• I don't care

11 18.97%
  • I hate you

0 0%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Aeris or Aerith

Aerith is her correct name.

But it's Aeris for short.

Square are consistently screwing up pretty simple names though, so I can understand not wanting to trust them when they say it in things like Crisis Core. After the debacle of 'Tidus' and 'Zidane' I won't be surprised by anything. Expect to see a remake AVALANCHE team consisting of Bye-gs, Wedd-geh and Jee-see.

It is not "Aeris for short", it is no abbreviation or anything. It is a Latin word that does not describe her name. And Crisis Core is as official and canonical as it gets. Plus every manual and picture ever released.

I always say Aerith. That was used more in the Compilation so I'm used to it now, even if I began with Aeris in FF7.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    It is not "Aeris for short", it is no abbreviation or anything. It is a Latin word that does not describe her name. And Crisis Core is as official and canonical as it gets. Plus every manual and picture ever released.
    I apologise for attempting to be funny.

Aeris is one letter shorter you see. Hence 'Aeris for short'.

I couldn't care less if 'Aerith' is the correct name (which it is and I acknowledge that)...

...she is Aeris to me

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I only tell you the truth, sweaty.
    Laughed harder than I should have.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
    calling me a sweaty.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post
    I couldn't care less if 'Aerith' is the correct name (which it is and I acknowledge that)...

...she is Aeris to me
    And Rinoa Heartilly will always be Seifer's sloppy seconds to me.

It's nice that the polls keep track of the names. Makes it easier to make my enemy list.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    calling me a sweaty.
    it ok sweaty i have 3 PhDs in engilhs

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    calling me a sweaty.
    it ok sweaty i have 3 PhDs in engilhs
    an a hae 4 PdHs in egiush waht is youre pont?

considering every time i hear her name in Japanese it's air-ee-su and not air-ee-thu, i'm gonna say Aerith is the correct spelling with Aeris being the correct pronunciation... just the same as Tidus and Zidane sound closer to their Japanese pronunciations of tee-dus and jee-don Aeris sounds closer in my opinion to air-ee-su... of course if i were an American voice actor i'd want to hear the original pronunciation before laying the translation down in stone and causing all of this...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    considering every time i hear her name in Japanese it's air-ee-su and not air-ee-thu, i'm gonna say Aerith is the correct spelling with Aeris being the correct pronunciation... just the same as Tidus and Zidane sound closer to their Japanese pronunciations of tee-dus and jee-don Aeris sounds closer in my opinion to air-ee-su... of course if i were an American voice actor i'd want to hear the original pronunciation before laying the translation down in stone and causing all of this...
    There is no "th" sound in Japanese and they always replace it with "s"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I call her what she is called in the relevant game/media.

If I am referring to her without referencing, I call her what she was called in the original game that started it all.

So Aeris generally, but when referring to Crisis Core, Aerith.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Just from an outsiders perspective this is what the Aeris people sound like.

"hey man, this guy I know, Mick, is coming to the party later."

"sounds good."

*mick arrives*

"Hey Mick, nice to meet you."

"Oh, actually my names Mike, but nice to meet you too."

"GET smurfED YOUR NAME IS MICK JUST SHUT UP!"
    Keep in mind Aeris introduces herself as Aeris, so that doesn't quite work. More fitting...

"Hi, my name is Monique."

"Hi, I'm a person who has known Monica since she was in her mother's belly. Her name is Monica. It's definintely Monica."

"Hi, I've known Monique since she was a child, and it's Monique, definitely."

"Hi, I'm her parent. No, her name is Monica. We wanted to call her Monica but we accidentally put Monique on the birth certificate, and now she goes around calling herself Monique anyway, as do a lot of her friends. But at some points in her life she has also called herself Monica, so her name is totally Monica. But to be honest, when we enhanced the videos/stories we had of her during the times she called herself Monique in those videos/stories, we decided to keep calling her Monique. We've just found out that there is additional writing/footage of that stage in her life and we're not sure if we're going to label her Monica or Monique in that just yet, but I'm sure one friend will be very happy and gloat about it while the other will get defensive. Her friends are weird. We try to ignore them."
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post

...she is Aeris to me
    And Rinoa Heartilly will always be Seifer's sloppy seconds to me.

It's nice that the polls keep track of the names. Makes it easier to make my enemy list.
    That's not how sloppy seconds work

and also:

AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS AERIS

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    Fynn has already mentioned everything necessary. They replace sounds but it does not change what it is. Sephiroth is not pronounced Sephiros (or should I really go the whole way and tell you that you all pronounce it wrong because the actual word is pronounced "Sephirot"? no, because the character's name was written with a "su" to show his pronounciation is the English one), Aerith is not pronounced Aeris. "The" is also, depending on which "the"-pronounciation replaced with "za", for example. The foreign word "Bird" is written as "Bado", as the "a" is supposed to imitate the "err" sound of "Bird", same for the "err" sound in "Birth".

And Bob, Aerith does not introduce herself as Aeris. When the translator writes in that textbox "pre89iuq34n985uü 32urhp3iq4u" she does not introduce herself as that.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-09-2016 at 02:26 PM.