a stick up their ass about those type of reviews and it baffles me. Because of the nature of the reviews, the pace, timing, and straight up execution of the reviews are much better and way funnier.

Having said that, Doug or anyone should be allowed to work within the walls of fair use without worrying about YouTube dicking them over.
    Those discussions are hilarious. Every time there's a clipless review you'll get a 20+ paged discussion on the Channel Awesome forums about how they suck, the sketch comedy don't work, comparisons made to Demo Reel, threats to quit watching, insisting their criticism doesn't boil down to 'change equal bad', and the strengths and weaknesses of Doug's writing. Which are all valid, but, if you're talking about them more than the regular reviews, why on earth would he stop making them?

And even the most hated one (Hocus Pocus) still has more likes than dislikes, anyway.

Back on the YT system front, I and some other smaller channels have started using ZippCast as a backup channel in case anything should happen to the main one on YouTube. Looks like a lot of people have gotten the idea because the admins there (yeah, they're ran by real people) aren't used to all the traffic they're getting.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Well it's all going to be related to the rollout of this I think

https://www.youtube.com/red