• I hate you

0 0%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Aeris or Aerith

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You know full well I'm referring to default names provided by the game, and the name that comes in the game manual. Don't act dumb to the point.

EDIT: FYI, I'm honestly certain that Square Enix don't give a crap what fans call her and I think that people who argue it to death as if it's a serious matter need to learn that characters can have more than one official name.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    You know full well I'm referring to default names provided by the game, and the name that comes in the game manual. Don't act dumb to the point.
    The default name in the program is Aerith, the translator just changed it for weird reasons when the naming window was triggered. And I do not dumb act by this point because whether "lfsklk.afjdsökgrjlk" is written in the text box or in the naming window is really of no relevance here. It is all the same. Hell, do you know how many German words in the Atelier RPG series are mistranslated? They are still the German word, not the weird version of whatever was understood.

EDIT: FYI, I'm honestly certain that Square Enix don't give a crap what fans call her ...
    Never argued that.

... I think that people who argue it to death as if it's a serious matter need to learn that characters can have more than one official name.
    Or, alternatively the others need to accept the fact and learn how those things work and that right is not the same is legit as well as that a retconned version to correct a mistake already voids the mistranslated name. Basically the entire existence of it as a mistranslation voids it. There is a difference between "oh, but let's take that as Western version now, we are aware of what she was supposed to be called" and "Imma call her Aeris because I think that is what she is called". I am the first guy who mentions if there are more correct official names and I am sure this fairness can be seen.

Aeris is a legitimate translation but not the right one. I want to know what time it is. I am asking you "could you please tell me what time it is?". You answer "yes". That's it. Legitimate answer to a legitimate meaning of my sentence as you have the ability to tell me. But that is not what was meant. I wanted to know the time, so after your "yes" more had to come. Therefore not the right answer in this situation - with a very obvious established context - and therefore an error in communiation and a disturbance of communication.

There are more examples but i think it is good enough to get the point.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-09-2016 at 02:48 PM.

In terms of information about games from Final Fantasy series, I trust this website.
    However, I'm a little surprised that one of EoFF skins is named "Aeris Reborn"...

Everytime I read something about Final Fantasy and a Wiki ... no ...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yep! It also mentions that her name is "alternatively Aeris". People who get defensive about one side or the other are silly (and I used to be one of those people).

Today I learned that Barret was initially intended to be Bullet. I'm so glad they named him Barret.

EDIT: Regarding the mistranslation malarkey, come on, you really think that half the words in any language aren't just typos and mistranslations that became actual things? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Zanmato View Post
    However, I'm a little surprised that one of EoFF skins is named "Aeris Reborn"...
    Because she's Aeris

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    The FF Wiki is actually pretty reliable
    Except when it isn't. And Bob exactly confirms that with his "they alternatively ...". Such things are very convenient when people just want their misinformation confirmed. She is "alternatively" called "Aeris" as that is in the game, not because it is a correct alternative name. Terra is a correct alternative name. Bartz is one.

And Barret's name is "Barett", not "Bullet". "Baretto".

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But if you go past the first paragraph, the wiki page gives the exact explanation you gave for the name change

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    But if you go past the first paragraph, the wiki page gives the exact explanation you gave for the name change
    Which name are you talking about right now?

Also, I already differentiated between "legitimate katakana conversion" and "right katakana conversion". Of course you can convert a "su" to an "s" or a "th", a "ru" to an "r", a "ru", an "l", a "lu", but you have to take origin + intention into consideration.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Barret's name is Barret. xD

The name Barret is a Japanese transliteration of the English word "bullet." Before Final Fantasy VII had an English localization Barret was referred to as "Bullet" in some pre-release magazine articles. His last name Wallace is of French origin and means "foreigner."

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Barret's name is Barret. xD

The name Barret is a Japanese transliteration of the English word "bullet." Before Final Fantasy VII had an English localization Barret was referred to as "Bullet" in some pre-release magazine articles. His last name Wallace is of French origin and means "foreigner."
    Do you really want me to show you the Japanese manual again? Magazine's mean nothing. I have a magazine that pronounces "Xehanort" as "Xeanorht" and "Galenth Dysley" and "Garenth Dysley".

Barett's entire name is French. "Barett (that bandana thing) Wallace".

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is legitimately hilarious...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Aeristh

Source: Final Fantasy VII Manual, pg. 6, published in 1997, owner: Square-Enix