Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best and Worst Beginner FF Games

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd have to go with Final Fantasy X. It was the first one I really loved and I feel like it would suck someone in most effectively. That said, maybe it would be smart to start with VII because let me tell you from experience, once you go 'good graphics' it's hard to go back.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Best: FFX, so user friendly
    Worst: FFXII, VIII, or V. The junction system confuses even seasoned FF veterans. (Not me, I love it )
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Probably FFX. It was my third FF game but it's my second favourite by a long shot. I feel like having the ability to play the HD version just makes it even better to have as someone's first.

Worst would be XIII, because not only is it a terrible FF, but it's a terrible game in general. Why would you recommend a terrible game to someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Odin View Post
    Best: FFX, so user friendly
    Worst: FFXII, VIII, or V. The junction system confuses even seasoned FF veterans. (Not me, I love it )
    Honestly I think most people that rag on the junction system are just lazy and didn't bother with the tutorials or anything. It's really not hard at all, if 10yr old me figured it out after skipping all pf Quistis's tutorials, then anyone can. It even has an auto feature, all you do is pick magic for each stat that gives you the highest bonus and pick magic you want to add to your attack or defense. I have no idea why people would think it's confusing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post
    all you do is pick magic for each stat that gives you the highest bonus and pick magic you want to add to your attack or defense. I have no idea why people would think it's confusing.
    You do what with the who now?

I have heard countless testimonials from people who thought GF spam was the best way to deal damage in FFVIII. As such, it's clear most younger players did not understand Junctioning.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend FFXII or XIII to new players because both games are so radically different from their predecessors. It has nothing to do with quality - it's just that, even for a series that reinvents the wheel with each new installment, those two are very distinctly their own thing. Starting with them would give you bizarre expectations for the other games that will be shattered at every turn. Imagine going from twitch-o-mania FFXIII to FFX's CTB.

I agree with starting with VII. Good game in its own right and not that complicated.

The NES FF's should only be played by people who are already die-hard fans. So they're the worst.

Blog Entries

Probably VII or IX for best starter and I'd say II or VIII for worst starter.
    Last edited by escobert; 02-17-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Here's my opinion:
    Most Beginner Friendly: Final Fantasy 10
    Least Beginner Friendly: Final Fantasy 8