Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YouTube System Crash Controversy

Articles
    Blog Entries

So... they got monetizing back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    So... they got monetizing back.

Funny how that works.

I guess YouTube is telling people to go public FIRST, because their systems don't work.

Apologies for resurrecting this, but I want to keep this visible:

So, apparently, monetization can not only be put on hold, but whoever issues a claim can (even if they're wrong), claim all the money the content creator should be making.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That's been the case for a while now. I have a couple of videos being monetized by the claimants as we speak, which I find amusing since they don't get that many hits anyway. It doesn't affect me as much since I'm not popular enough to make any meaningful money from monetiztion, and if I ever am I'm not against creating a patreon as a workaround.

They probably could have chose a much better hashtag, though.

Blog Entries

Boogie had a good video on the fair use stuff and how some people just blatantly disregard the 3rd and/or 4th clauses in it and play the entire video that they are commentating on which, is illegal under the fair use act and can cut into the originals market share.

Last edited by escobert; 02-17-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Just in case anyone is actually curious as to some of the legalities of the situation, here's the Stephanie Lenz vs Universal Court Case.

I bet there's a couple of people out there who are posting fake copyright claims (since there's no consequence) with the sole purpose to steal monetization, and basically get free money from YouTube creators and YouTube in general. Without a penalty of law, because it's apparently not stealing? It's tempting, but I'm not that evil. Or maybe it's not really as easy as it sounds..

Makes me almost regret getting YouTubeRed. I just loathe ads. And I watch YouTube on my consoles more than my computer, so an ad blocker is not the solution for me. But if that turns out to legitimately be the reason, then I'll just set up something like SteamLink and watch YouTube exclusively from the PC with an ad blocker in place

Not much time left for this, but apparently the government is asking for feedback on the DMCA, but their period for commentary only lasts until midnight, EST tonight. That gives you two short hours to put in your thoughts and concerns about the DMCA.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Seeing for-profit attention whores get butthurt is awesome.

Please keep up the good work Youtube.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Seeing for-profit attention whores get butthurt is awesome.

Please keep up the good work Youtube.
    Indeed. And do feel free to share that feedback. Fair Use, does, after all, specifically mention commercial use in its stipulations, something that has been curiously avoided in a lot of the discussion on the subject. While being commercialized does not prevent a video (or other work) from being Fair Use, it does raise an already substantial standard even higher.

I personally, despise the current system, as I do believe it is incredibly one-sided. But any and all feedback is welcome.